News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Marshall

Pelican Golf Club hosting the latest match
« on: November 08, 2022, 12:10:30 PM »
I’ve mentioned this before but I used to play the old Bellview Biltmore with my father so it has a special place in my heart. I haven’t been able to play Pelican but have seen some pictures and watched some of the LPGA last year. For those who may have played it, is it a good test for Tiger, Rory, JT, and Jordan?

If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tim Gavrich

Re: Pelican Golf Club hosting the latest match
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 01:05:24 PM »
Pelican should be fun to watch those guys play. Lots of short grass, not a ton of trouble, good green contours, definitely an ANGC influence to the look. I'll be curious to see which 12 holes they play. 1,8,9 and the back nine seems like a relatively doable rotation.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

William_G

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 08:22:09 PM »
at night, under the lights
It's all about the golf!

Matthew Galloway

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 07:27:25 PM »
Those guys will tear it up, whatever routing they choose. Good green contours might be a stretch. 3-4 interesting greens there then the rest of it is a very forgettable course. Shame that a public access Ross got ruined for a rich mans playground. Funny part is just up the street the a better course is reopening after wonderful renovation.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 12:37:35 PM »
Those guys will tear it up, whatever routing they choose. Good green contours might be a stretch. 3-4 interesting greens there then the rest of it is a very forgettable course. Shame that a public access Ross got ruined for a rich mans playground. Funny part is just up the street the a better course is reopening after wonderful renovation.

Loved the old course. Interesting article about how they allegedly acquired the course. Two sides to every story.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/2019/08/26/belleair-commissioner-voted-for-golf-course-improvements-sold-a-house-to-the-courses-owner-the-next-day-for-16/
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Matthew Galloway

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 01:40:17 PM »
Thanks for the article Rob, Well versed in the whole situation of the club and its origins. (Heck, was even offered a job there at one point)

Playing there Tuesday and will learn more about the routing for the Match.

And you're absolutely correct. the old course was a great public access facility. Shame to have lost that in an already barren wasteland of public golf in the Tampa area.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 12:44:59 PM »

Before and after:

Biltmore photos from 2017 shortly before it was closed down    https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157681856377840/with/34468689712/

Pelican photos from this year  https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72177720298820950

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back