News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin_Reilly

Golf course elevators/"hillevators"
« on: November 26, 2022, 08:01:03 PM »
My club (Orinda CC) had an exterior elevator (or "hillevator") for walkers from the 18th green to the clubhouse on the cliff above.  It was in use, I believe, for a few years in the 1960s, but there is no trace of it today.

Yesterday I toured Indian Valley GC in northern Marin County, and it has an amazing elevator connecting the 13th and 14th holes.

Indian Valley is one of those courses that is FUN to play, and in an incredibly beautiful setting.  Great 19th hole also.

Here is the elevator....my tour guide said he'd like some of the trees trimmed to help the view, but they are all oaks so that won't happen.

https://youtu.be/o4oiguX15Xk

Any other elevators/hillavators out there?
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Kevin_Reilly

Re: Golf course elevators/"hillevators"
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 08:18:16 PM »
The video is a couple of minutes, but as many of you know, you can adjust the playback speed of a YT video.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 08:29:23 PM by Kevin_Reilly »

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 08:21:05 PM »
Pittsburgh Field Club has a true elevator between 17 and 18 (18 is a par three).

Allegheny Country Club has a "hillevator" that is not used anymore after the third hole (a par three) to the tee on the fourth.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 10:44:25 PM »

Manufacturers

Pittsburgh Field Club

« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 10:46:10 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim Leahy

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 11:04:14 PM »
My club (Orinda CC) had an exterior elevator (or "hillevator") for walkers from the 18th green to the clubhouse on the cliff above.  It was in use, I believe, for a few years in the 1960s, but there is no trace of it today.

Yesterday I toured Indian Valley GC in northern Marin County, and it has an amazing elevator connecting the 13th and 14th holes.

Indian Valley is one of those courses that is FUN to play, and in an incredibly beautiful setting.  Great 19th hole also.

Here is the elevator....my tour guide said he'd like some of the trees trimmed to help the view, but they are all oaks so that won't happen.

https://youtu.be/o4oiguX15Xk

Any other elevators/hillavators out there?
Love that course. Do they still have the driving range tee on the roof of the proshop?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Doug Bolls

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 11:42:43 PM »
There's one out at Industry Hills in SoCal.  Don't remember which of the two courses it's on.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2022, 12:27:52 AM »
Love that course. Do they still have the driving range tee on the roof of the proshop?

The tee is outside the grill/pro shop.  Really cool where it is now...not sure if it was ever on the roof of the pro shop but that would be amazing.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2022, 03:47:03 AM »
Bel Air CC
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Matthew Rose

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2022, 07:02:09 AM »
Blackhawk CC, Madison, WI - 9th green to clubhouse

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2022, 09:10:19 AM »
There's one out at Industry Hills in SoCal.  Don't remember which of the two courses it's on.

The one at Industry Hills is on the Eisenhower course, but it's a funicular rail car rather than an elevator. It was closed the last time I played there. Not sure if the closure was temporary.

Industry Hills Funicular

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2022, 09:14:57 AM »
Bel Air CC

Bel Air is a real elevator that takes you to the grill room from the tunnel that connects #9 to #10, that goes under the hill, above which sits the clubhouse.

Bel-Air CC  - Tunnel between #9 and #10 goes under the clubhouse r
Elevator entryway can been seen on the right

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2022, 07:33:00 PM »
Kirtland has a tow rope, from 17 green to 18 tee pathway. Doesn't go all the way.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Daryl David

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2022, 07:47:21 PM »
Seattle Golf Club has a rope tow to get up to the new holes designed by Palmer. Not sure if it’s still there.

Paul Jones

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2022, 09:24:25 PM »
Bel Air CC

Bel Air is a real elevator that takes you to the grill room from the tunnel that connects #9 to #10, that goes under the hill, above which sits the clubhouse.

Bel-Air CC  - Tunnel between #9 and #10 goes under the clubhouse r
Elevator entryway can been seen on the right

The clubhouse is torn down and being rebuilt, not sure if they are going to put in another elevator or not.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2022, 09:41:36 PM »
Bel Air CC

The clubhouse is torn down and being rebuilt, not sure if they are going to put in another elevator or not.

That would be a shame. The elevator ride to get a drink at the turn was a fun feature

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2022, 02:25:34 PM »
Kevin

I've longed dreamed about a Bel-Air type tunnel from the 18th green on the Lake Course (The Olympic Club) w/ an elevator right into the grill room. I have a feeling the pool has been the main impediment  :D :D

WWJr

DFarron

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2022, 12:13:09 PM »
Kirtland used to have a full on elevator, an earlier post said tow rope but I’ve been away from Cleveland for a while.

Don Valley in Toronto used to have one but I haven’t played there since the 70’s.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back