News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Visby - NLU
« on: November 10, 2022, 11:01:08 AM »
This course on an island in Sweden looks fantastic, at least as portrayed by No Laying Up.  Has anyone played it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8lMdow6lTA

Sean_A

Re: Visby - NLU
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 03:33:42 PM »
This course on an island in Sweden looks fantastic, at least as portrayed by No Laying Up.  Has anyone played it?

I have! But the course on NLU was quite different. It was a decent course previously. Nothing special. The current course on the video didn't pique my interest as a course worth getting on a plane. Nice setting and island though.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 04:19:49 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 04:04:32 AM »
Conversely, it certainly has piqued my interest to visit. The whole set up there looks delightful. I think Fulke has done an artful recreation of the sand belt style and i'd like to see it for myself.
2023: Aberdovey, Liphook, Mill Ride (x9), Hillside, Lytham, Delamere Forest, Formby, Birkdale, Carya, Maxx Royal, Cleeve Hill, Sunny (Old & New), West Byfleet, Hoylake, East Berks, RSG, West Sussex, Hollinwell (x2), Alwoodley, JCB (x2), Beau Desert, Painswick (x2), Stranahan, Belfry (Brab & PGA)

Ben Stephens

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 05:59:53 AM »
Conversely, it certainly has piqued my interest to visit. The whole set up there looks delightful. I think Fulke has done an artful recreation of the sand belt style and i'd like to see it for myself.

Me too - also have you seen the Google Earth for the before and after aerials - Fulke (which can be turned int Fluke by spellcheck  ;D ) mentioned that 18 used to be 1 in the other way. Big difference and better hole now IMO

Mike Bodo

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2022, 08:41:21 AM »
My favorite course in the current NLU Tourist Sauce installment thus far has been the Stockholm Golf Club. Between the green complexes, elevation changes and quirk, I think it has the most interesting terrain of the three courses featured. Visby looks cool as hell for it being on flat land. I'd say Piere Fulke has done a tremendous job getting the most out of that property. The 18th hole there has an 18th at Pebble Feel to it. Great looking finishing hole.

What astounds me is how affordable the golf is there. Provided you can afford the flight, food and lodging, coming up with funds for golf is the least of your concerns. I can't wait to see their expose on Lofoten Links.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 10:03:40 PM »

I have! But the course on NLU was quite different. It was a decent course previously. Nothing special. The current course on the video didn't pique my interest as a course worth getting on a plane. Nice setting and island though.

Ciao

whoa.
That would be because the island you are stranded on has an embarrassment of riches in quantity and quality.
You are one of the few people on the planet who could make that comment and most of us here awhile would understand its context.
But speaking for the rest of us, that video not only makes me want to get on a plane, it makes me want to join, and certainly warms my heart that such an idyllic place can exist and thrive.
A refreshing piece about continued practical improvement, while remaining highly affordable, and a refreshingly different formula than most of the newly constructed poster children courses of GCA.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2022, 06:03:43 PM »
It looks a nice course but don't know I'd necessarily jump on a plane to go see it. Mind you if they had spent less of their 35 minute video talking pish and showed more of the course I might have had a different view. Watching two blokes sitting on a bench complaining about their golf games............could have done better, that's all I'm saying.

Niall

Charles Lund

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 02:52:38 AM »
I was in Stockholm last summer and flew over to play two rounds, 18 one day and 27 the next day.  There are a limited number of sea coast holes, with remaining holes through pine forest, meadow, or mounding and dunes giving it a Scottsh feel.  Two holes on the back nine have the look and feel of coastal lowlands in South Carolina.  The nine hole course is worth a play.

It's a nice members club with aestheticaly attractive and functional structures.  I played with members who werre knowledgeable about the development of the course and club.

I think the Swedish rankings  as the #1 course have to do with the natural look and feel, as contrasted with the Stadium Course at Bro Hof Slott, which is a clone of the Stadium Course at Sawgrass.

I'm part Swedish and hadn't visited Stockholm.  I liked my time in Stockholm.  The golf I played was a partial diversion.

Charles Lund

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back