News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Hamm

OT - Should Tiger be able to use a cart?
« on: November 30, 2022, 10:12:54 AM »
Tiger Woods has withdrawn from the Hero.  He plans to play the Match and PNC as carts are allowed.  In his words, "I can hit the golf ball and hit whatever shot you want.  I just can't walk."

He is clearly disabled under ADA and under the Casey Martin ruling should be entitled to a cart.  I suspect he has given it some thought and chosen not to request the use of a cart. 

The PGA Tour should offer him one, as should the Majors.  Golf needs him and he is missed. So, should he be allowed the use of a cart?

Rob Marshall

Re: OT - Should Tiger be able to use a cart?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 10:23:34 AM »
Pretty sure even though he played with Casey in College he was against his use of a cart. Could be wrong but that’s my recollection.

“Woods’s stance on using golf carts on the PGA Tour is not a new one, and he made sure to acknowledge that to the media on Tuesday. Woods attended Stanford with former PGA Tour player and now Oregon men’s golf coach, Casey Martin. In 2001, Martin sued the PGA Tour under the Americans with Disabilities Act for the right to use a golf cart during tournaments. Martin has Klippel-Trenaunay syndrome in his right leg, which he had amputated above the knee in ’21. The lawsuit, PGA Tour, Inc. v. Martin, reached the U.S. Supreme Court, where justices ruled in favor of Martin. They declared that the ADA prevents the PGA Tour from requiring Martin to walk.
[/size]“You know, my teammate was Casey Martin, O.K.?” Tiger said. “What he did with the ADA, I voted against it. I think [walking] is an integral part of the game, at our level. I will never take a golf cart until it is sanctioned. It is sanctioned on the Champions Tour, and PNC is part of that. As far as a regular event, no, I would never do that.”[/color]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 10:26:35 AM by Rob Marshall »
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 10:36:55 AM »
Thanks for the information.  Too bad that Tiger will not consider the use of a cart...I have never been a Tiger fan except to the extent of beyond admiration for his golf....As to being against the Casey Martin ruling and not supporting Casey also too bad for Tiger...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 11:20:30 AM »
Why does golf need him?

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 11:57:50 AM »
'I Would Never Do That’: Tiger Woods Solidifies Stance on Using a Golf Cart

"I think [walking] is an integral part of the game, at our level. I will never take a golf cart until it is sanctioned. It is sanctioned on the Champions Tour, and PNC is part of that. As far as a regular event, no, I would never do that.”

I think that line is interesting. Walking as an integral part of the game makes sense, but what about "I will never take a cart until it is sanctioned".

Does that mean if it was allowed for everyone he would take a cart? If taking a cart is sanctioned, does that mean walking is no longer a part of the game?

It brings more light into what he's working on with Rory, there is no walking involved with a simulator.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 12:07:59 PM by Ben Hollerbach »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 12:07:52 PM »
He said I do once. I do still.

Steve Lang

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 12:29:10 PM »
 ;)   He says no way, so be it...  if he did play, that's be all you'd see and hear on tv coverage, plantar fasciitis, it hurts, how amazing is Tiger? 

I was just wondering if Tiger will play the Champions Tour in the not too distant future, in a cart... ::)
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 01:11:22 PM »
;)   He says no way, so be it...  if he did play, that's be all you'd see and hear on tv coverage, plantar fasciitis, it hurts, how amazing is Tiger? 

I was just wondering if Tiger will play the Champions Tour in the not too distant future, in a cart... ::)

Sounds like he will...from the above:

""I think [walking] is an integral part of the game, at our level. I will never take a golf cart until it is sanctioned. It is sanctioned on the Champions Tour, and PNC is part of that"

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 02:40:42 PM »
Should Tiger be allowed to drive a car is a better question.

::)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2022, 02:57:32 PM »
Look at the field of the Hero. The LIV wins without playing.

Countdown to another wrong move by the Tour.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2022, 07:59:59 PM »

Wrong again JK! The Hero will be broadcast on a national TV network for all 4 rounds. The LIV still can't buy its way on a national network. Nobody wants to watch a bunch of has-beens play an exhibition financed by terrorists.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2022, 08:11:21 PM »

Wrong again JK! The Hero will be broadcast on a national TV network for all 4 rounds. The LIV still can't buy its way on a national network. Nobody wants to watch a bunch of has-beens play an exhibition financed by terrorists.

Another Notre Dame grad wearing blinders. Excuse me Monsignor...those aren’t pillows.

Aren’t you a little sad for those family members from 911 who were used for such folly?  It’s an embarrassment to victims worldwide.

MKrohn

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2022, 08:48:22 PM »

Assuming the Tiger in a cart has been resolved, a perspective on LIV from outside the US.

LIV are coming to Adelaide (Australia) next year and its largely sold out, I've had a couple of different groups playing road trips to catch the golf.

Prominent LIVer Cameron Smith won last week playing in the Australian PGA and there was no mention of LIV and a really good vibe by the look of things. He is massively popular out here as is Marc Leishman (Norman not so)

The PGATour has damaged smaller tours with the wrap around season, talking to golfers out here, many see the LIV/PGATour battle as black knight vs black knight, no great love for either. With LIV we get our guys back home playing, seemingly the other has beens still have appeal in places starved of good golf.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2022, 08:56:10 PM »
As to being against the Casey Martin ruling and not supporting Casey also too bad for Tiger...
Almost all pro golfers were against that. Walking IS integral to the sport at that level.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2022, 11:12:44 PM »
For those in favour of allowing carts in Tournament play, are you expecting the caddie to chauffeur?  Not a good look IMO.
Let's make GCA grate again!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2022, 11:43:30 PM »
Do caddies make the PgaTour any money?  Oh no. Love you, miss you, can’t wait to kiss you.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2022, 02:41:37 AM »

Another Notre Dame grad wearing blinders. Excuse me Monsignor...those aren’t pillows.

Aren’t you a little sad for those family members from 911 who were used for such folly?  It’s an embarrassment to victims worldwide.
Wrong again JK, I'm not an ND grad or Catholic.
I am Irish-American. And what's sad is people who forget where the majority of 9-11 terrorists came from and who financed them. I guess you either didn't listen to those family members speeches or like the LIV golfers chose to ignore
them.  :o
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 07:32:56 AM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2022, 03:43:46 AM »
Got it, Rudy.

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2022, 04:18:45 AM »
Why not? Half these PGA Tour events are basically circus like exhibitions. Let em all ride. Does it really matter outside the majors and a handful of proper tour stops?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2022, 05:10:09 AM »
Brian raises an interesting point above. Track record.
Atb

Mike Sweeney

Re: OT - Should Tiger be able to use a cart? New
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2022, 05:31:43 AM »
Why not? Half these PGA Tour events are basically circus like exhibitions. Let em all ride. Does it really matter outside the majors and a handful of proper tour stops?

Ciao

This is the slippery slope of life.

Then you need cart paths, then you re-design the cart paths to fit spectators walking with carts, then your neighboring course wants to...

TV has changed but live television sporting events are more valuable and more influential than ever, so yes it really matters.

Tiger is really standing up for golf these days (walking conversation, calling out Greg Norman, caddying for Charlie...), so yes, he gets my support.

PS - Your Midwest journey is appreciated on the other threads.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 07:57:57 AM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2022, 05:36:17 AM »

Ciao

Then you need cart paths, then you re-design the cart paths to fit spectators walking with carts, then your neighboring course wants to...

TV has changed but live television sporting events are more valuable and more influential than ever, so yes it really matters.

Tiger is really standing up for golf these days (walking conversation, calling out Greg Norman, caddying for Charlie...), so yes, he gets my support.

Sweeney

Comments are in jest to highlight the monkey events the PGA Tour holds.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2022, 05:39:28 AM »

Ciao

Well said.

Tiger has made it clear he doesn't want a cart.

This thread seems orientated towards making him take one.  How did we ever get to that?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2022, 03:46:06 PM »
If golf tourneys can now be 54 holes with no cut....

If golfers can now play shotguns starts...

If golfers can now wear shorts....

If golfers can now use range finders...

If golfers are cranking music on-course....

Then Tiger Woods can use a fucking golf cart.... ;D ;D

archie_struthers

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2022, 07:48:00 PM »
 :P

When he gets to the senior tour he gets the cart

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back