News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric_Terhorst

Re: 2022 Lake Michigan Tour - 5 THE LOOP BLACK
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2022, 07:45:12 PM »
The 16th and 17th Black are two of my favorites on The Loop.  Both play downwind in the summer prevailing, and that adds to the fun of the finish on the Black.  The 16th is a longish par 4 and the 17th a shortish par 5, and both can be reached in two even by golfers of modest talents. 

Speaking of trees, the 16B/3R corridor is the narrowest on the course, and though you have to be at least 30 yds off ideal line, plenty of golfers have played from the trees on those holes. 

The 16th is a fave because I saw the green site just after it was shaped, in 2015 (?) and knew we would all be in for a treat when the whole course was done.  I hit a lucky chip-in for birdie once from the valley of death to the right, so there's that too  :)   The best line for the tee shot is over the waste area on the right, and it's great fun to watch a well-hit shot land beyond the trouble and bound forward in that fairway.

The 17B/1R green is for me one of the best-suited for the holes it serves, one a reachable par 5 and the other a short starting hole.  It's one of the larger greens (I think) but steeply sloped in front of both holes and strongly canted from L-R (17) or R-L (1)--therefore has a great potential to punish wayward shots, whether they are approaches, chips, or putts.  It's another example of how the design works in "double duty" as Tom noted above.

Sean_A

Re: 2022 Lake Michigan Tour - 5 THE LOOP BLACK
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2022, 04:26:04 AM »
The 16th and 17th Black are two of my favorites on The Loop.  Both play downwind in the summer prevailing, and that adds to the fun of the finish on the Black.  The 16th is a longish par 4 and the 17th a shortish par 5, and both can be reached in two even by golfers of modest talents. 

Speaking of trees, the 16B/3R corridor is the narrowest on the course, and though you have to be at least 30 yds off ideal line, plenty of golfers have played from the trees on those holes. 

The 16th is a fave because I saw the green site just after it was shaped, in 2015 (?) and knew we would all be in for a treat when the whole course was done.  I hit a lucky chip-in for birdie once from the valley of death to the right, so there's that too  :)   The best line for the tee shot is over the waste area on the right, and it's great fun to watch a well-hit shot land beyond the trouble and bound forward in that fairway.

The 17B/1R green is for me one of the best-suited for the holes it serves, one a reachable par 5 and the other a short starting hole.  It's one of the larger greens (I think) but steeply sloped in front of both holes and strongly canted from L-R (17) or R-L (1)--therefore has a great potential to punish wayward shots, whether they are approaches, chips, or putts.  It's another example of how the design works in "double duty" as Tom noted above.

All of the greens work both ways. The quality consistency is remarkable.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back