News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Stephen Smith

Re: Maketewa CC restoration
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 03:10:12 PM »
Thanks for sharing, what great videos.  I need to figure out a way to make it down there (from Columbus) when it is done.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 03:40:58 PM »
The videos of the work look great.  This is one of the few Ross courses in Ohio that I have not played.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 06:48:27 PM »
Photo tour from my visit way back in June of 2014:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/Maketewah/index.html

I would love to see it after the current work.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

JLahrman

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 08:54:09 AM »
Thanks Bill, I'm going to have a look at the videos. I grew up in Cincinnati but never had chance to play Maketewah. I've been to the clubhouse a few times for social functions but never played the course. The property is somewhat hilly, like a lot of the Cincinnati area is.

For those who've played them, how does Maketewah compare to some of the other privates in the area? Clovernook, Terrace Park, Hyde Park, Losantiville, etc.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2022, 02:31:43 PM »
This was interesting to me because I have been going to Cincinnati off and on since 1984, and I had never heard anyone mention Maketewa.  Really, no one ever mentioned any course except Camargo [where I've been going all that time] and Coldstream [which was a top 100 course back then].

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2022, 03:04:05 PM »
This was interesting to me because I have been going to Cincinnati off and on since 1984, and I had never heard anyone mention Maketewa.  Really, no one ever mentioned any course except Camargo [where I've been going all that time] and Coldstream [which was a top 100 course back then].

Tom,

When you do see it, be sure and check out Avon Field GC which is right right down the street, maybe a mile away, if that. Quirky, old and very fun municipal course.
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

JLahrman

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2022, 04:33:10 PM »

Tom,

When you do see it, be sure and check out Avon Field GC which is right right down the street, maybe a mile away, if that. Quirky, old and very fun municipal course.

Avon Field is a historic course, many years ago was where most Black players in Cincinnati would go to play. It is a fun little course!

ward peyronnin

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2022, 08:17:13 PM »
Son 2 graduated Xavier and I developed a relationship with the golf team there. Maketawah is their home course and Xavier alums helped build a cracking practice field and facility.
It is a classic Ross routing and green platform playing field. I enjoyed it immensely and at the time they told me the course was one of the longest played continuously U S Open qualifier courses ; like 68 years.

Clovernook CC is another very sporty and clever course designed by Langford and Moreau well wirht several plays.
Hyde Park would never let me on and I didnt try Coldstream.

"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2022, 10:05:48 PM »
I think Maketewa was the first Donald Ross course I ever played. 

It was back in 1996 and having played over 2000 different courses since then it is a little hard to remember all of the details, but I recall enjoying it quite a bit.

I hope to get back there and see the new "old" version.  The video looks good.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 10:10:02 PM by Daryl "Turboe" Boe »
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back