News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Padraig Dooley

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Padraig Dooley

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Padraig Dooley

- Pablo Picasso

John Kavanaugh

Re: Titirangi GC
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 06:33:17 PM »
Your first photo shoots asked questions. These provide answers.

Pat Burke

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 11:35:45 PM »
In another life, I played Titirangi in the ‘87Air New Zealand Open

Such a cool golf course on a pretty small area

Had a lot of fun there, great course and people

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 12:45:51 AM »

Which was close to the last time we played there. It was always a fun week - not a difficult course but always interesting.
Frank Nobilo caddied for Al Geiberger there in the late 1970s and he called it "the longest 6400y course I've ever played"

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 03:51:13 AM »
Another wonderful photo-tour. Well done. Looks like they really appreciate their MacKenzie heritage and design. I was fortunate enough to chat briefly with their Course Manager a few months ago. I wish I'd seen this beforehand.
atb

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 10:51:42 AM »
Is that a pond short and left of the green at the 8th?

Pretty sure that wasn't there the first time I saw Titirangi.

The course had a massive overhaul about 20 years ago -- there was a thread about it here, I think.  Since then, Clyde Johnson has been doing some finer detailing work, on the back of working at Tara Iti and Te Arai.  Maybe he will chime in on what that work has entailed.

As for "the longest 6400 yards in golf," Mike, I"ve heard the same exact comment about Pasatiempo and Crystal Downs.  Funny how they all have one thing in common.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 11:21:11 AM »

The course had a massive overhaul about 20 years ago -- there was a thread about it here, I think.  Since then, Clyde Johnson has been doing some finer detailing work, on the back of working at Tara Iti and Te Arai.  Maybe he will chime in on what that work has entailed.

More like fifteen. Here's an article from 2008 by Chris Pitman, the architect who did the work.

https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/titirangi-golf-club
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2022, 02:18:36 PM »
Adam:

Yes, I remember that article.  At the time, I thought it read like, "What if Alister MacKenzie had a D-8?"  But to be fair, the original shaping work at Titirangi was not overseen by the likes of Alex Russell or Perry Maxwell, and it was done on a pretty small scale befitting their resources at the time.  I don't think MacKenzie would have minded seeing it redone in more grand fashion.

David Kelly

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2022, 08:48:42 PM »
I'll never forget my one round at Titrangi for more than just the course, which I greatly enjoyed.  After finishing up my round I went into the clubhouse bar and there was nobody there.  I waited around for 5 minutes and nobody appeared so I went into the pro shop and there was nobody there either.  I went out, put my things in the car and went back to the proshop where there was a girl behind the counter who looked shook up and was watching tv.  It was about 20 minutes after the big Christchurch earthquake and the horrible reports were just coming in.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Pat Burke

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2022, 01:17:30 PM »

Which was close to the last time we played there. It was always a fun week - not a difficult course but always interesting.
Frank Nobilo caddied for Al Geiberger there in the late 1970s and he called it "the longest 6400y course I've ever played"

It certainly didn’t feel that short to me. 
So many fun shots into the greens!

George Pazin

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2022, 01:38:21 PM »
As for "the longest 6400 yards in golf," Mike, I"ve heard the same exact comment about Pasatiempo and Crystal Downs.  Funny how they all have one thing in common.

Interesting. How was it achieved?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim Hoak

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2022, 02:49:32 PM »
I played in the same recent event at Titirangi as Padraig.  I loved the course and the tournament.  I had heard previously mixed things about the course, but I found it be great fun--and pretty amazing architecture by MacKenzie on a somewhat difficult piece of land.  Small acreage and very up and down.
I had never played the course before, but I am curious if anyone who played it both before and after the recent work has any comment on what was done.  I have to believe it was very significant and excellent work.
One very minor, picky complaint--the 11th hole (pictured well by Padraig) is named The Redan.  It is an excellent Par 3, but it clearly isn't a Redan.  One of the members asked us about it, and we told him there was a quick fix of the problem--just rename the hole.
Other than that--Titirangi was one of the more interesting and fun courses I've played in a long time.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 04:47:27 PM by Jim Hoak »

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2022, 02:58:20 PM »
I played in the same recent event at Titirangi as Padraig.  I loved the course and the tournament.  I had heard mixed things about the course, but I found it be great fun--and pretty amazing architecture by MacKenzie on a somewhat difficult piece of land.  Small acreage and very up and down.
I had never played he course before, but I am curious if anyone who played it both before and after the recent work has any comment on what was done.  I have to believe it was very significant and excellent work.
One very minor, picky complaint--the 11th hole (pictured well by Padraig) is named The Redan.  It is an excellent Par 3, but it clearly isn't a Redan.  One of the members asked us about it, and we told him there was a quick fix of the problem--just rename the hole.
Other than that--Titirangi was one of the more interesting and fun courses I've played in a long time.
Jim, I'm not sure if you saw the original drawing for the 11th in the clubhouse, but it had it as a Redan with the green going right to left as opposed to left to right, the construction guy in the 20's got it the wrong way around. There is a chance it may be changed in the future, green as opposed to name!
  - Pablo Picasso

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2022, 03:00:38 PM »
Is that a pond short and left of the green at the 8th?

Pretty sure that wasn't there the first time I saw Titirangi.

Tom

It is a pond left of the green on the 8th, I'm not sure how long it is there.
If Crystal, Pasatiempo and Titirangi are the longest 6,400 yards in golf, what is the 5,600 yards at Claremont!

- Pablo Picasso

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2022, 03:50:43 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Padraig, and sorry that I missed getting over to the MacKenzie Society gathering to give a history talk.

There's an interesting backstory to Titiriangi Golf Club, with their original course over One Tree Hill - a dormant volcano - featuring some crazy holes!

MacKenzie one-day visit produced an 18 hole routing plan, with 9 of his original green's drawing surviving from 1926. Pittman's 'restoration' was relatively faithful to those plans, though not completely, as the sandy waste left of the second, de-blinding of the 10th drive, new green position on the 13th, over-bunkering of the 18th attest (among others.) He certainly gave the features more of the boldness that we would associate with MacKenzie, even if some of the features sit uncomfortably above grade - Pittman spent time working in Malaysia, and the head greenkeeper was responsible for much of the construction, so it is understandable that they might have been over cautious of surface drainage in those heavy soils. 

Pittman only made it 16 holes through his plan. In 2017, we reworked the 1st hole, guided by MacKenzie's routing plan, but without a surviving green plan.

Before:

After:

The 17th green had migrated slightly backwards from its original position. MacKenzie had described this in his notes as a three-shot-hole, so we made the decision to build the green 50 yards or so beyond, at the end of the ridge, as the topography was essentially the same. This also gave us the space to reinstate the approach bunkers with a bit more meaning.

Before:

After:

Head Greenkeeper Greg Swafford has made great strides with the mowing lines, opening up vistas and recapturing the grand playing corridors. It is a brawny piece of ground, and a very challenging golf course. Our last piece of work was in reshaping the bunkers on the 5th hole at the end of 2019. Next on the agenda is to address boundary issues on the 3rd and 13th - Padraig's picture of the 13th shows where the fairway will migrate left onto the shoulder of the stream, closer to how MacKenzie had it drawn.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2022, 06:22:24 PM »

Interesting. How was it achieved?

1.  All of those courses are pretty hilly, and a lot of tee shots land into upslopes and get little roll-out.
2.  Instead of a bunch of 400-yard par-4s, MacKenzie would build three or four sub-350-yard par-4s where you might not hit driver, and then a bunch of 440+ yard holes that are still long holes for non-professionals.
3.  All of these courses have only two or three par-5 holes, and more long par-4s to take the place of the par-5s built by other designers.
4.  The course seems longer when every approach shot above the hole costs you an extra stroke!

Likewise, as Padraig mentioned, Claremont might be the longest 5600 yards in golf -- except for Cavendish.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 06:24:29 PM by Tom_Doak »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2022, 12:04:28 PM »
Tom,

I would also add at least for the case of Pasatiempo:

Par 3s - #3 where due to length and being uphill and #8 due to a highly sloping green, 4 is very much in play for a good player on both of these and certainly 5 for the average one.

And #11 just may be one of the hardest sub 400 yard par 4s you'll ever play.

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2022, 10:29:07 PM »
Thanks for posting Padraig.

Even though I live in NZ I haven't seen Titirangi since Clyde made the changes. The photographs look superb.  #1 and #17 look like a huge improvement and the work on 13.

Clyde, I'd be really interested in your thoughts about the 10th and 11th holes and what is in store there?
@Pure_Golf

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2022, 11:30:29 PM »
For those interested in the pervious form of Titirangi - I penned a review of the course and took some photos during a trip there in early 2009.

https://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/titirangi-golf-club/
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back