News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Subscription & Guest Fee increases for 2023?
« on: December 09, 2022, 04:04:32 AM »
The total amount isn't really needed here as we aren't measuring the amount of conspicuous consumption we enjoy.  What is the % increase from last year to this year for each? 

• Just had one of my clubs announce a 4%, increase on monthly dues which is the max without a vote.
  • No increase to guest fees (however last year they rose guest fees 33%!!)
Considering inflation is still 7=% in the USA and in double figures in the UK, I would expect some unhappy golfers here when increases are announced.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Adrian_Stiff

Re: Subscription & Guest Fee increases for 2023?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 05:54:24 AM »
10-12% seems to be the number in the UK that many clubs are thinking about.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 07:34:28 AM »
Likely more lively discussion times forthcoming in committee meeting rooms at many a private members club up and down the land than have been had for a few years especially at clubs where committees have over the last few years been less than competent in forethought and planning ahead.
Envisage Colonel Mustard, Chairman of Finance, who doesn’t want to increase subscriptions too much (partly coz he’s a skinflint and partly coz he’s up for re-election at the next AGM!) whereas Miss Scarlett, Chair of Clubhouse, wants more money to replace the knackered boiler and heating system that should have been changed 7 years ago and the Rev Green, Chairman of Greens, wants to replace a clapped out greens mower and undertake the health and safety modifications to the sheds that have been put off for the last 10 yrs.
Interesting times indeed.
atb

James Reader

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 01:13:05 PM »
I fear we’re going to see a fair few UK clubs going under over the next year or so.  With inflation as it is, particularly for energy, costs are increasing well into double digits and many members won’t be prepared or, in a lot of cases, financially able to accept equivalent increases in their fees.  I’m aware of at least two clubs local to me that are desperately trying to generate income by offering multi-year membership deals (e.g. pay 3 years fees now and get a 4th year free).  At one of those I understand the mood amongst the members is “why on earth would I do that when the club might not be around by then?”.

Worrying times for many clubs.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 01:34:36 PM »
I fear we’re going to see a fair few UK clubs going under over the next year or so.  With inflation as it is, particularly for energy, costs are increasing well into double digits and many members won’t be prepared or, in a lot of cases, financially able to accept equivalent increases in their fees.  I’m aware of at least two clubs local to me that are desperately trying to generate income by offering multi-year membership deals (e.g. pay 3 years fees now and get a 4th year free).  At one of those I understand the mood amongst the members is “why on earth would I do that when the club might not be around by then?”.

Amazing to me when here in the states you can't even get on a waiting list in certain areas...........
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 03:24:59 PM »
My "home course" went up about 10%… but they hadn't increased rates in the last six or seven years.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 06:29:11 PM »
The dues at my away club have gone up $310 for national members in the last three years.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2022, 12:01:11 PM »
Jeff et al:

This topic is out of my wheelhouse. My qualifications for commenting are that I have paid dues at two clubs (at different times) since I left the nest.  50 years plus.  We just got a new fee.  A 2 1/2% Convenience Fee.  Who's convenience I might ask.  Since we retired ten years ago we have tried to spread big costs out over the full 12 months if possible.  So for ten years we took up the club's program of dues over 12 months rather than the one time everything in March as in our working past.  The monthly payments started at our year end of October so, using our monthly method, the club got 6 months dues by March and 6 months after March.  So 6 months in advance.  In the long run that must help the club right?  So now we have to find out when the dues are actually due.  Can we wait now until March, no fee etc.

Have others been hit with a Convenience Fee?

Definitely NOT a convenience to us.
Anthony

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2022, 06:42:29 AM »

Four years for the price of Three is just how you do go bust.
it will be interesting to see how the shops have done this xmas. Pubs are quiet. As soon as the money spend stops you become a poor country. Worst thing about the UK now is how much you have to pay staff which equals a pint in Spain being £2.66 and a pint in the UK being £4.66. A can/pint from the supermarket is £0.66.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back