News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Stephens

Ben,

I have played four C&C courses: Friar’s Head, Bandon Trails, SS Red, and Kapulua Plantation. Four very different sites that required four different solutions. I am not particularly high on Kapalua (it is a very extreme site on which to design). The other three are terrific. And if you are looking for strategy plus wow, they offer plenty. If you need to get punched in the face visually, perhaps the minimalist philosophy is not your cup of tea. I suggest that you would be missing out on some enjoyable golf and wonderful architecture.

Ira

Ira,

I do hope to see/visit or play a C+C course in future however they are not in my current 5 as i said above they work on the best sites and for my own current research and being realistic that the courses i would be working on if lucky would be at a lower level budget wise, a renovation (not a new course) and a much poorer site in comparison. Its seeing how others that have managed to do so which means C+C is not in this category for me plus their natural style doesn't really appeal to me at the moment I do understand why others rave about their work and its their opinion.

Hanse does give a few surprises his work at Oakland Hills is different/interesting - LACC is one to look forward to next year US Open. Hanse is less predictable than C+C and Doak who produce high standard courses with a similar look/style and appearance.

Andrew Green is on the radar as he has been producing a different look which i quite like now for example Inverness, Oak Hill, Congressional and Scioto.

Mike Cocking has produced some really interesting work lately - Peninsula Kingswood, Port Lonsdale with squarish greens/ fairways which is very different and Medinah no 3There are lots of very good golf course architects and difficult to squeeze in a top 5. I am always looking for something different and out of the box which makes you think wow that is good and not seen that type of shapes etc on a golf course the same for architecture as well. I feel my selected 5 gives me that. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 04:08:40 AM by Ben Stephens »

Kevin Pallier

I don't necessarily have to play the course but 5 architects whose designs I haven't seen yet and course I would love to see most

Fownes = Oakmont
Maxwell = Crystal Downs
Thompson = St Georges
Campbell W = The Country Club
Bendelow = East Lake

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back