GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Tahoma 31 Bermuda grass

(1/4) > >>

Jim Franklin:
Any supers have experience with this strain of grass? We are sick and tired of playing soft, wet bent grass in the summer. I have been told this is a grass that will allow mid-Atlantic courses to play firm and fast in the summer. Would be interested in others' opinions.

John Mayhugh:
There's a public course here in Kentucky - Park Mammoth - that just opened this year. They went with Tahoma 31 for the fairways and it worked really well during the summer. I haven't seen how it plays in dormancy.
My club replaced zoysia with tahoma in one poor draining fairway area (100 yards from green and in) and it was a vast improvement in firmness. I think it's an audition for regrassing everything at some point. That small sample of dormant tahoma played great last week.

Anthony_Nysse:

--- Quote from: Jim Franklin on November 08, 2022, 12:49:37 PM ---Any supers have experience with this strain of grass? We are sick and tired of playing soft, wet bent grass in the summer. I have been told this is a grass that will allow mid-Atlantic courses to play firm and fast in the summer. Would be interested in others' opinions.

--- End quote ---

Renovating A Classic - Sod Production Services

Mark Smolens:
Thanks for that article. Very interesting for the non-superintendent crowd...

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG:

--- Quote from: Jim Franklin on November 08, 2022, 12:49:37 PM ---Any supers have experience with this strain of grass? We are sick and tired of playing soft, wet bent grass in the summer. I have been told this is a grass that will allow mid-Atlantic courses to play firm and fast in the summer. Would be interested in others' opinions.

--- End quote ---

It all depends where in the Mid Atlantic you are. Also I believe Columbia kept their poa greens and the Tahoma was for fairways and roughs. Ie I'm not sure it would give a good enough greens playing surface that for north all year., especially if its needed overseeding. Bentgrass is a tough plant if managed properly so there may be other underlying issues at play, but again it all depends on the location as there is a cut off point where the bermuda would be better. IMO the switchover is probably around Richmond.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version