News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

The Golfer's Journal was nice enough to ask me to contribute a "Yardage Book" feature on the 12th hole at White Bear Yacht Club.

This was a fun exercise, although I'm grateful for Casey Bannon at TGJ for his editing of my work as well as for all of the beautiful photos of the hole that illustrate the article. 

If interested, take a look below:

Yardage Book: No. 12 at White Bear Yacht Club (golfersjournal.com)
H.P.S.

MCirba

Re: Yardage Book: No. 12 at White Bear Yacht Club - The Golfer's Journal
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 03:21:42 PM »
Great stuff, Pat!

Hope to see it in person some day.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Steve Lapper

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 03:50:45 PM »
WBYC is easily one of my favorite courses played in the last several decades.

The course is pure fun, wildly strategic, and possesses 18 holes of fun and diverse architectural interest. It flows across significant, yet not severe, elevation and it's mix of holes and directions-played will challenge any level of player without producing unnecessary angst. There are a plethora of blind and semi-blind shots, but none of it feels remotely tricky or unfair. The walk is sturdy, yet not painful. It is the very definition of sporty, especially with the bar strategically placed alongside the walk from the 18th green back to the 1st tee.

The clubhouse itself is a trip back in the time machine, oozing charm, character and simplicity without any silly concessions made to modern excess. For me, the practicality was comfortable and inviting. I played it in a light rain, on 2.5 hours of sleep after travel misadventures and even though thoroughly exhausted and soaked, wanted nothing more than to do it all over again. Any golf aficionado worth their salt should know that WBYC is all anyone would want for their home club.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 03:54:30 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

V_Halyard

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 04:00:25 PM »
Great tome PCC!

As I read the comments, I just don't understand why Cirba refuses to cross the Cuyahoga.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Michael Chadwick

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 04:17:11 PM »
Does this mean you're now free to finish the LACC v Riviera match, Pat?  ;)
Instagram: mj_c_golf

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 05:01:08 PM »
Love that hole.  Wish I had more clients who would let me build a green like that!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2022, 09:46:10 AM »
Wel done Pat and love that hole. WBYC was a challenging course to get on, but well worth the struggle.
Mr Hurricane

Buck Wolter

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 09:53:57 AM »

Good read Pat --only played it once but that tee shot made me pucker

Co-Course Record Holder -- buried the lede
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2022, 12:26:17 PM »
Love that hole. It took me a couple of minutes to find the tee. WBYC is a great club. The course is extraordinarily fun. The first hole was a good introduction to what was to come and the shot into that wonderful green was terrific.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

MCirba

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2022, 12:33:57 PM »
Great tome PCC!

As I read the comments, I just don't understand why Cirba refuses to cross the Cuyahoga.

Too busy crossing The Rubicon, Vaughn!   ;D

Seriously, exploring golf in the upper Midwest will be my focus over the next few years hopefully, as it's the biggest hole in my domestic resume and I hear the region has some of the very best people and a few decent courses.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2022, 02:37:14 PM »

The Golfer's Journal was nice enough to ask me to contribute a "Yardage Book" feature on the 12th hole at White Bear Yacht Club.

This was a fun exercise, although I'm grateful for Casey Bannon at TGJ for his editing of my work as well as for all of the beautiful photos of the hole that illustrate the article. 

If interested, take a look below:

Yardage Book: No. 12 at White Bear Yacht Club (golfersjournal.com)
What a wonderful read! Thanks for sharing.

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2022, 11:07:48 AM »
Does this mean you're now free to finish the LACC v Riviera match, Pat?  ;)

Perhaps...  ;)
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2022, 11:11:00 AM »
Co-Course Record Holder -- buried the lede

A bit of a technicality - I shot a 65 from the "Black" / Championship tees that were put in a handful of years ago but is used for Club Championship type tournaments these days. It plays the course at ~6350 yards but as a par-70 with #9 and #16 playing as par-4's.

The slightly longer Blue course record is held by former Walker Cupper Dave Tentis who shot a 62 or 63 from the Blue Tees back in the 1980's I believe.
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back