News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Leaves
« on: November 01, 2022, 09:09:06 AM »
The deciduous leaves are falling in the Northern Hemisphere.
Ever done an approximate calculation of how many leaves fall on your golf course?
Try number of acres covered by deciduous trees X number of deciduous trees per acre X number of leaves per deciduous tree  - should give an approximate figure, probably a big number too (calculation norms available on the web although vary by location/usual tree type).
And someone likely has to pick them all up, cart them off and dump them!
One of the joys of inland Autumn golf.
atb

Buck Wolter

Re: Leaves
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 12:01:26 PM »
Are leaves counted as Carbon Capture? After raking my lawn this weekend I was reminded how heavy they are.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

JLahrman

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 12:07:42 PM »
Are leaves counted as Carbon Capture? After raking my lawn this weekend I was reminded how heavy they are.

I broke a rake making a leafpile for the neighborhood kids.

I always chop them up afterwards, good compost for the lawn.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 03:52:46 PM »
Hard and time consuming work clearing leaves from a lawn or a backyard especially if the leaves have made their way into ditches etc.
Big task on a course even with the help of ride-on machines. Costly too when you add up the related costs of machinery, labour, fuel etc etc.
Cheaper in the long run to cut some of the more leaf prone trees down?
Or better still not plant them in the first place and/or not let any self-seeders grow more than couple of inches high before they are cropped-off by a routinely passing mower (or eaten by a grazing animal)?
Atb

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 09:05:06 AM »

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 09:30:35 AM »

That's a bit harsh on the kids, is it not !

Niall

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 12:30:40 PM »

That's a bit harsh on the kids, is it not !

Niall

Niall,

I had read that the same and had a good chuckle.  Given the world is up to 8 billion now, a few less kids won't hurt nothing right?  ;D

Bob Montle

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 02:10:06 PM »
Some of you will cringe,ButMy senior group has "Leaf Rule"A ball lost IN THE FAIRWAY because of leavesmay be replaced with no penalty at the approximate spot where it was lost.
It speeds up play and keeps us all happy.
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2022, 03:22:58 PM »
Kalen

I'm just glad someone appreciates my sense of humour.

Niall

JLahrman

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2022, 06:47:33 PM »
Kalen

Niall

You know, I'm pretty good at intentionally making dumb dad jokes. But that's the best accidental one I ever made!

I want to be clear that I only chop up my own kids, my neighbors have to chop up their kids themselves.

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2022, 08:46:48 PM »
Kalen

Niall

You know, I'm pretty good at intentionally making dumb dad jokes. But that's the best accidental one I ever made!

I want to be clear that I only chop up my own kids, my neighbors have to chop up their kids themselves.

Do your neighbours have to?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

JLahrman

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2022, 08:22:40 AM »
Sean, who am I to parent other people's kids for them? I've got enough on my hands. Plus my lawnmower is an old self-propelled walk behind. Maybe if I had a rider I would be able to chop up more children, but I don't have the budget for an upgrade.

James Boon

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2022, 08:44:56 AM »
Some of you will cringe,ButMy senior group has "Leaf Rule"A ball lost IN THE FAIRWAY because of leavesmay be replaced with no penalty at the approximate spot where it was lost.

Several years ago I was playing in the final of our County Interclub Foursomes and our opponents drive went under some trees between 2 fairways, generally cut to semi rough height, so we all expected them to find it. 5 minutes of kicking leaves later and the ball had to be declared lost. It felt a very strange way to win a hole, made all the stranger by the fact that there werent many other leaves on the course, just under this one bunch of trees (I dont recall the species). I suspect a few days later the wind will have blown the leaves away and someone will have wondered why there was a nice new ProV1 sitting under the trees?

As per David's article, when I had a larger garden I always preferred leaving the leaves were they were and letting nature take its course, rather than the modern obsession with tidying up nature. And dont get me started on leaf blowers!

However at Hollinwell (Notts GC) we have plenty of broad leaf trees that drop their leaves into the heather beds which the heather really doesnt like, but its certainly not easy to clear leaves from within the heather. As the broad leaf trees in question arent natural to the heathland we are going through the process of removing some of them, but you can really see the heather beds near these trees suffering in comparison to the ones out in the open.

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2022, 09:04:10 AM »
Sean, who am I to parent other people's kids for them? I've got enough on my hands. Plus my lawnmower is an old self-propelled walk behind. Maybe if I had a rider I would be able to chop up more children, but I don't have the budget for an upgrade.

If you insist...Remind me, where do you live? 😎

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

JLahrman

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2022, 11:02:33 AM »

If you insist...Remind me, where do you live? 😎

Ciao

I live in Grand Rapids Michigan. Just look for the house with the blood-stained front yard and vultures circling overhead. Believe me, you can't miss it.

astavrides

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2022, 06:53:20 PM »

Good. It's only carbon capture if the leaves stay underground. Otherwise, they release CO2 as they decompose. Of course, if the tree produces new leaves next year, in doing so it takes up the CO2 that last year's leaves released when they decomposed.
And, as David Tepper's link states, the decomposing leaves can give off methane if they decompose anaerobically, which is worse in the short term (better in the very long term) for climate change.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2022, 10:50:14 AM »
"Why experts say you shouldn't bag your leaves"

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/25/1131114849/leaves-fall-autumn-compost-mulch-grass-lawn-nutrients?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I think the article has a very poor title?  If they mean don't collect leaves and send them to landfill, that's what it needs to say.

It is common practice in the UK to use bags to make leaf mulch where you don't have a compost bin.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/soil_makeleafmould1.shtml#:~:text=Saving%20leaves%20in%20bags,-Take%20a%20black&text=Rake%20up%20leaves%20weekly%20and,around%20the%20base%20of%20plants.

Hate looking for balls in leaves. Yellow or Orange ones are most easily lost just at the time of year when they start to come into their own
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 10:52:10 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mike Bodo

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2022, 12:45:52 PM »
I love fall golf but hate dealing with leaves when looking for a ball in the rough. Why can't they just stay on the branches after they change color? It would make life easier for everyone. LOL!
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Tom_Doak

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2022, 03:21:48 PM »
When we worked on the redesign of Medinah #1, we found out that they had planted so many trees that they couldn't deal with all the leaves.  They would blow them off the fairways and over in between the holes, and there were so many leaves that it would completely smother any grass there and leave them with a lot of dirt between the holes.

Rich Thomas

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2022, 03:42:08 PM »

The group my dad plays with back home, a couple of them bought battery powered leaf blowers. They use it to find their balls in the fairway and rough, and then to clear the line on the green. It's kinda necessary when you play a course called Gibson Woods.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2022, 03:54:20 PM »
I was tempted to by a leaf blower a couple weeks ago until I learned last Saturday that Sylvania CC, where I play, has four available you can throw in your cart and use as needed. I thought that was hilarious, as I've never played a course or been a member at a club that had leaf blowers available for the asking.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2022, 05:55:16 AM »

If you insist...Remind me, where do you live?

Ciao

I live in Grand Rapids Michigan. Just look for the house with the blood-stained front yard and vultures circling overhead. Believe me, you can't miss it.

Other than the high murder rate, is GR an ok town?

Ciao

Thomas Dai

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2022, 06:55:31 AM »
Personal leaf blower …. “outside influence”?
Atb

Bruce Katona

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2022, 03:39:24 PM »
I just finished a round on a beautiful November day here "In the Swamps of Jersey".  The change in time back to EST, the low sun angle, & falling leaves made locating well struck (and a few not-well-struck) shots difficult and leaves did deflect a putt or two; but who can complain when you're out playing golf in shorts in November above the Mason Dixon line.

It was a great walk about.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2022, 02:38:48 PM »
I was tempted to by a leaf blower a couple weeks ago until I learned last Saturday that Sylvania CC, where I play, has four available you can throw in your cart and use as needed. I thought that was hilarious, as I've never played a course or been a member at a club that had leaf blowers available for the asking.

Crazy, I didn't know there was someone else on the site from the Sylvania, OH area.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back