News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

Old Toccoa Farm Golf Club (GA) Pictorial Review Holes 1-18 up
« on: November 01, 2022, 07:20:06 PM »
I played Old Toccoa Farm Golf Club (Bunker Hill Golf Design) this past weekend. The course is located in a still budding, upscale, gated neighborhood not too far from the North Carolina border. Although quite hilly (except for the three flat holes that run along the river), I really enjoyed this golf course. We played the middle tees at ~6300 yards (I believe that it tips out around 6700) with a slope of 141 from the middle (blue) tees. It's a tough golf course. At times, great, well struck or even solid shots can (and will) end up in bad spots here. Lots of uphill, downhill and side hill lies to be had. Lost balls are probably pretty common. It's NOT a walking course, it's great cart golf however. It has a really nice mixture of holes, and I cannot really think of any holes here that I really didn't like. If you are in the area, I suggest you give it a go. It was about 37 degrees when I teed off and 73 when I finished up. Conditions were excellent, and the greens were quite speedy for it almost being November. I thought the traps and the green complexes were well thought out here. If I remember correctly, it only has three par three holes as well. It's got a nice "Mike Strantz" type of vibe to it. I think this is the type of golf course that can play very differently each and every time you play it.

Clubhouse and multi-tiered practice green (which I loved).
Hole Number 1

Hole Number 2

Hole Number 3

Hole Number 4

Hole Number 5

Hole Number 6

Hole Number 7

Hole Number 8

Hole Number 9

Hole Number 10

Hole Number 11

Hole Number 12

Hole Number 13

Hole Number 14

Hole Number 15

Hole Number 16

Hole Number 17

Hole Number 18

« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 08:01:39 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Last 5:
Bobby Jones (FL) Arcadia Municipal (FL) Eisenhower Lakes (GA) Augusta Municipal (GA) Foresthills GC (GA)

David_Tepper

Re: Old Toccoa Farm Golf Club (GA) Pictorial Review Holes 1-18 up
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 07:58:21 PM »
Richard H. -

Thanks for the pics.

Sorry to hijack your thread right out of the gate, but Camp Toccoa, GA was where "Easy Company" of the 101st Airborne Division trained during World War II, as portrayed in the excellent Band of Brothers HBO TV series.

https://www.camptoccoaatcurrahee.org/

https://wikiofbrothers.fandom.com/wiki/Easy_Company 

"Currahee!"

DT
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 08:03:35 PM by David_Tepper »

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 08:00:50 PM »
Richard H. -

Thanks for the pics.

Sorry to hijack your thread right out of the gate, but Camp Toccoa, GA was where "Easy Company" of the 101st Airborne Division trained during World War II, as portrayed in the excellent Band of Brothers HBO TV series.

https://www.camptoccoaatcurrahee.org/

https://wikiofbrothers.fandom.com/wiki/Easy_Company 

"Currahee!"

DT
As an Army Veteran, I should have stopped in there! I am headed back in the Spring so I'll check that out!
Last 5:
Bobby Jones (FL) Arcadia Municipal (FL) Eisenhower Lakes (GA) Augusta Municipal (GA) Foresthills GC (GA)

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 09:26:08 PM »
The photos remind me of Tot Hill Farm, which I didn’t love, but this one looks like it has more space and makes more sense. Will have to find a way there at some point.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2022, 09:47:55 PM »
Toccoa is about a two hour drive from Old Toccoa Farm. 

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 07:18:28 AM »
The photos remind me of Tot Hill Farm, which I didn’t love, but this one looks like it has more space and makes more sense. Will have to find a way there at some point.

I was disappointed with Tot Hill Farm to say the least. This place was much better, and more comparable to Tobacco Road, but I really liked Tobacco Road a ton.
Last 5:

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 12:46:17 PM »
Much thanks for the pictures. When I played it, I couldn't believe have beautiful and creative the architecture was. I only played it once but it still sticks out in my mind as spectular. So, thanks for letting me enjoy it again thru your pictures.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 06:58:09 AM »
Thanks for the tour. Lots of textures on display and I agree that it gives the impression of a Strantz course.

The negative I see (from pictures) is that there seem to be a lot of lost ball opportunities. How dense is the "native" grass on some of those holes?

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2022, 07:15:49 AM »
Thanks for the tour. Lots of textures on display and I agree that it gives the impression of a Strantz course.

The negative I see (from pictures) is that there seem to be a lot of lost ball opportunities. How dense is the "native" grass on some of those holes?

Hi John, hope you are well!

It's not too dense, even somewhat sparse in some spots. I hit out of it no problem a few times, but in the summer it might be a little tougher to take your medicine.

I lost 3 balls, two of those were from poor shots, and other was a good shot that ended up lost.
Last 5:

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back