News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

Re: OT Hoodies?
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2022, 03:30:51 PM »
Relative to this thread and proper dress - did anyone notice Rocco Mediate's attire at the SAS Championship. He wore a white polo shirt and sweat pants during his round - quite surprised that he did it twice and the PGA Tour didn't say anything.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2022, 05:22:15 PM »
Relative to this thread and proper dress - did anyone notice Rocco Mediate's attire at the SAS Championship. He wore a white polo shirt and sweat pants during his round - quite surprised that he did it twice and the PGA Tour didn't say anything.

Have also seen Rocco with shirt untucked and it drew the thinly disguised scorn from TGC announcers.

It all started with that stupid-ass mock turtleneck 15 or so years ago.
There is indeed a slippery slope.

Yet another sign that the apocalypse is upon us...;-)

(Reference to old Sports Illustrated)

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2022, 09:41:48 AM »
Shirt collars started as pure ornament. Frippery. So I'm not sure why hoodies are held to any higher standard. Their popularity has a lot to do with the balance and silhouette one prefers from their clothing. For some, the heft of the hood provides comfort and security in the same way others only feel comfortable in shorts, or in long sleeves, or with a collar, or without. And the appeal of the front pocket goes without saying, especially for those who never know where to put their hands. These things are rarely complicated.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Andrew Carr

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2022, 09:44:12 PM »
For no rational reason, I am enraged by the sight of hoodies on a golf course.  I also wrote the PGA Tour when I first noticed Nick Watney wear a Mock Neck, so I recognize that I'm in the minority position here, but if Mock Necks and Hoodies are okay, where is the line for each of you?  Are Pajamas okay?  T-Shirts?  Jeans?

I also understand history and that Nick Watney wasn't the first to wear a mock neck, but I wasn't following professional golf in 2003 when Tiger debuted the shirt.

I personally wish the polo didn't happen and shirt and tie were still normal attire for golf, but again, I'm in the minority.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2022, 11:53:57 PM »

I also understand history and that Nick Watney wasn't the first to wear a mock neck, but I wasn't following professional golf in 2003 when Tiger debuted the shirt.

The mock turtleneck was worn by the likes of Jack and Player in the sixties, and I don’t believe even they were the first to wear them.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 12:02:57 AM by Ben Hollerbach »

Greg Hohman

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2022, 07:37:42 AM »
Shirt collars started as pure ornament. Frippery. So I'm not sure why hoodies are held to any higher standard. Their popularity has a lot to do with the balance and silhouette one prefers from their clothing. For some, the heft of the hood provides comfort and security in the same way others only feel comfortable in shorts, or in long sleeves, or with a collar, or without. And the appeal of the front pocket goes without saying, especially for those who never know where to put their hands. These things are rarely complicated.

Mark, your points are new to me and in a (good) way complicated. :D
newmonumentsgc.com

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2022, 08:51:11 AM »
I feel like being annoyed by something like hoodies is like being enraged by a bad print on a shirt, or joggers, or high-top golf shoes, or at one time visors, or thick ties vs. skinny ties, etc. Some people probably objected to quarter-zips because they weren't sweaters. Or when golfers wore full tweed outfits, someone objected to the first non-jacketed golfer, we can be sure.

Style changes. I may not like how the styles look, or want to wear them myself, but I try not to care what other people are doing.

Will I wear jeans on a golf course, or joggers? No, probably not. I have worn a hoodie because… they're comfortable. Especially Rhoback hoodies.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2022, 12:52:48 PM »
Old guys like me (60) don’t like change in tradition…..but it’s going to happen. If you want to wear a hoodie no problem. Hat backwards no problem. Shirt untucked no problem.  Just turn your music down so I can’t hear it! Please! That’s just disrespectful imo.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Kalen Braley

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2022, 01:20:52 PM »
Old guys like me (60) don’t like change in tradition…..but it’s going to happen. If you want to wear a hoodie no problem. Hat backwards no problem. Shirt untucked no problem.  Just turn your music down so I can’t hear it! Please! That’s just disrespectful imo.

That's a triple amen from me.

Apparel and fashion is hopelessly arbitray.  40 years from now when we're pushing daisies, today's twenty somethings will be wishing for the good ole days when golfers were 'respectful' cause they wore hoodies and jeans on the course.

P.S.  I did encounter music on the course just last weekend, but thankfully it was at least music that I really liked.  :D

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2022, 02:32:42 PM »
There are "HOODies", then their are today's hoodies.

My initial impression of a hoody was that of a thick grey sweat shirt hoody with (like) a NY Jets logo on the front.

Nope, not today.

Today's hoodies are form-firtting and made from the latest tech fabrics.
I rarely see players pull up the hoods,but hear that the higher collar maks the neck warmer.

Our club is seriously old school, but the pro sells a ton of "tech hoodies" in the shop and the sub 35 yo crowd eats them up.

I was given one during an event and I didnt even try it on...gave it directly to me 26 yo son and he was psyched!

Tim Martin

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2022, 02:50:25 PM »
I feel like being annoyed by something like hoodies is like being enraged by a bad print on a shirt, or joggers, or high-top golf shoes, or at one time visors, or thick ties vs. skinny ties, etc.

You need to work on your use of adjectives. “Annoyed” is not synonymous with “enraged.” I’ll bet when you run away from an errant tee shot instead of employing the traditional duck and cover you look stunning as your form fitting hoodie accentuates your every movement. ;)

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2022, 03:11:00 PM »
You need to work on your use of adjectives. “Annoyed” is not synonymous with “enraged.” I’ll bet when you run away from an errant tee shot instead of employing the traditional duck and cover you look stunning as your form fitting hoodie accentuates your every movement. ;)
Tim, if you're gonna be a troll, at least try to do it well.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Tim Martin

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2022, 03:24:55 PM »

Clever response ::)

David Cronan

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2022, 03:31:09 PM »
It's fashion. One can only reinvent the wheel so many times. In retrospect, who would give a double thumbs up to the checked, polyester pants of yesteryear? Apparel brands have 2 seasons/year to grab the attention of the end user and get them to excited enough to purchase their wares. Hoodies today are the bell bottoms of yesteryear.

An honest question: would you rather have your picture taken wearing a form-fitting, cashmere hoodie of today or some bell bottomed polyester pants, wide white belt and polyester shirt of the 70s?

There is no wrong answer: only bad designs.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2022, 04:31:31 PM »

Tim, I personal thought it was well done. You almost made me laugh hard enough to spit out my Ultra on the airport bar. I’d forgotten about running vs the duck and cover…..classic.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Daryl David

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2022, 02:30:56 AM »

Tim, I personal thought it was well done. You almost made me laugh hard enough to spit out my Ultra on the airport bar. I’d forgotten about running vs the duck and cover…..classic.

+1

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2022, 09:48:13 PM »

It’s not just old school clubs that want to ban hoodies.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/hoodie-ban-arrests-academy-park-sharon-hill-fights-20221103.html

Full disclosure I have two hoodies from Zero Restriction which are about the most comfortable late season gear I’ve ever owned.  I wear them at my home club and around town but think twice when it’s a road game.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2022, 10:53:47 PM »
Not my bag, but if it makes other people happy? Go for it.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2022, 03:00:36 AM »
Sure, it wasn’t so long ago that Tony Blair banned hoodies all together, never mind just on the golf course.

They are clearly a controversial youth-culture choice of clothing for some conservative (with a small “c”) types.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2022, 08:09:51 AM »

Personally, I think golfers (like everyone else) should wear whatever makes them comfortable, and anybody who doesn’t like it should mind their own business, but you all know what a bomb-throwing radical I am.

Not my bag, but if it makes other people happy? Go for it.

My buddy and I still laugh at the time (thirty years ago) the pro at Woodlake in NJ (a public course) was reluctant to let us play without a collar showing. It was January. Sleeting. Not another player on the course. An old school hooded sweatshirt was the only thing that would cover our three thermal long-sleeve shirts.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2022, 10:44:27 AM »

P.S.  I did encounter music on the course just last weekend, but thankfully it was at least music that I really liked.  :D

I was waiting for someone to bring music on the course up and this is as wrong a response as can be.

If I don't choose to look at your hoodie I can look the other way.  If you are playing music I can't "unhear" it. Irrelevant if I like it or not, I play golf to go into a natural setting.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Kyle Harris

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2022, 02:50:44 PM »
For no rational reason, I am enraged by the sight of hoodies on a golf course.  I also wrote the PGA Tour when I first noticed Nick Watney wear a Mock Neck, so I recognize that I'm in the minority position here, but if Mock Necks and Hoodies are okay, where is the line for each of you?  Are Pajamas okay?  T-Shirts?  Jeans?

I personally wish the polo didn't happen and shirt and tie were still normal attire for golf, but again, I'm in the minority.

Shirt and tie as the normal attire?! You claim to understand the history and yet you want such horrible taste in clothing on the golf course!

If you truly understood the history those letters would be advocating for respecting the tradition of the true golfers of the 17th century.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2022, 03:09:36 PM »
You think there was a big brouhaha amongst the golfing aristocracy when knickerbockers (Plus Fours) started making their appearance on courses and clubs in the 1920's? Probably, but eventually people got over it and moved on. Same, too, will happen with athletic hoodies. A few years from now they'll be commonplace and accepted nearly everywhere.

Times change, people change and tastes change. If certain trends in apparel gets more people to take up the game and head out to the course because the sport's perceived as being hip, then I'm all for it.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Kalen Braley

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2022, 03:11:15 PM »

I was waiting for someone to bring music on the course up and this is as wrong a response as can be.

If I don't choose to look at your hoodie I can look the other way.  If you are playing music I can't "unhear" it. Irrelevant if I like it or not, I play golf to go into a natural setting.

Tony,

I should clarify, I'm with you as I'm no fan of it either and wish courses did more to discourage it.

But in my case it was at least palatable as we we're headed in two different directions on the course, and as mentioned it was one of my fave groups!

Andrew Carr

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2022, 01:17:50 PM »

I'll yield to something dressier.  I wear collared PJs, again I know I'm in the minority but I wish there was a place where I didn't feel like such an alien.  The kid getting a hole in one at Cypress was wearing a hoodie!  If it's allowed there, is there no place sheltered from such casual attire?

Shirt and tie as the normal attire?! You claim to understand the history and yet you want such horrible taste in clothing on the golf course!

If you truly understood the history those letters would be advocating for respecting the tradition of the true golfers of the 17th century.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back