News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony Dear

Help Save Cape Cod Country Club
« on: March 08, 2022, 02:41:32 AM »
Following on from Steve Shaffer's post in February 2021, the future of the Devereux Emmet-designed Cape Cod Country Club is in the balance again. From Kevin van Cleef (@kevthyme on twitter) - "The fight to save Cape Cod Country Club continues on Wednesday 3/16 at 7 pm via zoom. If you love public golf, please submit a short email in opposition to concom@falmouthma.gov. Please show your support to help save this golden age course."
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 02:43:33 AM by Tony Dear »
Tony

Richard Hetzel

Last 5:
Bobby Jones (FL) Arcadia Municipal (FL) Eisenhower Lakes (GA) Augusta Municipal (GA) Foresthills GC (GA)

Brad Tufts

Re: Help Save Cape Cod Country Club
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 10:43:47 AM »
This is an interesting one.

Of course, I'm in favor of the course continuing to exist.  It's a fun layout, an Emmet course, and much like most of New England, there is a limited number of public, golden-age, affordable, quirky courses with pedigree and/or history like CCCC, Bass River, Highland Links, etc.  If it ever got the funds, CCCC could be restored into something really cool, and that's not to say that it isn't pretty darn cool now.

The Friel family has been a longtime golf developer and supporter, especially in NH, as they have owned a handful of courses over the years.  It looks like the family is going a different direction that doesn't involve golf (or as much golf), as this is one of two properties they are divesting.  They are not a "big bad developer."  Falmouth certainly has an opportunity to step in and preserve the course, and facilitate a change in ownership.  It would be sad to see it go.

I would say that David Friel's letter reads as tone-deaf given the pandemic bump golf has enjoyed, but I believe golf was on a slight downswing prior to 2020.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Cob Carlson

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 08:37:30 PM »
Ugh. Hate to hear about the plans. CCCC is such a little gem. I sent the following email to the commission...

Dear Gentlepeople: I am not a resident of Falmouth. But I have played golf MANY MANY times at Cape Cod Country Club. Most of those rounds have been in MassGolf tournaments.

I happen to love the golf course. It is an absolute treasure. I am a filmmaker and seven years ago I produced the two hour documentary "Donald Ross: Discovering the Legend" about the most prolific architect in the history of golf. He designed over 400 golf courses and 51 here in Massachusetts.

Devereux Emmet designed Cape Cod Country Club. Like Ross, he was one of the golden age of golf's great designers. His courses are all spectacular, including yours. He designed more than 150 courses worldwide.

Please don't sacrifice this beautiful piece of open space and recreational wonder. Figure out a way to take down trees around the course and frame it with solar collectors. Now that would be truly innovative.

mark chalfant

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2022, 10:35:36 PM »
Tony,

Thanks for sharing this. Cape Cod is an exceptional example of Devereux Emmet's work. It has a splendid variety of shots. Holes rise and fall over ground loaded with dynamic movement. The bunkering is very strategic.

Numerous putting surfaces have thoughtful contours. Too many great holes to list but the 8th, 9th and Volcano 14th are a joy to play.
Outstanding greenskeeper that presents the vintage Emmet features with artistic style. A great walk in the park!!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2022, 06:58:53 PM »
Brad + Cob + Mark makes me think I need to re-visit Cape Cod/Falmouth. I never saw it. Are there any good pics on an old thread here or other?

Thanks
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Cob Carlson

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2022, 08:46:33 AM »
Mark is a terrific photographer. I believe he has posted pics of CCCC on Facebook. I recall a couple of beauties of the 14th hole. Mark...let's see 'em again!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2022, 10:18:20 AM »
Brad + Cob + Mark makes me think I need to re-visit Cape Cod/Falmouth. I never saw it. Are there any good pics on an old thread here or other?

Thanks

Me too, and I happen to be headed out that way in June. I may need to make some time to play there before it is NLE.
Last 5:
Bobby Jones (FL) Arcadia Municipal (FL) Eisenhower Lakes (GA) Augusta Municipal (GA) Foresthills GC (GA)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2022, 08:56:37 PM »
Mark Chalfant sent me some pics for posting. The first two are Volcano hole #14:

9th hole:

9th green:

« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 05:54:47 AM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2022, 03:02:08 PM »
The course is more than worthy of saving as I recently enjoyed a play. The land is good with plenty of elevation change throughout making way for a good set of holes. Emmet found some terrific green sites throughout the property and there is no letdown as you make your way around. I believe the routing is intact and some $$$ and TLC could make this place shine. Regardless it’s a fun play with a lot of compelling shots.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2022, 03:23:50 PM »
Just received an email from Cape Cod CC.  Among other things they are accepting new members for the 2023 golf season.  Anyone know what is going on?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2022, 01:45:09 PM »
Am I the only one who cannot see the photos, three posts above?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2022, 07:52:45 PM »
www.flickr.com/photos/155168730@N02/52510401072/in/dateposted-public/

Long time since i have posted pictures.  This is the volcano hole.  If anyone cares to post how to put the picture on the site rather than a link...

« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 07:55:10 PM by Cliff Hamm »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back