News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Jackson

A little non-St Andrews Fife advice
« on: November 01, 2022, 09:07:00 PM »
I have a trip with some friends next summer to the West Coast of Scotland, but am heading up a few days early to see some of Fife.  I've done St. Andrews, and don't feel a burden to go back in for the lottery, even though I'll be a solo.  I'm flying into EDI, and have seen the courses East of the city.

I have a time on the sheet at Kingsbarns, but have time for at least two of the following: Crail (either), Elie, Lundin, Leven, or even Aberdour.  If you had two rounds to split at the courses above, which would you choose?  And any thoughts as to why would be helpful. 

Thanks.

Sean_A

Re: A little non-St Andrews Fife advice
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 12:32:49 AM »
Elie would be my first choice...half par king course.

There isn't much in it between Lundin, Leven and Crail. However, Crail is the most attractive of the three.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

James Reader

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 03:55:21 AM »
Elie should definitely be top of your list.   I do like the others you mention but Elie is, in my view, a class apart.

Have you played the other St Andrews courses?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 05:39:27 AM »
A round of hickory golf at Kingarrock is a lot of fun:
https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/hill-of-tarvit-mansion/highlights/kingarrock-hickory-golf
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 07:11:46 AM »
Elie is a step above the others you mention (IMHO) and a delight to play on a Summer's evening.

Personally I'd go for the New or Jubilee in St Andrews before the others you mention.

Haven't played Dumbarnie yet myself but all who have speak well of it so that might be worth considering too.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 07:47:35 AM »
Elie is the best, primarily because it has the most individual features that affect how the holes play, giving them good variety. This - along with a number of short 4’s - helps the unique mix of 16 par 4’s and 2 par 3’s never feel samey.

Crail also has a unique set-up with 6 par 3’s, 4 of which are in the last 6 holes. Views are the best of all, a mini-Kingsbarns on the same stretch of coast. It does feel a bit more like holiday golf though.

Lundin is the sternest - and longest - challenge. Some great holes but also the least quirky with the weakest stretch of holes from all four options.

Leven is squeezed in on a tight section of land but for my money offers more variety and consistency than Lundin. I prefer it even if it isn’t quite the same stern challenge.

Jim Jackson

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 08:12:32 AM »
Got it.  A clear preference for Elie amongst those listed.  I'll lock that one in.

I have played only the Old and Castle at St. Andrews.  But was trying to stay out of the fray there, as I feel I'll be back there for some dedicated play in the next few years. 

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 08:23:48 AM »
Jim

I appear to be a bit of an outlier here in that I'd put the order as Leven, then Lundin and Elie as pretty much equal, followed by Crail. But in truth you can't go wrong really with any of those.

Aberdour is also worth a play but I'd try Kinghorn or Burntisland before Aberdour.

As a matter of interest, where are you playing in the west ?

Niall

Jim Jackson

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2022, 10:50:22 AM »
My trip to the West is Machrihanish, Royal Troon, Western Gailes, Turnberry, Prestwick.

I like the idea of proximity between Elie, Lundin, and Leven as I could hit Kingsbarns then head back through those 3 as they're close, and I'm meeting my friends in EDI.  Hadn't considered Burntisland, but the name at least is compelling and I'll check that out.  And maybe I could get one hotel for those 2 nights and just radiate out to wherever I play.

Jordan Beasley

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2022, 02:42:45 PM »
Jim - my recommendation would be to pair Elie with Crail Balcomie.  On a trip a few years back I played Lundin, Crail, and the New Course (among others). Many of the holes from Lundin and the New now run together in my mind, but the memories from walking the property at Crail will never leave me.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2022, 06:24:05 PM »
I can speak only to Elie, Balcomie, and Kingsbarns based on one play each. Elie is a Unicorn in terms of routing and feel as others have mentioned. The back corner is particularly noteworthy. I would play Elie 8-2 on a split with Kingsbarns. Balcomie is one of the most scenic courses that we have played because of the way that it is situated on the point. It is not going to challenge you too much if you are a strong player, but as others have noted, the Par 3s are very good.

Mike Worth

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2022, 07:27:02 PM »
Adding my voice to those recommending Elie and Crail (Balcomie).

Jim Sherma

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2022, 09:26:05 AM »
I agree that Crail Balcomie is a must play. While it is certainly not the best course out of the list, it is possibly the most special. If I had four hours left to live I might as well be playing Crail. Leven, St Andrews New and Elie are very good as well.

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2022, 06:28:50 PM »
Funnily enough, the two courses I'd pick are Elie and Lundin - and not necessarily in that order. I think Lundin is loads of fun; a test, yes, but a diverting test with a really nice routing that eventually takes you into and out of the trees at the top of the property. But I agree with the others who have said that you can't go wrong with any of these options.

Ben Sims

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2022, 11:21:40 AM »
So here’s a question, who here that’s played the courses would vote for 36 at Elie in lieu of Crail Balcomie then Elie. Also, if you vote for Crail/Elie, is five hours too little between tee times?

Mike Worth

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2022, 01:11:19 PM »
So here’s a question, who here that’s played the courses would vote for 36 at Elie in lieu of Crail Balcomie then Elie. Also, if you vote for Crail/Elie, is five hours too little between tee times?

I can’t speak to the timing issue you mention. 

I would play both. I would not play 36 holes at Elie in lieu of playing both.

I think five hours is doable but it’s a bit tight. You indicated you’re playing in the summer; who knows if you can finish in 4 hours. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 01:37:47 PM by Mike Worth »

Ira Fishman

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2022, 01:31:51 PM »
We had tee times booked to play both Elie and Crail Balcomie again, but Covid interfered.

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2022, 12:05:25 PM »
Give some thought to Anstruther, a 9-hole course on the coast road between Elie and Crail. It features a par-3 you wouldn’t soon forget.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back