News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: NBC TV Golf replacing 2 long-time voices
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 03:56:19 PM »

Golfweek has confirmed that both Roger Maltbie and Gary Koch won’t be returning to broadcasts in 2023. The network told Maltbie and Koch the decision was made to “refresh” the team for the future.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/11/10/roger-maltbie-gary-koch-nbc-golf-channel-2023-broadcasts/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 06:09:57 PM »
Maltbie was going to be gone this past year until Bones decided to jump back on the bag with JT.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 07:09:05 PM »
More Mystic Dunes.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 08:48:32 PM »
I was hoping one would be Paul Azinger.  ::)
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 09:14:57 PM »
It’s the product.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2022, 12:34:10 AM »
They are two very classy guys and were enjoyable to hear.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 11:23:42 AM »
They are two very classy guys and were enjoyable to hear.
That they are. Roger is as good a guy to hang with as you will find.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2022, 12:40:43 AM »
At near 70, and sounding like perhaps they were ready to go anyway, it sounds like the "refresh" spoken of by NBC/GCh (usually corporate bs for the brilliance of a new broom) was, in this instance, cover because any change-out of two steady hands is going to be disruptive... but if this move was a force out or the like, then a fool's pox on NBC/GC

That said, if they wished to still be working in 2023, I can't think of a more easily purchased legitimacy and television branding than these two gents would be for LIV, especially if it wants to not die on the vine of Euro-40 somethings and the ex PGA greedsters, and earn an audience of American ears....while the attorney and consultant's billable hours whizz like a box fan.

But because I wish the rank spirit of LIV to be disemboweled I'm hoping they won't be that smart.
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

JMEvensky

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2022, 06:18:51 AM »

Agreed--and a beautifully rhythmical swing back in the day.

And since I choose to believe the story, bonus points for telling Jack Nicklaus to go f*ck himself about not smoking during The Memorial playoff.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2022, 07:05:06 AM »

Has anyone contributed something similar to this brilliant turn, about a golf course architect? Something along the lines of "but because I wish the rank architecture of xxx yyy to be disemboweled..."

But because I wish the rank spirit of LIV to be disemboweled I'm hoping they won't be that smart.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

V. Kmetz

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2022, 09:58:02 AM »
bonus points for telling Jack Nicklaus to go f*ck himself about not smoking during The Memorial playoff.

Really, bonus points? Agree, it's a trivial notice on my part but Bonus points?...couldn't have simply smiled, not complied and went about his business...or quipped to Jack, "I'll start quitting tomorrow, right now I'm addicted and busy."

At that point, Jack had probably only funneled 10 or 20 million to community and pedia-health (as opposed to the near 1 billion by today)...hadn't won his 18th major...or hosted an entire prize tournament very many years yet, hadn't had his mature Senior and post-playing career, so I guess he wasn't quite the man of respect he was to become.  But bonus points?

I have enjoyed Roger Maltlbie, his blue-collar carriage, his beer-and smokes, diner-special ethos and his work as a reporter, but that was not a highlight for him.   
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Rob Marshall

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2022, 10:14:49 AM »

And since I choose to believe the story, bonus points for telling Jack Nicklaus to go f*ck himself about not smoking during The Memorial playoff.

I find that story very hard to believe that he actually said "F off". Not to mention that Jack was a smoker on the course as were others.

Fun fact: Ball on the tee is Don Allen's. Great amateur player from Rochester NY. Played in I think, 4 masters. When he went to hit the tee shot he could see Hogan's feet but he was afraid to tell him to move. Popped it up and his caddie told him not to worry "You won't have to hit in front of Mr Hogan again the rest of the round."  Don recently passed away.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/709855757/ben-hogan-arnold-palmer-smoking-photo

https://www.amazon.com/Golf-Collectibles-Nicklaus-smoking-Picture/dp/B00O2MF3HW?th=1
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

JMEvensky

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2022, 10:24:51 AM »

I find that story very hard to believe that he actually said "F off". Not to mention that Jack was a smoker on the course as were others.

I heard it from a friend who caddied on tour in the 70's and was standing 20 feet away--believe whatever makes you happy.

Nicklaus quit smoking in the 60's, about the same time as Arnold Palmer.

Tim Martin

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2022, 10:59:23 AM »
I’ve always been a fan of Maltbie and will miss his insightful commentary. He embodied a less is more style which I found refreshing.

Pat Burke

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2022, 03:40:38 PM »
I played in the last group (first time) at Bay Hill one year.

I will never forget Roger coming up to me before the round to talk with me (personally) to offer some advice for an overwhelming day.

On the 8th hole he snuck up next to me to tell me to slow down and enjoy it more

He’s a good man

Jeff Schley

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2022, 05:11:46 PM »
I liked both guys although when Johnny Miller left they didn't play off each other nearly as well on a broadcast. Liked the mix with Miller. I liked Bones before he left to go back looping.  Notah Begay is just ok. I like Justin Leonard.  Azinger I can do without. Feherty is gone.
Who is going to take up the mantle now?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2022, 05:27:42 PM »
I liked both guys although when Johnny Miller left they didn't play off each other nearly as well on a broadcast. Liked the mix with Miller. I liked Bones before he left to go back looping.  Notah Begay is just ok. I like Justin Leonard.  Azinger I can do without. Feherty is gone.
Who is going to take up the mantle now?

Its wide open across all broadcast groups for golf and seems odd there is nothing compelling now or on the horizon, especially given that other sports don't have this problem, at least not the NBA or NFL, (I don't follow NHL and very little MLB).

P.S. Nantz is retiring from college basketball games after this season, could be soon he'll call it quits overall.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2022, 05:51:24 PM »
P.S. Nantz is retiring from college basketball games after this season, could be soon he'll call it quits overall.
I think he'll keep doing golf for a long time, and the Masters for awhile after that.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Ira Fishman

Re: NBC TV Golf replacing 2 long-time voicese
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2022, 08:21:13 PM »
I think he'll keep doing golf for a long time, and the Masters for awhile after that.

“Return to glory” was completely contrived. The producers telling Faldo and him to stay silent was brilliant. Unfortunately, the silence did not last long enough.

Steve Lang

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2022, 09:24:06 AM »
 ;)  I like Roger's quips about LIV stuff, he understands the money and best of all... “Why all of a sudden are golfers the moral compass of the world?

amen Roger
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2022, 10:38:34 AM »

I will never forget Roger coming up to me before the round to talk with me (personally) to offer some advice for an overwhelming day.

On the 8th hole he snuck up next to me to tell me to slow down and enjoy it more

He’s a good man

That’s a nice story.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2022, 11:22:42 AM »

He’s a good man

That’s a nice story.

It demonstrates the inherent goodness of the man.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim Leahy

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2022, 03:03:50 AM »

I heard it from a friend who caddied on tour in the 70's and was standing 20 feet away--believe whatever makes you happy.

Nicklaus quit smoking in the 60's, about the same time as Arnold Palmer.
I witnessed Nicklaus smoking on the course at a practice round at Riviera in the early 90's.
Nicklaus lost all credibility and class when he endorsed comrade Trumpsky for president in 2020. Wonder if he's still on that losing bandwagon. ;D
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2022, 05:03:21 PM »
[/size][/color][/font]
Earlier this week, Roger Maltbie shed more light on his departure from an NBC post that he held for more than three decades.     

https://golf.com/news/roger-maltbie-dishes-nbc-dismissal

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back