News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Two Unfair Travel Questions
« on: November 17, 2022, 03:23:05 PM »
We will have time next year to play only two out of the three in Ireland;

Baltray
Rosses Point
Carne

And two out of the four in Scotland:

Cruden Bay
Royal Aberdeen
Gleneagles Kings or Queens

Thanks as always.

Stewart Abramson

Re: Two Unfair Travel Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 05:48:14 PM »
There's not a bad course on either list. I'd choose two based on proximity/ travel convenience. Cruden Bay and Royal Aberdeen are both really good and  close to the one another, so  that makes a very good pair. If you do end up at Gleneagles, I'd play the Kings rather than Queens.

I'm a big fan of Baltray but if you are going to be visiting the western part of Ireland, Roses Point and Carne are where I'd play.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 04:07:54 AM by Stewart Abramson »

Steve Salmen

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 07:54:43 PM »
Can't speak to Ireland.

Having played each of the courses in Scotland once, I'd return to Cruden Bay and Royal Aberdeen.  For me, Scotland's gift is links golf.

Then again, if I ever play Brandon Trails again, it's because I can't get closer to the ocean.

Daryl David

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 08:48:54 PM »
Baltray and Cruden as long as the travel works.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 01:25:52 AM »
You can't fail this test. There are three best to choose from in each country, although I'd pick links over inland.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2022, 04:33:57 AM »
I understand why people are saying links over inland but Gleneagles is a very, very special place, something I haven't experienced anywhere else. Even the much-maligned Centenary, though not fit to polish the King's and Queen's thrones, isn't anything like as bad as it has been painted. How could it be, in such a glorious spot?
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 04:50:22 AM »
Ira

From memory you are a seasoned traveller to these shores and therefore will have played a fair amount of links golf. If that's the case then I'm with Adam in recommending Gleneagles. In the last couple of years its had a bit of a makeover to take the courses back to what they were. I should say it has been a few years since I played at Gleneagles but in my numerous visits in the past I recall actually preferring the Queen's course over the King's. Haven't played the Monarch's/Centenary or whatever they are calling it now.

Niall

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2022, 04:56:59 AM »
There's not a bad course on either list. I'd choose two based on proximity/ travel convenience. Cruden Bay and Royal Aberdeen are both really good and  close to the one another, so  that makes a very good pair. If you do end up at Gleneagles, I'd play the Kings rather than Queens.

I'm a big fan of Baltray but if you are going to be visiting the western part of Ireland, Roses Point and Carne are where I'd play.

I agree. Given the choices, go with ease of travel. The only thing I might suggest is consider playing King's and Queen's as an option.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tim Gallant

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2022, 06:55:28 AM »
Even the much-maligned Centenary, though not fit to polish the King's and Queen's thrones, isn't anything like as bad as it has been painted. How could it be, in such a glorious spot?

It's the worst golf course I've played in Scotland [no hyperbole, I would rather play Carrick Knowe in Edinburgh]. What are its redeeming qualities? Note: I walked it, and didn't realise I would need a compass and walking sticks to get between holes.

In agreement with Adam though that the Kings and Queens courses are lovely, and I would take Cruden and the Kings from the courses listed in Scotland :)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2022, 07:30:15 AM »

In agreement with Adam though that the Kings and Queens courses are lovely, and I would take Cruden and the Kings from the courses listed in Scotland :)

I will second Adam and Tim here.  I had planned to stop in at Gleneagles with Brian Zager this fall to show him the King's course, but it was pouring rain when we passed the exit so we went on to Prestwick instead.  If you're traveling with a bunch of low handicappers, then maybe you'd skip it, but on a nice day there are few nicer places to be.

As to the Irish question, Rosses Point is prettier, Baltray the better golf course, but don't skip Carne.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2022, 08:22:10 AM »
Tom,

I am traveling with my wife as always so no low handicappers in the group.

All who recommended Gleneagles, very helpful—not my initial instinct because of our love of links. But we are ending up with return plays at Elie and Crail Balcomie (fingers crossed on TOC).

The Ireland choice remains a trilemma.

Thanks to all.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2022, 09:45:16 AM »
I played the Kings course at Gleneagles twice in my honeymoon in 1986. Watching the telecast of the British Senior Open there this year I could vividly remember each and every hole. That kind of memorability is hard to come by.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Doug Wright

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2022, 02:06:58 PM »
Ira, I played each of the three Irish courses in the past few weeks. Picking two of three I'd go with Carne and Rosses Point. Depending on which of the 27 holes you play, Carne can be a bit of a thrill ride (in a good way) through and around some cool dunes; Rosses Point is a really fine links course. I don't know your travel itinerary but they are reasonably close (I played Enniscrone in between Carne and Rosses Point), while Baltray is a long way away near Dublin. i like Baltray but it seems like a pretty straightforward, less linksy course than what I want to experience on a trip to Ireland.   
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Jim Sherma

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2022, 02:14:51 PM »
I can vouch for both Rosses Point and Carne as well worthy destinations. Rosses Point is my favorite course in Ireland and there is a level of sophistication in the architecture that you don't see there often. Carne is wonderful as much for the sense of adventure as the golf, which is quite good if a bit rougher around the edges (when I was there the third nine was not open for play, looked wonderful from what I could see of it though).

The travel between the two is not bad, Enniscrone and Strandhill are en route. Looping down to Westport is worthy for the wonderful town and playing Mulranney. Westport GC is fine parkland golf in a lovely setting if needed.   

Ian Andrew

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2022, 11:08:21 AM »
We will have time next year to play only two out of the three in Ireland;

Baltray
Carne

Although, I prefer Enniscrone if your going to Carne
Stay at the Ice House in between if it fits your budget

And two out of the four in Scotland:

Cruden Bay
Gleneagles Kings

« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 12:45:06 PM by Ian Andrew »
-

Paul Jones

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2022, 12:21:11 PM »
Cruden Bay is one of my favorites, please do not skip that one.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2022, 05:33:54 PM »
You said you are traveling with your wife - it is worth every penny to stay overnight at Gleneagles.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back