News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Stephens

Dear GCA,

Has there been a ranking list or a list of 5 (in no order) of Golf Course Architects whose golf course that you would like to go an see and play?

Those who are alive the 5 I would like to see more of their work are:

Andrew Green (not played one of his course renovations)

James Edwards (course renovations in the UK look good and short game areas (he is king at this in Europe at present))

Robin Hiseman (Siberia and Bulgaria maybe out of reach at present the designs look rather interesting and his style is become more prevalent since JCB)

Gil Hanse (particularly as I haven't played a Hanse course yet)

Mike Cocking (Peninsula Kingswood looks awesome and Medinah looks an interesting project)

There are lots of good architects such as Mike Clayton (especially 7MB), Tim Lobb, Neil Crafter and the younger ones such as Clyde Johnson, Christine Fraser have interesting projects in the pipeline.

Ira Fishman

Limited to North America and architects with original designs:

Mike Devries
Rod Whitman
Dan Hixson
Jeff Brauer
Lester George

I know that there are some up and comers that I would add as their portfolio grows. King and Collins for example plus some of the Renaissance team that is now doing their own thing.

JC Urbina

Ben,

My top 5 would be

More of
King - Collins
WAC - Whitman- Axland- Cutten
Riley Johns - Keith Rhebb
James Duncan
Jackson - Kahn

Peter Flory

Look at what Brian Schneider and Blake Conant are doing at Old Barnwell. It's the best combination of daring and refined that I've seen in years.  It's their own style breaking out.

Jay Blasi has some really cool projects in the works.  I think that his renovation of Santa Ana is a great showcase for taking a simple site that was very average and making it exciting (and with a modest budget).  But I've seen his proposals for upcoming renovations and he is a very good problem solver, especially with routings. 

Craig Haltom doesn't promote himself much, but if you look closely at what he did at Lac La Belle and Stevens Point CC, you'll understand his talent.  He has great taste/ aesthetic sense.  He has a lot of other things going on with construction (for instance he did a lot of the early construction work at the Lido), but it would be great to see what he could do with a blank site. 

Not an up and coming architect, but Tom Doak + Brian Zager!  What will Tom do when he's teamed with a digital ninja?  I think that there are a lot of possibilities there.

Ally Mcintosh

I’d like to see some of my own work that I haven’t done, yet.

After that, I’d like to see some Coore & Crenshaw because I have seen so little.

Ben Stephens

Look at what Brian Schneider and Blake Conant are doing at Old Barnwell. It's the best combination of daring and refined that I've seen in years.  It's their own style breaking out.

Jay Blasi has some really cool projects in the works.  I think that his renovation of Santa Ana is a great showcase for taking a simple site that was very average and making it exciting (and with a modest budget).  But I've seen his proposals for upcoming renovations and he is a very good problem solver, especially with routings. 

Craig Haltom doesn't promote himself much, but if you look closely at what he did at Lac La Belle and Stevens Point CC, you'll understand his talent.  He has great taste/ aesthetic sense.  He has a lot of other things going on with construction (for instance he did a lot of the early construction work at the Lido), but it would be great to see what he could do with a blank site. 

Not an up and coming architect, but Tom Doak + Brian Zager!  What will Tom do when he's teamed with a digital ninja?  I think that there are a lot of possibilities there.

I do remember a constructive discussion with Tom about 3D computer works being used to create golf courses. At the time Tom was vehemently against the particular use of technology hey ho it seems that the colours have changed thanks to Peter/Brian via Lido maybe it takes time to convince others that it is a useful tool these days :)

Of course Brian and Blake - their work at Llanerch is intriguing and also there is Jaeger Kovich doing interesting stuff - there are lots of golf course architects springing up rather than the usual 3 (Hanse, Doak and C+C)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 02:49:34 PM by Ben Stephens »

Ben Stephens

Ben,

My top 5 would be

More of
King - Collins
WAC - Whitman- Axland- Cutten
Riley Johns - Keith Rhebb
James Duncan
Jackson - Kahn

James Duncan is new to me would be interested to know a bit more about his works.

Ben Stephens

I’d like to see some of my own work that I haven’t done, yet.

After that, I’d like to see some Coore & Crenshaw because I have seen so little.

Really? what works have you got in the pipeline Ally

C+C is becoming less appealing for me over time as their work seems to be repetitive however on some very good sites.

mike_malone

Mike Devries
Mike Nuzzo
Jeff Brauer
Jay Blasi
Jim Urbina
AKA Mayday

Mike Hendren

George C. Thomas, Jr.
George C. Thomas, Jr.
George C. Thomas, Jr.
George C. Thomas, Jr.

Stanley Thompson
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Thomas Dai

Not so much work I’d like to see as ‘fly on the wall’ opportunity. Clients. Thought process. Route finding and planning. Permits. Logistics and staffing, machine operations ‘from the passenger seat’, finishing, grass types, drainage and irrigation, growing-in etc etc. Ie the whole damn big picture from pre-drawing board to dirt under the finger nails to opening day and ultimate play.
Atb

Adam Lawrence

Not so much work I’d like to see as ‘fly on the wall’ opportunity. Clients. Thought process. Route finding and planning. Permits. Logistics and staffing, machine operations ‘from the passenger seat’, finishing, grass types, drainage and irrigation, growing-in etc etc. Ie the whole damn big picture from pre-drawing board to dirt under the finger nails to opening day and ultimate play.
Atb

Retirement is a great thing, eh?  :)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ally Mcintosh

Atb

I think you perhaps pass over the most interesting “fly on the wall” part, and perhaps the most time consuming: That is all the discussions in the field about the small detailing and looking at every decision from three perspectives; playability, aesthetics and practicality for operations.

Jeff Schley

C+C is becoming less appealing for me over time as their work seems to be repetitive however on some very good sites.
Ben can you give some examples of what you mean for C&C?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tom_Doak

Of course Brian and Blake - their work at Llanerch is intriguing and also there is Jaeger Kovich doing interesting stuff - there are lots of golf course architects springing up rather than the usual 3 (Hanse, Doak and C+C)

It’s amusing that you are tired of my work but then name three guys who have worked with me [or four if you include Gil].

I, too, am interested to see what all of them can do on their own.  Many have been mentioned so far but maybe the four most interesting are the ones not mentioned: Angela Moser, Clyde Johnson, Brian Slawnik, and Eric Iverson.  Those four (plus Brian Schneider and Blake) have been the core of everything I’ve built in the past 12 years and I am convinced that all of them could kick ass on their own, but I also have a few more projects I hope they’ll help me with before I’m through.

Ben Stephens

It’s amusing that you are tired of my work but then name three guys who have worked with me [or four if you include Gil].

I, too, am interested to see what all of them can do on their own.  Many have been mentioned so far but maybe the four most interesting are the ones not mentioned: Angela Moser, Clyde Johnson, Brian Slawnik, and Eric Iverson.  Those four (plus Brian Schneider and Blake) have been the core of everything I’ve built in the past 12 years and I am convinced that all of them could kick ass on their own, but I also have a few more projects I hope they’ll help me with before I’m through.

I never mentioned that I am tired of your work  ::) ::)  - I have played 3 courses of yours already (2 new and 1 restoration) - St Andrews Beach, Renaissance and changes at Woodhall so have seen them and understand more what your philosophy or approach for me it is quite forgiving in areas. Have played a few Pete Dye courses, Robert Trent Jones, Rees Jones etc.

The topic is golf course architects whose work you would like to see - (surely i have my own choice or opinion) Never played Gil's (really would like to play LACC) or Andrew Green's courses and they do look interesting. There are a lot of good golf course architects outside your team as well. Have mentioned Clyde from your team - look forward to seeing CS2 or CH2 however it seems to be further down the road.

However there is not much exposure on GCA relating to European Golf Course Architects and I have been fortunate over the last few years to get an insight of them and their work. It is understandable that you can be rather sentimental and very supportive to your team.   

James Edwards (who used to be on GCA) is one to watch out for in my opinion he has come up with really decent work and not yet got a major 18 hole course hopefully one day. To me he does bring something different to the table and golf clubs like him he explains his proposals well and understands the brief and communicates with greens staff well so they can do some of the work in house.

Tim Lobb is another he has produced some rather good work especially Woking where the 2nd hole looks vastly improved. Tim and Andy Ewence the Head Greenkeeper work well together as a team. 

Robin has come up with some great stuff recently we have talked about it and if he had more freedom on the course design it would be rather impressive i have to say. Probably the nearest to Mike Strantz that we could have.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 10:03:10 AM by Ben Stephens »

Ben Stephens

The style and shaping that they have is becoming more and more repetitive because that's their approach bar Sheep Ranch which is the only one that's stands out as there is no sand bunker.

Frank Lloyd Wright - his design language evolved over time. Currently most golf course architects latest work seem to be too similar to each other.

I like to see things in Architecture and Golf Course Architecture that is out of the box - and you think wow that's impressive. Have been following MAD Architects lately - they are a bit crazy!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 10:07:16 AM by Ben Stephens »

Ben Stephens

One of the good things coming out of this - is a few golf course architects that some of us have not heard of.

mike_malone

I can’t believe that I forgot Jaeger Kovich. He is doing wonderful things within a couple of hours and minutes of me.
AKA Mayday

Ronald Montesano

Clyde Johnson was a Travis Society scholarship winner 10-15 years back.

For the next-next-next generation, pass them this link and tell them to apply for the society scholarship. Who knows what a little money in the pocket might do for someone who wants to be a golf course architect or superintendent?

https://forms.gle/QHFqoSvR8YBPNAKP7

Thank you.

Ron M.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Rob Marshall

Rayner-haven't played any
C&C-Only Kapalua
Doak-Only Blue
Flynn-Only Philly CC
Mackenzie-Haven't played any

If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tommy Williamsen

The style and shaping that they have is becoming more and more repetitive because that's their approach bar Sheep Ranch which is the only one that's stands out as there is no sand bunker.

Frank Lloyd Wright - his design language evolved over time. Currently most golf course architects latest work seem to be too similar to each other.

I like to see things in Architecture and Golf Course Architecture that is out of the box - and you think wow that's impressive. Have been following MAD Architects lately - they are a bit crazy!

Ben, [size=78%]I played five C&C courses this summer. They each had short par threes that were dissimilar, short par fours that used the and differently, and par fives that couldn't have been more different. [/size]
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Adam Lawrence

Ben, [size=78%]I played five C&C courses this summer. They each had short par threes that were dissimilar, short par fours that used the and differently, and par fives that couldn't have been more different. [/size]

It's hard to tell that from photos, which, with respect to Ben, is all he's commenting on.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ben Stephens

It's hard to tell that from photos, which, with respect to Ben, is all he's commenting on.

Have to say Adam is right at the moment in some ways its not appealing enough for me at present to play a C+C course based on images as well as their current design philosophy which seems to be repetitive to me. I guess i might be from a younger generation which looks at pictures the wow factor is more attractive albeit why i had put in Gil Hanse and Andrew Green works from an American standpoint the others are European who I know quite well and mix of Oz/US works.

The majority of C+C works are courses whose site that are naturally there and the have a subtle light design approach to them its just not the right precedents that I am looking for at present. Most golf course architects would love to have a site that C+C, Doak/Renaissance have been working on recently and in future.

What I am more interested is others working in a more similar scenario that I would be more likely to be working on if I am lucky enough to work in future which in some ways needs more design effort and creative thinking to do so.

Sometimes if the site is easier, already beautiful, shapes contours already there it does feel less design effort to do so because they are already there rather than working to a blank canvas which requires more work in some respects that the majority of golf course architects carry out work on which I am more interested to see at this stage.

James Edwards has done which looks cracking work at Berkhamsted with Conor Walsh creating a new short game area for the club to reflect the current golf course generally and it was on a blank canvas and takes a lot of creativity - it now looks like it has been there for a long time and I am really interested going to see it.   

Rob - you are certainly lucky to be able to play 5 C+C courses they are probably too far out of my reach at the moment. The holes may play differently more dedicated to the ground game - my sticking point with their works is that it looks so similar and less appealing.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 05:51:47 AM by Ben Stephens »

Ira Fishman

Ben,

I have played four C&C courses: Friar’s Head, Bandon Trails, SS Red, and Kapulua Plantation. Four very different sites that required four different solutions. I am not particularly high on Kapalua (it is a very extreme site on which to design). The other three are terrific. And if you are looking for strategy plus wow, they offer plenty. If you need to get punched in the face visually, perhaps the minimalist philosophy is not your cup of tea. I suggest that you would be missing out on some enjoyable golf and wonderful architecture.

Ira

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back