News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Thanks to GCA
« on: November 21, 2022, 05:12:57 PM »
We have several more important facts for which to be grateful, but I traditionally make my annual contribution to gca this week because the generosity of strangers in answering my questions plus the countless hours of enjoyment and education each year is noteworthy. So I just made my contribution. And no, I am not a GM rater, nor have I ever met Ran. Indeed, I am more than a bit puzzled about why this Board remains so far out of date regarding technology. Posting photos should not be such a challenge.

A Terrific Turkey Day to all. And for those in countries that do not celebrate it, enjoy several days of us Americans not bothering you.

Ira

John Kavanaugh

Re: Thanks to GCA
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 05:23:44 PM »
I’m thankful because I know Ran loves me.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 05:28:51 PM »
I’m thankful because I know Ran loves me.

Perhaps Ran does or does not. But if the gca is accurate (a questionable proposition), you have not made a contribution in recent memory.

Ira

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 05:39:25 PM »
When I have given Ran honored my request to not post my name. Makes me wish I had bought one of those bricks with my name on it at Disney World. Never thought anyone cared that I had went.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 06:19:22 PM »
When I have given Ran honored my request to not post my name. Makes me wish I had bought one of those bricks with my name on it at Disney World. Never thought anyone cared that I had went.

Certainly would not have cared but for the fact that you made the reference.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 04:49:14 AM »
I am more than a bit puzzled about why this Board remains so far out of date regarding technology. Posting photos should not be such a challenge.

Ira

I must start collating these posts. Has there been a week this year when someone hasn't made the same observation?

Another one. Why does this DG use the only SOFTWARE Ive ever experienced that arbitrarily resizes to  unreable when you attempt an edit or add a quotation?

A few years ago we were told that donations would fund original articles. What happened to that?

Earlier this year changes were promised???

Without photos the board is dull and the level and quantity of discussion about architecture has fallen off the proverbial cliff. Can anyone tell me where all the lost knowledgeable posters now lurk? I miss their 'contributions'?

Sorry to dump on your well meaning thread but unless steps are taken the future for GCA is behind it, in the archives (and some of them are 'disappearing').
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 06:11:28 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 05:38:57 AM »
quantity of discussion about architecture has fallen off the proverbial cliff. Can anyone tell me where the knowledgeable posters now lurk. I miss their 'contributions'?

Tony

To paraphrase some American bloke, ask not what GCA can do for you, but what you can do for GCA.

Niall

Jeff Schley

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 05:54:38 AM »
Can anyone tell me where the knowledgeable posters now lurk. I miss their 'contributions'?

GCA is too popular, no body posts here anymore. ;D
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2022, 06:09:13 AM »
quantity of discussion about architecture has fallen off the proverbial cliff. Can anyone tell me where the knowledgeable posters now lurk. I miss their 'contributions'?

Tony

To paraphrase some American bloke, ask not what GCA can do for you, but what you can do for GCA.

Niall

Ran controls the Discussion Group, and now post his course reviews in a condensed version on Instagram. I follow over there, but the DG is kind of dead these days.... so I agree with Tony.

And they killed the "American bloke"!!
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2022, 06:15:43 AM »
Mike

Ran may control the DG but you are free to post on it, as am I and as is Tony. The point I was making was that it is for us as users of the site to not only add to discussion but to initiate discussion. In other words let's become the knowledgeable posters that Tony refers to.

Niall

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 06:18:45 AM »

Tony

Niall

maybe there's value in pointing out elephants...
😛

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2022, 12:16:25 PM »
Pictures are how people with nothing to say brag about where they are.

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2022, 02:47:13 PM »
I'm certainly thankful for GCA, for Ran's contributions, and for the friendships I've made through the site.

I enjoy Ran's mini-reviews on Instagram but I also miss his more in depth reviews in Courses By Country. I understand how long a review like that takes to compile and write so I can relate.

Please don't change the GCA formatting. This site is like a quirky old golf course. Love it warts and all. The last thing we need is something that looks or feels like the commercialized crap sites of Golf Wrx or No Laying Up.
H.P.S.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2022, 03:42:04 PM »
I'm certainly thankful for GCA, for Ran's contributions, and for the friendships I've made through the site.

I enjoy Ran's mini-reviews on Instagram but I also miss his more in depth reviews in Courses By Country. I understand how long a review like that takes to compile and write so I can relate.

Please don't change the GCA formatting. This site is like a quirky old golf course. Love it warts and all. The last thing we need is something that looks or feels like the commercialized crap sites of Golf Wrx or No Laying Up.

This site is as close as I venture to “social media” so the fact that I would be required to sign up for Instagram to read Ran’s course reviews is a non-starter. It is very sad that Courses by Country is going by the wayside in favor of the last 24 hours news cycle.  But it does lead me to believe that JK is correct and a pioneer in dismissing photos.

Ira

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2022, 04:44:07 PM »
But it does lead me to believe that JK is correct and a pioneer in dismissing photos.

This is wrong in my opinion. Courses by Country was my first and favorite part of GCA, and it is useless for me without the photos. Photos are not the problem. You and John are observing various social media influencers vapid and self-serving posts and then blaming the photos?
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2022, 05:22:16 PM »

We all love the site, but it can certainly be improved without turning it into commercialized crap. I just had to reformat this post because one of the "quirks" made it too small to be legible

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2022, 05:29:52 PM »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
…Is driving me mental!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2022, 05:43:57 PM »
Try imagine seeing something so beautiful that your phone is the last thing you reach for. In around 90 min I’m gonna make the eight mile ride home along the coast as the sun sets across the Pacific. The day no one has their camera out as they gaze upon the majesty of nature I will know God must be near.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2022, 03:32:07 AM »
Try imagine seeing something so beautiful that your phone is the last thing you reach for. In around 90 min I’m gonna make the eight mile ride home along the coast as the sun sets across the Pacific. The day no one has their camera out as they gaze upon the majesty of nature I will know God must be near.

If you can't see the difference between my inbox filling with pictures of other people's dinners and me choosing to seek out information where a photo is pertinent then...

And the irony of you choosing now to comment on people with nothing to say bragging about where they are?
More proof that timing is the secret of comedy.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 03:42:00 AM by Tony_Muldoon »

archie_struthers

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2022, 09:22:43 AM »
 8)

Nest time you play a turkey of a golf course try to enjoy the company, or at least the fresh air and freedom we possess . Thanks to al here and Ran especially. Have enjoyed my two decades of tormenting you all!

God bless, eat too much today

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2022, 11:56:17 AM »

If you can't see the difference between my inbox filling with pictures of other people's dinners and me choosing to seek out information where a photo is pertinent then...

And the irony of you choosing now to comment on people with nothing to say bragging about where they are?
More proof that timing is the secret of comedy.

Inbox? Do people send you emails with random pictures? I thought the email had become more sacred than that.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back