News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Erik J. Barzeski

Re: Trees as Strategic Hazards
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2022, 06:16:20 PM »
What about the tree on the second hole of Holston Hills? It's in the middle of a cape hole type tee shot.

https://thefriedegg.com/holston-hills/

It definitely affected my play off the tee.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2022, 07:02:11 PM »
The B hole on the Whiskey route at Ohoopee Match Club has a tree smack dab in the middle and at the end of the fairway about 70-90 yards from the green. The hole is 350 yards so most players should be able to clear the tree with ease as long as they are not too close. The hole slopes from high left to low right and the fairway runs out faster on the right side than the left. The best angle, from the low right, is also mostly blind as it is uphill to the green. There is sandy scrub in the area between the tree/end of fairway and the green. The best strategy (in my view) is to hit it short enough to have enough space to clear the tree regardless of line. However, if you have a lot of confidence in your accuracy then getting it close to the green and left or right of the tree is a good play. The hole should also play well in the event there is no tree as you will still need to make a decision to lay back for a better view and choose which side of the fairway you like better, although that would be less important without the tree. It's essentially a different form of a center line hazard you need to think your way around and I like its effect in this instance.

My guess would be that they were only brave enough to leave that tree in such a difficult location because it's on the Whiskey Loop rather than the main 18-hole course, and its difficulty can be discounted when golfers object to it.  It's a very difficult hole when you drive it in the wrong spot.  I missed the fairway left and had no chance of getting up to the green, and after hacking out, wound up being stymied by the tree for my third shot.  But I liked that they went to great lengths to save the tree [it's a beautiful tree], and I concur with Charlie that it will still be a very good hole if the tree is hit by lightning someday.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2022, 07:03:53 PM »
What about the tree on the second hole of Holston Hills? It's in the middle of a cape hole type tee shot.

https://thefriedegg.com/holston-hills/

It definitely affected my play off the tee.

That's an American elm tree, and that was a factor in my recommendation years ago to save it.  There aren't many of the big ones left, and I don't want to be the guy to cut them down.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2022, 07:06:37 PM »
I just had a note from Crystal Downs two weeks ago that they plan to cut down the large beech tree that is through the fairway on the 12th hole, and has for years stymied second shots after long pulled tee shots.  It has been in decline for many years and it was getting pretty gnarly. 

They are debating whether to replace it and my vote would be to plant a smaller tree a bit further downrange and let it grow into play over time . . . there is no way they could transplant anything big enough to have the same effect on play in the next few years.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2022, 07:12:28 PM »
That's an American elm tree, and that was a factor in my recommendation years ago to save it.  There aren't many of the big ones left, and I don't want to be the guy to cut them down.
I think it's too bad it couldn't be magically moved somewhat left or right.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Tom_Doak

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2022, 07:44:34 PM »
I think it's too bad it couldn't be magically moved somewhat left or right.

As long as some guys want to move it left, and others want to move it right, it's probably in the right spot!

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2022, 07:50:28 PM »
As long as some guys want to move it left, and others want to move it right, it's probably in the right spot!
What if they don't care which way it goes, as either would be an improvement?  ;D

But really… the hole is a left slanted cape type hole, and the tree is pretty much right in the position you'd want to hit a little draw. If you go right of it, you have to hit a BIG draw. Left of it… and at best, you have to cut close to the tree and hit it pretty straight.

The tree wasn't too big of an issue, as I hit a cut that started left of the tree, and ended up a half a yard from the right rough. But were the tree 30 yards left or right, I could play the draw that started at the middle of where the tree used to be. To the right, and the shorter hitter is punished. To the left, and the longer hitter who doesn't want to curve the ball too much may have to play a bit closer to it than they want. Or take less club or something.

So I'd move it left if I could, as it removes the "cut it back against the grain" option for the longer hitter… without punishing the shorter hitter.

At least, that's my two-minute thinking on that. I hit a 9I to the green from where I ended up, so the tree wasn't really a big deal. I just had to hit a shot slightly different than what the hole might typically call for.

(It is a tough tree to go OVER, I'll note.)

P.S. Holston Hills >> Idle Hour
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2022, 07:53:28 PM »
I just had a note from Crystal Downs two weeks ago that they plan to cut down the large beech tree that is through the fairway on the 12th hole, and has for years stymied second shots after long pulled tee shots.  It has been in decline for many years and it was getting pretty gnarly. 

They are debating whether to replace it and my vote would be to plant a smaller tree a bit further downrange and let it grow into play over time . . . there is no way they could transplant anything big enough to have the same effect on play in the next few years.

Tom what are your thoughts on beech trees in general?

We had probably four of them that were removed and were too close to greens or fairways. 

To me I always thought they would be great far off in between holes as they are about the size of a sand dune and would present a not impossible challenge if you really spray it.  Plus they don’t get real tall so less of a shade issue if far away from the main playing corridor, good luck growing grass under one however.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Kyle Casella

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2022, 02:13:22 PM »
The B hole on the Whiskey route at Ohoopee Match Club has a tree smack dab in the middle and at the end of the fairway about 70-90 yards from the green. The hole is 350 yards so most players should be able to clear the tree with ease as long as they are not too close. The hole slopes from high left to low right and the fairway runs out faster on the right side than the left. The best angle, from the low right, is also mostly blind as it is uphill to the green. There is sandy scrub in the area between the tree/end of fairway and the green. The best strategy (in my view) is to hit it short enough to have enough space to clear the tree regardless of line. However, if you have a lot of confidence in your accuracy then getting it close to the green and left or right of the tree is a good play. The hole should also play well in the event there is no tree as you will still need to make a decision to lay back for a better view and choose which side of the fairway you like better, although that would be less important without the tree. It's essentially a different form of a center line hazard you need to think your way around and I like its effect in this instance.

My guess would be that they were only brave enough to leave that tree in such a difficult location because it's on the Whiskey Loop rather than the main 18-hole course, and its difficulty can be discounted when golfers object to it.  It's a very difficult hole when you drive it in the wrong spot.  I missed the fairway left and had no chance of getting up to the green, and after hacking out, wound up being stymied by the tree for my third shot.  But I liked that they went to great lengths to save the tree [it's a beautiful tree], and I concur with Charlie that it will still be a very good hole if the tree is hit by lightning someday.

I think this is likely correct, although I'd like to think that if that particular hole ended up in the normal routing they would've done the same thing. Gil and his team left a fantastic, large Chestnut tree that guards the right half of the green at Boston Golf. It's a specimen and also quite a nuisance to the golfer who ends up on the easier to access right hand side!

I found some pictures of the hole in question at Ohoopee on my phone. Most golfers would remember this hole (or fail to remember?) because it's the hole with the whiskey box on the tee.

In the first you can see the pin just on the left edge of the tree. This is roughly the middle of the fairway. I was reminded that the green also has a bit of a crowned thing going on, which adds to the difficulty (but again, it's a short hole). The second is from just in front of the tee. You can make out the tree just above the three walkers in the middle of the photo.

OMC

OMC

« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 02:17:04 PM by Kyle Casella »

Bob Montle

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2022, 02:42:07 PM »
"I would love for "trees as strategic hazards" to get a fair hearing on GCA.
My expectations are low, but my hopes are high."       
AGREED!   
The third hole at my local course is such a hole where one tree dictates your strategy.
Picture a short par 3, downhill, slightly curving left to right, with the fairway sloping to the left and with a woods along the right side.
The green has bunkers in front on the left and right but with 20 yds between them.
There is a tall cedar tree fifty yards from the green directly in front of the left bunker.
This tree is fifty yards to the left of the woods on the right but can come into play because of the sloping fairway.

A long fade will hold the right side, leaving about 100 yds straight to the green.  Draws  will kick left and gain distance down the fairway.
That is where the cedar comes into play.
If you end up left of the tree you only have 75 yds to the pin, but you must play over the bunker up to an elevated green with drop-off to the left.
If behind the tree, but short, you have an easy wedge onto the green.
if you hit a longer shot where you are too close to fly the tree, you are in trouble because you must go under the tree or hope to roll through the bunker.
So, on the tee, you have options.
Fade onto the right of the fairway
Or hit it short anywhere in the fairway
Or go long left of the tree. With a penalty if you place the drive poorly.
Without the tree this would be an easy and boring hole.
We cuss it a lot, but agree that this single cedar makes the hole.
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back