News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Photography driving up the cost of architecture 20%.
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2022, 06:33:08 PM »
Mark,

In all fairness, I think it goes without saying if you catch the light just right in the dawn/dusk hours, you can find those magical glimpses on most courses.

P.S.  I thought Pasatiempo was a magical journey in my one and only play years ago, especially on the back 9...in the middle of the day, so its certainly very subjective.

Sean_A

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2022, 07:51:35 PM »
Here is a complete list of Top 100 courses I have played that are not aesthetically stunning in some way:

-
-
-

What is aesthetically stunning about Southern Hills?

I love PH2 and Somerset Hills but except for a couple of holes, neither is visually “stunning.” Nor are Bandon Trails or Pasatiempo (not a top 100 for JK). Outside the US, Swinley Forest, St. George’s Hill, and Woking (top 100 in my book) are not either.

It depends on the person and how one sees the course. P2 is a beautiful course, so is Swinley. Woking and SGH have their moments. All are attractive enough.

BTW.. I don't buy JakaB's rant. It's the latest in his 10 year war against photos. Marketing of all sorts has gone hand in glove with the explosion of golf over 100 years ago.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2022, 08:43:25 PM »
Sean,

Thanks. It has been at least 10 years. I’ve had fun and won some battles.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2022, 08:49:58 PM »
I think his last photo rager was about JC and his embellishment of images.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2022, 08:56:05 PM »
I think his last photo rager was about JC and his embellishment of images.

That stupid picture of the flag through the tunnel is on the clubs web page. Lost that one.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2022, 07:12:38 AM »
Here is the future of all of this. Now we will never know if this photo ever happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDd3a6o9U4o

I plan to take a photo of my backyard and turn it into the Road Hole.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2022, 11:37:31 AM »
Agreed, but it’s not such a new phenomenon.  Forty years ago Pete Dye lamented to me that clients wanted “18 postcards”.  [That was also a subtle dig at Pine Valley, which used to sell a set of postcards of every hole.]

But Americans have tried to make courses prettier than their British counterparts since Hugh Wilson.
Tom,

You right it is not a new phenomenon. When Robert Trent Jones built the Cashen at Ballybunion he had Kevin Frost do paintings of all 18 holes.

Would love to know what happened to them.
Tim Weiman

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2022, 11:52:26 AM »
Thank God that we all can’t paint. I’d hate to go to a concert and see a sea of easels in front of me.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2022, 12:54:53 PM »
Thank God that we all can’t paint. I’d hate to go to a concert and see a sea of easels in front of me.
John,

Kevin Frost was an art teacher in the County Kerry school system and was also about a 2 handicap when Mr. Jones built the Cashen.

Kevin did the paintings for Mr. Jones and also hit balls for him during the design phase of the project. The funny thing was Mr.Jones couldn’t walk the property, so the club put him on a horse to be led around the property. I think my friend Kevin had some help on that!
Tim Weiman

Tom_Doak

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2022, 02:24:42 PM »

Kevin did the paintings for Mr. Jones and also hit balls for him during the design phase of the project. The funny thing was Mr.Jones couldn’t walk the property, so the club put him on a horse to be led around the property. I think my friend Kevin had some help on that!

Wow!  How are there no pictures of Mr. Jones on horseback out there in the dunes?  That would be an all-timer.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2022, 03:34:17 PM »

Wow!  How are there no pictures of Mr. Jones on horseback out there in the dunes?  That would be an all-timer.

Tim you should ask Kevin to do a painting!
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2022, 08:40:27 PM »

Tim you should ask Kevin to do a painting!

Tony,

Long ago Kevin did a painting for me of #17 on the Cashen. Love it.

Kevin has agreed to do a painting of Old Barnwell for me that I will give to Nick Schreiber as a gift to the club, but that is probably 12-24 months away.

Tom,

I’ve heard the story of Mr. Jones on the horse a few times, but never heard about any picture taken, maybe because apparently he fell asleep on the horse a few times, so I was told.
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back