News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

Portstewart....how good?
« on: November 05, 2022, 03:31:44 PM »
 8)

To this day my one experience playing Portstewart left me singularly impressed. How about those who have been there more than me and why isn't it given more accolades ?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 04:18:55 PM by archie_struthers »

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Portstewart....how good?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 04:07:46 PM »
8)

To this day my one experience playing Portstewart left me singularly impressed. How about those who have been thee more than me and why isn't it given more accolades ?

Depends what level of good you are talking about? For me, it would be one of the easiest no-brainers for a sensitive renovation. Loads of excellent stuff going on though; and great land.

archie_struthers

Re: Portstewart....how good? Strand
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 04:12:16 PM »
 8)

Thanks Ally >I'm interested in hearing as it seemed to have unlimited potential and some of the quirkiest holes that I have ever played . Remember the sharp contrasts between the nines. Don't know that I've played many holes like #2 and the dunes were immense.

James Finegan has written a lot about the links of Ireland and considers it one of his favorites. I caddied for him and can tell you that he was very particular. Will look to see what he said about Portstewart as it might refresh my memory . Had a great experience there as we drank beer with our caddie / members after the round . This was a while ago yet some of the holes are quite fresh in my memory
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 04:18:33 PM by archie_struthers »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 10:04:56 PM »
My impression was that the dunes were awesome (maybe too big) but the shaping was more DIY and not that well done.  But that was based on a single round 25 years ago.  I heard recently they are looking at doing some major work to it.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 05:59:32 AM »
Yes, I believe one of the designers at EGD is engaged (Not Robin).

For what it’s worth, I am disappointed every time a traditional firm is engaged to renovate a links course. Whatever about the actual need for change in the first place, surgery to links land needs a full time design presence on site. Drawing detail and handing to an external contractor / shaper does not work nearly as well.

Shaping of some of those front nine greens isn’t that exciting but a couple of them are hemmed in the pocket of dunes and have little scope. If you wanted to go really minimal on the front nine, I think a whole lot could be improved just with altered fairway mowing lines.

But the whole course would benefit from a bunker overhaul. And there’s a few structural things that could be changed on the back nine including restoring a couple of tee positions.

I believe EGD’s primary focus will be on the 16-18 area of the course.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 01:26:44 PM »
I just remember standing on the first tee thinking wow! The front nine I remember being very good and the back nine being flatter and more open. 
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Brad Tufts

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 05:12:03 PM »
I saw it for the first time this July, and while the front nine was pretty spectacular, I didn’t hate the back nine either….there were several good holes.  It’s a bit odd…the front nine dunes almost too big and the back nine not big enough maybe?

I think they plan to change the order of 16/17/18 as the 16th green is closest to the clubhouse.

Overall, I was impressed, and I’d go back in a second.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

mike_malone

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2022, 05:19:00 PM »
It has been more than 20 years but I have fond memories and preferred the meadow holes.
AKA Mayday

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2022, 08:35:58 PM »
I'll be honest I don't love the first tee shot that I assume is meant to start the wow factor.  I did enjoy the course but have to wonder why the club feels work is required.  They are charging 215, which I think is the second most expensive in the Northwest.  I don't think it's the second best course in the Northwest and can't imagine after work they'll be able to charge much more (Royal Portrush is 295).

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2022, 04:20:51 AM »
£215 for the Portstewart Stand course! John McEnroes famous “You cannot be serious” comment come to mind.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back