News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will Thrasher

Upcoming travel to Germany (Munich Area)
« on: November 04, 2022, 06:12:14 PM »
Traveling to the Munich area (Traunreut specifically) for business next week...first time to that area of Germany. Any good golf course recommendations nearby? I am there for the weekend, so would be willing to drive 2-3 hours if the course is compelling.

Twitter: @will_thrasher_

Mike Worth

Re: Upcoming travel to Germany (Munich Area)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 06:48:09 PM »
I was stationed with the Army in that part of Germany (it was West Germany at the time) in the late 80s.  I’ve traveled back several times since then.

There’s nothing golf noteworthy.

I would do non-golf sightseeing. You’re close to Salzburg. Also Herren Chimsee Castle. And Munich. And Berchtesgaden. You also might luck out and find a local town beer fest which I always preferred over the more commercial venues in Munich.

If you’re intent on playing golf, and don’t mind a 2 hr drive,  Club Augsburg, just south of Augsburg, was Bernhard Langer’s home course. There’s nothing special about it (I played it once).

Another course I think is OK but would be about 90 minute drive is Feldafing https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/feldafing

Back in the 80s, there was a hard rumor that American service members could play Feldafing for 8 DMs because Eisenhower set the rate in perpetuity when he was NATO commander in the 1940s. I never put this theory to test but looking over the website it’s not bad and it has wonderful lake views.  Also, Andechs Monastery (and brewery) is close by.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 10:09:57 AM by Mike Worth »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 06:58:32 PM »
Munich is great. Forget the golf and immerse yourself in the culture of - Beer!
A couple of evenings in the Hofbräuhaus and you won’t give a damn about your golf game.
You’re a wee bit early for the Xmas market unfortunately but there’s still plenty to do. BMW Welt is a fun day if you’re a petrolhead. Might be a Soccer game on too.
Prost!
F.

PS Just checked. Bayern at home to Werder Bremen on Tuesday evening.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 07:13:36 PM by Marty Bonnar »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 08:41:28 AM »
I believe Mike Worth's post is spot on.  Beautiful place, not so much for golf.

Greg Hohman

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 03:20:19 PM »
I have a 1970 booklet self-published by Dr. Bernhard von Limburger that lists two courses in Munich: Strasslach (von Limburger) and Thalkirchen. Not too far: Dachau and Feldafing. In Augsburg: Burgwalden.
newmonumentsgc.com

Will Thrasher

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 04:27:23 PM »
Appreciate all the feedback - I've been convinced to leave the clubs at home. Evidently the NFL is playing a game in Munich a week from today as well, so should be plenty of entertainment.
Twitter: @will_thrasher_

Bill Gayne

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 04:54:21 PM »
Do a day trip into the Bavaria country side and see the northern Alps. Absolutely spectacular.

mike_beene

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2022, 09:13:52 PM »
Wurzburg up on the Mein is my birthplace so I love the area and wish I spoke the language.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back