News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charlie Goerges

Re: Virtual reality golf as a way of experiencing great architecture: GOLF+
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2022, 10:18:26 AM »

Tom - thanks for the insight!  We've reached the end of my ML knowledge, and I cant speak the ability to overcome that (I suspect a talented dev could, though?).  It would be fascinating to train a model on CB Macdonald's courses, run Old Mac's topo, and see how many green sites it finds...

I think the problem with mapping the finished courses is that the greensites probably required the most work to begin with. So the computer will never find a greensite because they are mostly created by the designer/crew. What it seems like you'd need to do is map the eventual greensites but before any work is done to make them greens. I don't know if that makes sense. Of course the problem with that is you can't go back and do that with old courses unless there is a surviving topo map from pre-construction. It would probably only work going forward from now (or in pretty recent history).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 10:20:24 AM by Charlie Goerges »
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Kalen Braley

Re: Virtual reality golf as a way of experiencing great architecture: GOLF+
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2022, 05:29:47 PM »
I guess that begs the question..

If greensites are mostly created anyways, isn't identifying the hole corridors and routing, aka the other 90% of the grassed area the bulk of the "finding" work?  Or in other words what drives a potential routing more?  Potential greensites or hole corridors?

Steve Lang

Re: Virtual reality golf as a way of experiencing great architecture: GOLF+ New
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2022, 10:07:50 AM »
 ;)  Would seem that if folks like simulation (and maybe just stimulation) then the VR Golf thing is great.  Think that VR needs to be distinct at this point from AI discussion... does it really promote cognition?

AI should be a great tool making things easier for GCA's work process but not making final decisions... the more one knows about gca like Tom D, the less they may think they've really solved a problem but just approached an acceptable outcome or solution with routing paths versus greensite locations on a given site.  After all, let the computer code deal with topo based water balance and drainage calculations...

GCAs will have to put a lot of input into AI to make it work..

No matter the proportions amongst the elements, getting there has to be the most fun.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 11:45:53 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back