News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Overall craziest golf course real estate
« on: November 28, 2022, 01:30:40 PM »
I used to assume that Pebble Beach was the zenith of golf course real estate. Then I drove around (the outside of) Bel-Air, which is completely surrounded by homes on such a scale that the Weeknd’s recent $70 million purchase near the 11th tee doesn’t particularly stand out from the neighborhood.

So is Bel-Air the one? Combining price, quantity, and wow factor in whatever way you’d like, what other courses are in the conversation as the zenith of golf course real estate?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 01:51:18 PM by Matt_Cohn »

Jeff Evagues

Re: Overall craziest golf course real estate
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 02:10:11 PM »
I've always told my friends if I was in the 1% I'd buy at Kapalua instead of Pebble.
Be the ball

Jeff Schley

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 02:26:41 PM »
Some that come to mind.
  • Indian Creek in Florida. Less than 100 homes, but all tens of millions of dollars.
  • Bel Air allows for homes with several acres and thus huge numbers.
  • Riviera is more land locked although those homes around the top are high $.
  • What about LaQuinta private courses, like Bighorn? Not threatening Bel Air, but overpriced winter homes are everywhere.
  • I would still think Pebble Beach would win out.
I'll never know as the taxes would be more than our mortgages.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Steve Lapper

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 02:28:18 PM »
Bel-Air, Brentwood, Riviera, Indian Creek, Pebble Beach, Kapalua, Maidstone, Seminole, Burlingame, all pale in comparison to LACC.

Bordering on $100M+ homes in Holmby Hills, and some of the fanciest addresses in Beverly Hills, it has often been said that LACC would command no less than $3,000,000,000-$4,000,000,000.....billion!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 02:40:13 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Ira Fishman

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 02:31:48 PM »
It may not have the $$$$ or the wow factor, but for elegance and the quality of the course, I will take St. George’s Hill.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 03:03:47 PM »
It may not have the $$$$ or the wow factor, but for elegance and the quality of the course, I will take St. George’s Hill.

I believe that St. George's Hill is the single most expensive postal code in the whole of the UK.

The problem with the place is that, whenever one of the original Tarrant-built houses comes up for sale, it is bought by a gazillionaire (there are a LOT of Russians on the Hill) who knocks down the old house and builds a McMansion in its place.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 04:30:34 PM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Rick Sides

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 03:28:50 PM »
Shooting Star in Wyoming is pretty special!

Alex Miller

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 03:43:04 PM »
Bel-Air, Brentwood, Riviera, Indian Creek, Pebble Beach, Kapalua, Maidstone, Seminole, Burlingame, all pale in comparison to LACC.

Bordering on $100M+ homes in Holmby Hills, and some of the fanciest addresses in Beverly Hills, it has often been said that LACC would command no less than $3,000,000,000-$4,000,000,000.....billion!

I agree that the land that LACC is on is probably tops in terms of Real Estate value of the club itself. Bel Air likely gives a running for the property of bordering properties given it weaves through the canyons of Bel Air and the adjacent homes often have stunning views in addition to all the other things that come with the top end of zip codes in L.A.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 03:51:33 PM »

I agree that the land that LACC is on is probably tops in terms of Real Estate value of the club itself. Bel Air likely gives a running for the property of bordering properties given it weaves through the canyons of Bel Air and the adjacent homes often have stunning views in addition to all the other things that come with the top end of zip codes in L.A.

True, however even the very large prices of those hills above and around Bel-Air don't crack the nine figure homes that border LACC. along it's Eastern and North-West borders.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 03:55:18 PM »
Well LACC is a 36 hole facility...so there's that!  ;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2022, 04:06:08 PM »
It’s generational. The homes at St George’s Hill made my heart flutter. Those at Bel Air are amusing.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2022, 04:13:44 PM »

In terms of homes on the course itself, there are very few, at least on the North— about 20 total, many of which are behind the trees or hedges and don’t have significant golf course views.

What about Wentworth?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 04:23:11 PM by Matt_Cohn »

Alex Miller

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2022, 05:19:02 PM »

True, however even the very large prices of those hills above and around Bel-Air don't crack the nine figure homes that border LACC. along it's Eastern and North-West borders.

I think it's closer than you think! LACC is a large rectangle but Bel Air winds between the neighborhood. I'd guess the perimeters are quite comparable, especially when considering Santa Monica blvd bordering the south and Wilshire blvd cutting across the center of LACC.

Blake Conant

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2022, 08:19:13 PM »
Interesting. That house was being gutted while the work on the golf course was happening. I guess they filmed shows like the bachelor/bachelorette there before the remodel. A shame Bel-Air didn’t buy up some key properties over the years.

Unfortunately, the corner of that property is the ideal line for the alternate landing area on 11. (Some very large oaks and the recirculating creek would also need to go to make that route possible…)

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2022, 10:46:38 PM »
When I played the Ocean Course at The Breakers earlier this year, it was hard not to think about the aggregate value of real estate that a) borders the course, and b) could be built on the course's acreage.

The interplay between golf course and homes has stood out to me at:

- Mountain Lake
- Windsor
- St. George's Hill
- Wexford
- Colleton River Dye
- Creighton Farms
- Mid Ocean
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2022, 11:35:40 PM »
I would take the Clampett mansion (which is actually in Bel Air). I believe it sold for $150 million a few years ago.
Be the ball

Steve Lapper

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2022, 06:28:48 AM »
I would take the Clampett mansion (which is actually in Bel Air). I believe it sold for $150 million a few years ago.

Unfortunately, The Clampett Mansion does not border Bel-Air CC. If it had we might have seen Granny Clampett take a shotgun to anyone playing slow!

The Playboy Mansion, Spelling(Candyland)-Ecclestone, Chow estates, just three of those with South Mapleton street addresses all abut LACC North. South Mapleton has regularly been thought to be the most expensive street on earth

[size=78%]https://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/entertainment-articles/south-mapleton-drive-is-the-most-expensive-and-exclusive-street-on-earth/[/size]

Lionel Ritchies house, prominent on the right of the 2nd hole is also rather nice!

John Foley

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2022, 09:13:06 AM »
I like the homes around Riviera. Very understated compared to what are around LACC & Bel-Air. If you wanted to actually live there I think that would be the best

The homes bordering The Ocean Course at Kiawah are tremendous and what about Golf House Road in Ardmore!

One of the coolest single homes I've seen is just to the right of the 11th green at Cuscowilla.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Greg Hohman

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2022, 11:04:59 AM »
Estates of some Pittsburgh industrialists surround Allegheny Country Club’s course on a 1937 map. Their fortunes were in the billions in today’s dollars. Enough money, land and [ fill in the blank ] to pursue fox hunting. Treetops is still there. Fair Acres (50 rooms), Farm Hill (19 gardeners, 60-foot waterfall) and Goodwood are gone. I don’t know about Elm Cottage, Highlawn, Lane’s End, Poplar Hill and Red Gate Farm.

Fair Acres I (Fair Acres II was grander): https://www.sewickleyhistory.org/index.php/history/front-page-slides/15-fairacres-i

Farm Hill: https://www.sewickleyhistory.org/index.php/history/front-page-slides/14-farmhill
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 09:12:48 AM by Greg Hohman »
newmonumentsgc.com

Dan Boerger

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2022, 11:36:13 AM »
Adam - So true about SGH. As impressive as their clubhouse is, there are 15+ homes that border the course that are even more opulent. I will check my sources, but I recall that Tarrant actually suggested each original homeowner design a hole at the course. That would have been mighty interesting!
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Tim Leahy

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2022, 05:58:11 PM »
Just looked up some homes on Fairway Dr adjacent to LA Jolla CC in San Diego. 6 bed mansion on .7 acres is valued at 6.5 mil$, 2bed 3.5 mil. Bargains I'm sure. 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2022, 07:16:36 PM »
I always thought that if I were lucky or smart enough to have the disposable income; I'd have two places since my choices have an off-peak time for visiting:

Pebble Beach
Mid Ocean in Bermuda - a bit chilly in January but so is The Peninsula

I so enjoy Bermuda.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2022, 09:52:07 PM »
Estates of some Pittsburgh industrialists used to surround Allegheny Country Club’s course. Their fortunes were in the billions in today’s dollars. Enough money, land and [ fill in the blank ] to pursue fox hunting. Treetops is still there. Fair Acres (50 rooms), Farm Hill (19 gardeners, 60-foot waterfall) and Goodwood are gone. I don’t know about Elm Cottage, Highlawn, Lane’s End, Poplar Hill and Red Gate Farm.

This reminds me of Piping Rock.  It would never exceed the total real estate value of Bel Air, but don't tell the Merrills or the Doubledays.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2022, 10:31:37 AM »
I'd think the property Olympic Club occupies would have to be extremely valuable

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2022, 12:22:05 PM »
If you base it on the most expensive zip codes in the country, Course like Menlo Country Club or Maidstone probably have the highest average home value surrounding it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back