News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JBovay

Barnbougle advice (slightly OT)
« on: December 02, 2022, 09:52:31 AM »
I'm likely going to be in Melbourne in April with my family (wife and preschool son, neither of whom is much of a golfer). Thinking about a side trip to Tasmania, primarily to play the courses at Barnbougle.

Is the resort the kind of place that my family would enjoy in April, while I'm playing golf? Is the weather good enough for them to enjoy the beach? (How is the beach in general?) What about wildlife spotting on property?
Thanks!

Pete Lavallee

Re: Barnbougle advice (slightly OT)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 10:29:32 AM »
I don’t recall much to do but play golf at Barnbougle, but Lost Farms was just growing in while we were there. Don’t know if your preschooler likes tasting Pinot noir and champagne!  We were displaced from the resort for the last night due to a large group arriving from Melbourne and stayed at the Launceston Resort in town; the family could probably find something to do there.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 11:12:11 AM »
There is a bunch of wildlife at Barnbougle; you'll see wallabies on the golf course throughout the day but especially morning and evening, and I've also seen wombats after hours.  But, there are also snakes, so you can't just go off wandering aimlessly in the bush.  I am not sure if they have some sort of organized wildlife viewing tours but I would write to the resort and ask, it seems like something they might be able to set up.

The beach is beautiful, but the wind usually makes it tough going.  And the water is freezing, which is just as well.

Lost Farm is a very comfy resort, with a spa.

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 02:46:33 PM »
We stayed at Binalong Bay on the East Coast with young children.  I thought it was magical.   You felt like you were at the end of the world.  We experienced little wind in contrast to my golf day at Barnbougle.  We took a hike to a beach on Christmas Day that was lovely and well protected from the wind.  The Kids found their first Wallaby there.  Not sure what the weather would be like when you are visiting but it was perfect when we were there. A solo trumpet player on an expansive uncrowded beach provided what might be my all time favorite Christmas soundscape.

Not sure I can recommend our path.  The road was really twisty despite it appearing pretty big on the map.  I underestimated how difficult the drive would be after 28 hours worth of flights on the other side of the road.  I stranded the family for a full day droving to Barnbougle from there.

You may want to consider flying in and out one day while leaving the family in Melbourne or Sydney.  That might be easier for all.

David_Elvins

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 04:12:37 PM »

JB,

If going to barnbougle with family, I would recommend staying and eating at barnbougle dunes rather than lost farm.  The town of Bridport a few miles away has nice playground, foreshore and more kid friendly beach. The weather in April is often really good but not overly warm.

If you fly commercial, you fly into Launceston which is a bit over an hour from barnbougle. Launceston is a pretty good town for young kids. You could always base yourself there.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 06:32:48 PM »
Sorry, it was the Bridport Resort we stayed at.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

JBovay

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2022, 01:55:48 PM »
Thanks for the advice, everyone. It sounds like a day trip to Barnbougle (either from Launceston or Binalong Bay or Melbourne) might be the ticket for me/us. We'll think about the options and what other sites might be especially appealing in Tasmania.

MKrohn

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 05:24:16 PM »
I wouldn't be planning on any beach activity in Tasmania during April, however I'm a bit soft having grown up in a temperate climate.

I would do a BB dash from Hobart (good town, plenty to do for the family), Launceston would only just get to OK, few wineries in the Tamar Valley but if that's not your go there isn't much else with the exception of mullet spotting.

Daryl David

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 07:26:18 PM »
I wouldn't be planning on any beach activity in Tasmania during April, however I'm a bit soft having grown up in a temperate climate.

I would do a BB dash from Hobart (good town, plenty to do for the family), Launceston would only just get to OK, few wineries in the Tamar Valley but if that's not your go there isn't much else with the exception of mullet spotting.

Second the advice on Hobart. Lots to see and do. Not much in Launceston. Let the family do Hobart and you do the driving. Hit a few Wallabies on the trip. It’s a right of passage.

JBovay

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2022, 08:10:24 AM »
MKrohn and Daryl David: Thanks for suggesting Hobart. I agree, it looks like there's a lot more to do there than in Launceston. Hobart is 3.5 hours from Barnbougle each way, so I might have to think about spending the night at the resort or bringing the family to some intermediate location if I want to play both courses.

Also, MK, I grew up in a sub-tropical climate so I definitely appreciate hearing that we shouldn't count on visiting the beach in Tasmania in April.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2022, 08:21:09 AM »
Platypus House at Beauty Point on the Tamar River north of Launceston, about an hour west of Barnbougle, is a fantastic place to see platypus and echidna up close. I recommend it strongly.

The Bridestowe Lavender Farm is interesting too.

Adam
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2022, 05:38:18 PM »
There's not much on offer at Barnbougle/Lost Farm for a spouse who is looking after a preschooler.  As others have said, there's some nice beach but by April the weather will be getting on the cooler side.  If you're hiring a car, then there's lots of wineries nearby.  There's also lots of farmgates and arts/craft places in NW Tasmania (you'd need to do your homework).  There's blueberry and strawberry farms but by April it won't be berry season. George Town which is about half an hour away does a night-time fairy penguin tour/observation.  Bridestowe Lavender farm is worth a look but Spring/Summer is the best time for that.  In Launceston, a few hours at Cataract Gorge.

Take care driving at night because you'll encounter lots of wildlife on the roads. 

NW Tasmania is a great 4 day trip if you're coming from Melbourne.  Fly into Launceston, hire a car, play a day or two at Barnbougle/LF, then down to St Helens/Binalong Bay for a night, then Freycinet/Wine Glass Bay for a night and back to Launceston.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back