News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Course has been dormant and not maintained by current owner.

A group of private investors and a Native American marketing organization with a nationwide network of golf courses have bought Club West Golf Course, apparently ending the uncertainty surrounding its future as a duffer’s destination.
The ownership group includes the Inter Tribal Golf Association, which offers “seasonal reciprocity” memberships that allow members to golf at any one of 110 courses owned by 63 tribes across the country.
http://www.ahwatukee.com/news/article_ec50ebc8-b394-11e7-8955-07bc3453b116.html
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 06:39:40 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mark Smolens

Re: Phoenix golf news...Club West GC ( Whitcomb/K. Kavanuagh, 1993 ) sold!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 01:50:10 PM »
$2 million to purchase a golf course? Wow that seems low. Tho I guess if you've got to pay 700k to water the course you'll have a problem keeping the doors open.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 03:31:13 PM »
Club West is by no means a great course. It's not even especially good for desert golf. But it was previously a fun spot with a handful of good holes, good rates, and perfectly adequate golf. It's a shame the state the course was allowed to fall into. I last played there in spring of 2016 and not only was the grass essentially dead (they were painting the greens, which were as much dirt as grass) the cart paths and all other amenities had fallen into extreme disrepair. It will be a massive undertaking to get this course back into playable shape.

Dave Givnish

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 05:39:54 PM »
That course is a throw back to the crazy golf days of the mid-90's in Phoenix. I remember that the fairways, tees, and roughs were sodded in order to get it open more quickly. They didn't have the big sod rolls that are available today. We watched the crews about 10 guys per truck - 3 on the truck throwing down rolls and the other guys laying it as fast as they could.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 01:48:03 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Jeff Schley

Oh well.  A mini tour friend of mine used to use that as his home course in the early 2000's, but he left there when either new owners or policies wanted him to pay to use the club significantly more.  oh well.  There is enough golf courses in Phoenix area to tolerate this one course closing.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Steve_ Shaffer

Steve_ Shaffer

With the Club West HOA board preparing to hold its annual election and organizational meeting Thursday and escrow scheduled to expire Friday on a deal by four investors to buy the Club West Golf Course, a new plan is in the works for the site.
And the plan may involve turning the course into a preserve, according to the spokesman for the four investors who comprise the Edge Team.
Edge Team spokesman Matt Shearer told AFN that his group is meeting with both the Concerned Club West Homeowners and the Club West Conservancy  to discuss the course and that he and his colleagues would present a new plan at the HOA board’s next regular meeting March 19.
“The CCWH is preparing a proposal to convert the property to a preserve with some amenities and the CWC is working on a similar solution that would create a conservancy,” he said.
“Per our mission statement, we will consider serious proposals for the land and disseminate the honest details of any proposal to the entire community.”
The Edge Team has a tentative deal with course owner Wilson Gee to buy the course.
Read more...

https://www.ahwatukee.com/news/article_052036e8-5d90-11ea-9587-e74ba5610748.html

Stay tuned for further updates.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 06:46:00 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Forrest Richardson

We've been fortunate to work with the group planning to restore golf to the site. At the present time they are taking the opportunity to explore other uses, such as the open space idea. In the meanwhile, here is the best content on the golf concept:

http://theedge.golf

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Steve_ Shaffer

The lawyers are doing ok...

Club West battle heats up as nonprofit seeks injunction
A nonprofit opposed to houses on Club West’s golf course has asked a judge to stop an apparent fast-track effort by the HOA’s board to push a homeowners’ vote on a plan by four investors who bought the site last week.The Club West Conservancy last week asked a Maricopa County Superior Court judge to issue a temporary injunction against the Foothills Club West Community Association.The request asks the judge to bar any further board action on The Edge’s plan for the site, which it bought from Wilson Gee and renamed “The Park at Club West.”

https://www.ahwatukee.com/news/article_f793b89e-ab3f-11ea-bfc2-03667e39a3e2.html
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 08:48:02 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Steve_ Shaffer

The fight that pits scores of Club West homeowners against their HOA board and the new owners of the golf course intensified this week as the nonprofit that opposes homes on the ravaged site asked a judge to stop any further efforts to advance a plan for the property until at least October.

A hearing on the request that was to be held July 6 was postponed after Club West’s lawyer fell ill. Lawyers and the judge were to meet later this week to discuss a new date.

And the beat goes on....

https://www.ahwatukee.com/news/article_409218f6-c099-11ea-9456-0f336de04238.html
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 11:38:59 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Steve_ Shaffer

Club West finding new owner over golf course

https://www.ahwatukee.com/news/article_257c83ea-080a-11eb-9353-73b3894b43ff.html

A never ending story...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 01:57:14 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Steve_ Shaffer

The never ending case.....

Ignore The Edge, Club West Conservancy tells judge

https://www.ahwatukee.com/localnews/article_9e870db2-1030-11ec-976f-af23d1f324a5.html

Phil Burr

Unless Forrest has an update to his 3/7/20 post, it’s time to take this course out back of the barn and put a bullet to its head.  Given the water issues faced in the southwestern deserts, why attempt to resuscitate a patient that has already died multiple times?  I feel badly for homeowners who thought they were buying golf course property but doing so on a public course is a dicey proposition in the best of times.  Throw in a south-of-airport location that is both out of the way for visiting golfers and a pain in the ass to get to for most Valley residents and you’re left with a bleak outlook.

Forrest Richardson

Firstly Phil, when we lose open space such as this, what we are really doing is to condone the loss of the the open space that replaced America's once thriving drive to build great public parks. After WWII, we stopped building those parks. Instead, we built golf communities. And did so, until very recently. Every time you pass a golf community, imagine that as a Central Park, Golden Gate Park, etc.  That was our American "replacement" — right or wrong. It's the path we took.

Club West is 175+ acres of open space, and it is my belief that preserving as much of it as possible with golf would be a win-win. I see no path forward for passive trails and desert because no one is willing to pay for that. We took the water use down by 2/3 and left a very playable and enjoyable Precision Course. I think the 200+/- homes is a good compromise. I doubt anyone will ever get the full 175 acres packed with homes...too many obstacles. It needs to serve as drainage, hillside and there is not ample room for a road and homes in every area.

How would you like to lose 5-20% of your home value when the golf closed? Answer the phone and imagine the conversation when BofA comes asking for the Home Equity loan amount in full because your home just went from $485 to $410k...that would be unpleasant.

Anyway, we'll see where the HOA's come out of their lawsuit(s). The Edge group has never changed their promise — they just got caught up in a side debate and argument. Judges look for solutions — so, my expectation is that this judge will follow that same path. Leaving the group that owns the course out of the conversation makes no sense. All is does is fire up yet another lawsuit.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 05:25:36 PM by Forrest Richardson »
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Phil Burr

Forrest,

I’m glad you took the time to respond to my post.  I have the utmost respect for your contributions to GCA & golf in AZ.  And your point about the preservation of open space is a good one.  I much prefer golf courses to homes and after 25 years in AZ I’ve seen enough “natural” desert to last several lifetime (hence my upcoming move to the Midwest and membership in a traditional club but that’s a different discussion).

It would help me if I knew exactly what you meant by the term “Precision Course”.  It seems that Club West falls in the toughest sector for AZ golf: off the pilgrimage trail for visitors, lacking a big promo budget, location south of the airport without the easiest access, and now a stigma as an economic casualty.  I’d be curious if “Precision Course” is another way to crack the code of generating enough play and sufficient revenue to deliver a rewarding experience (amenities, conditioning, etc.) that locals will support over and over.

Forrest Richardson

“Precision Course” was coined by Ron Whitten in the 80s to mean “executive” but perhaps more inclusive…not just execs.

Our current Club West plan is 18 holes, par 64 with one par-5. We retained the range and added a very large putting course. The new clubhouse will be off the north and serve as a neighborhood grill and gathering haunt.

www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Steve_ Shaffer

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back