GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Has there ever been a better era for oceanfront golf course sites?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Tom_Doak:

--- Quote from: Tommy Williamsen on November 26, 2022, 02:18:41 PM ---In the past couple of decades, architects have designed courses on the coasts of Oregon, Nova Scotia, Ireland, Scotland, New Zealand, Australia, Hawaii, New York, Norway, South Africa, Southeast Asia, Mexico, St. Lucia, and probably others I missed. England and Wales are conspicuously missing. An argument could be made that exciting oceanfront sites are more plentiful than ever in the game's history. No wonder we are getting such varied great places to play. The late 1800s were good for GB&I, but worldwide there has never been a better time to build courses.

--- End quote ---

There are actually the same number of oceanfront sites there have always been - as the old saw about real estate investment goes, they aren’t making any more of it.

What’s changed is that someone showed you could make money developing a golf course in a remote location, if it is on the ocean.

But it is also true that it’s harder than ever to get permits to build next to the ocean.  We had no restriction at Cape Kidnappers in 2003, but by 2013 for Tara Iti we had to stay 100 meters back (actually had to give away the 100 meters to the local government), and for Te Arai it was 135 meters.

In the EU, it isn’t happening, as Mike says.  Norway and the UK are not in the EU, so it’s possible there.  Likewise, it’s just not possible in California, but maybe in other places in North America.

Tommy Williamsen:
With the plethora of new courses on the ocean in those remote places, it makes golf travel more exciting. Thank you Dick Youngscap and Mike Keiser, I guess.

Ronald Montesano:

I believe that the Lido was discussed for the Old Mac land, but as suggested by the architect, it and other properties were not ones that suited.

--- Quote from: Tom_Doak on November 26, 2022, 02:41:27 PM ---
--- Quote from: John Kavanaugh on November 26, 2022, 02:29:38 PM ---If true why are they building a replica of an abandoned oceanfront course in Wisconsin?

--- End quote ---

I believe they looked for oceanfront sites to do that and couldn’t find one that suited.

--- End quote ---

John Kavanaugh:
You can thank a shift in society that first promoted an illusion of success by leasing a car. Now that all your family and friends can see where you golf leasing a course has become the natural option.

Sean_A:

--- Quote from: John Kavanaugh on November 26, 2022, 05:22:41 PM ---You can thank a shift in society that first promoted an illusion of success by leasing a car. Now that all your family and friends can see where you golf leasing a course has become the natural option.

--- End quote ---

It is interesting how we went from the days of country club for the day in the 80s and 90s to golf resort travel destination for the extended weekend. The ccfd wasn't considered sustainable, yet using natural resources and leaving large carbon footprints to travel the globe is sustainable. The glory of spin.

Ciao

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version