News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Erik J. Barzeski

Re: Augusta National lengthens #13
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2022, 02:17:21 PM »
Based on some of the pictures posted by Eureka Earth, The best I can tell, the hole has only been lengthened by ~18 yards, with only ~15 yards separating the back of the old tee with the front of the new tee. So, we're looking at the hole being listed at something like 530 yards on the card this year.
I'm not sure what you've seen, but I've heard 35-40 yards, and I'd have a hard time seeing this as only being about 18 yards:

Fuller size here: https://p197.p4.n0.cdn.getcloudapp.com/items/v1uEyNg9/1f28f423-8932-4b71-8e57-3f48d20a3615.png?v=4d270c0476f86328bd3344cc92c2a1e9
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2022, 02:59:46 PM »
From the Eureka Earth Tweet i linked in my previous post:

If you notice the tree circled at the top of each picture, that tree is visible on the April, 2022 aerial on Google Earth and measures 100 yards from the waters edge. Where the back of the Masters tee disappears into the shadows is 65 yards from the water along the same line. So at best, to stay short of that tree the tee could only be moved back 35 yards. But if you notice, in the right hand picture there is a good bit of space between the tree and the back of the new tee box, including space for a cart path, reducing the possible distance the tee has been moved back.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 03:08:45 PM by Ben Hollerbach »

Tal Oz

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2022, 03:12:36 PM »
If this Golf Digest article is to be believed, new Masters Tee yardage is 545y. I don't remember the exact verbiage ANGC uses for their tee yardages, but I believe it's back of the teebox to center of the green - always measured in 5y increments.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/augusta-national-13th-hole-changes-the-loop-podcast

"Though Augusta National won't confirm the exact yardage of the new tee until Masters Week, we're told from a recent visitor that the scorecard reads 545 from the tournament tees."

David_Elvins

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2022, 03:14:05 PM »
They talk at length about Lyle’s yardage into 13 at the 1hr27min mark.  For context, in the group before, Langer had 175 yards in.

This would be an excellent chance to show that you can give a simple, unqualified apology.
Apologize for what, exactly?
Pathological
Seek help
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2022, 03:30:51 PM »
Pathological
Seek help
Ha ha ha. Okay David… I've shown this whole thread to five other people today. One replied "Holy crap, they’re so confrontational they don’t know how to realize someone might be agreeing with them." Then he said "You’re not missing anything, they’re just really, really dumb and jumping all over you because it’s you." Another said "Seems like the other people are missing the point. I was confused with your first post until I read the explanation." But, okay, pal. On to the ignore list you go.

Ben, that's on a slope, with a camera/photo at an unknown angle, etc. I'd wager a LOT of money that it's > 18 yards for sure. Like I said, they've said 35 officially, I think.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 03:35:09 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2022, 03:44:59 PM »
If this Golf Digest article is to be believed, new Masters Tee yardage is 545y. I don't remember the exact verbiage ANGC uses for their tee yardages, but I believe it's back of the teebox to center of the green - always measured in 5y increments.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/augusta-national-13th-hole-changes-the-loop-podcast

"Though Augusta National won't confirm the exact yardage of the new tee until Masters Week, we're told from a recent visitor that the scorecard reads 545 from the tournament tees."
I'd expect some of the yardage change for the hole is based on an angle change with the measurement.

Based on the previous 510 number, It would appear they would have to be using a 3 shot, double dogleg measuring route. Even if the measuring point is moved back only 20 yards, that could add another 30+ yards to the hole just on changing the corner of the dogleg for the measurement.

David_Elvins

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2022, 03:59:32 PM »
I've shown this whole thread to five other people today.

:o ;D :o ;D   

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2022, 04:28:10 PM »
Based on the previous 510 number, It would appear they would have to be using a 3 shot, double dogleg measuring route. Even if the measuring point is moved back only 20 yards, that could add another 30+ yards to the hole just on changing the corner of the dogleg for the measurement.
So you're still contending that they moved the tee back only 18 yards or so?

Edit:
640/26 = 24.61538461 pixels/yard
1540/24.6 = 62.6 yards

Your blue line is over twice as long as your yellow line. The back tee box you drew is 900 pixels back of the old tee box, and you had the old tee box as being 26 yards at ~640 pixels.

Did you subtract 44 from 62 to arrive at 18? Or did you measure the distance from the BACK of the original tee to the FRONT of the new tee? (~520 pixels/24.6 = 21 yards)?

62-26 is about the 35 yards (36 yards) it's reported that they moved the tee, too.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 05:15:11 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Gary Daughters

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2022, 10:49:23 AM »
AP's Doug Ferguson talked to Tony Finau, who played the course twice in November:

Finau said he rarely hit more than a 7-iron [previously] for his second shot after a reasonable drive. That much has changed, but he felt the character of how the hole plays has not.
“I hit 4-iron the first time and 3-iron the second day,” Finau said.

The course is soft and long in the late fall and winter. Once it dries out for the first full week in April, Finau believes the big hitters will hit two clubs less.
“I don’t mind it for me,” he said. “I used to struggle with that tee shot. I like hitting driver, but I have to take it over the corner. Now I can hit it straight and it’s not going to go in the pine straw (through the fairway on the right).
The hole has played 510 yards. Finau said he looked at the yardage plate on the tee and it was 545 yards.
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back