News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Marshall

Re: Dustin Johnson $125m + 35m
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2022, 12:32:28 PM »
It is a drop in the bucket to the trillions of dollars the Saudi's have sucked out yours and mine pockets.  And for that we let them sportwash their blood money.  Two weeks ago they arrested an American when he stepped off a plane in Dubai.....and hustled him off to prison for 20 years because they didn't like his anti Saudi Tweets....

If Dustin likes doing business with these thugs good for him, but he has lowered himself to the level of snake poop.

Wonder why they didn’t hustle Phil off for calling them evil mother F’ers?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Steve Lang

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2022, 11:34:49 AM »
 ;D  isn't Dubai in the UAE?  Saudi's generally go to Dubai to relax and have some fun... at least the ones I knew from working on some construction projects did...  whisked to Saudi Arabia for 20 years??  Was this reported in The Onion?

I'm guessing Dustin's not too worried about his "legacy," he's already on many highlight/lowlight reels and video clips for his two majors and doesn't really need to own the media rights for them as an extra income stream in retirement. 

Not sure about Perez, but I read that his overall $18,000,000 signing+ earnings haul this inaugural LIV year is equivalent to 60% of his 25 year pro earnings...

Dustin, is probably looking to keep improving his game and hoping that this LIV/PGAT/DPWT/OWGR respect thing will all get resolved in the next 12 years before he can play on the Champions Tour... 

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2022, 12:37:10 PM »
It is a drop in the bucket to the trillions of dollars the Saudi's have sucked out yours and mine pockets.  And for that we let them sportwash their blood money.  Two weeks ago they arrested an American when he stepped off a plane in Dubai.....and hustled him off to prison for 20 years because they didn't like his anti Saudi Tweets....

If Dustin likes doing business with these thugs good for him, but he has lowered himself to the level of snake poop.

Wonder why they didn’t hustle Phil off for calling them evil mother F’ers?

I wonder that too. Maybe, just maybe he should watch his back.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2022, 07:43:02 PM »
I agree. But who said pro golf was about common sense?
It's not a common sense issue.

The rules - established long before LIV - said that you had to meet certain criteria for a year to be considered. They haven't met them, and it hasn't been a year, so the clock hasn't even started ticking.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2022, 08:26:46 PM »
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2022, 08:33:48 PM »
I agree. But who said pro golf was about common sense?
It's not a common sense issue.

The rules - established long before LIV - said that you had to meet certain criteria for a year to be considered. They haven't met them, and it hasn't been a year, so the clock hasn't even started ticking.

No common sense.. you got that right. Rules? The rules are arbitrary, ever changing and can be further altered and will be altered in the future. The rules are fluid.

A ranking system's only function is to rank golfers. What is the point of excluding golfers? The people operating the system are too bone idle (a charitable interpretation) to develop a new way to rank golfers based on the current landscape of pro golf. If a ranking system cannot or will not include certain players, then it must necessarily be the case that the system doesn't function properly as a World Ranking. World Ranking - X players = Not a World Ranking.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2022, 09:19:25 PM »
No common sense.
You can keep saying that, but it doesn't make it true. It's not a "common sense" issue. Common sense says "this is the expected outcome." They haven't complied with the requirements, so they haven't been granted OWGR points.

you got that right. Rules? The rules are arbitrary, ever changing and can be further altered and will be altered in the future. The rules are fluid.
Expecting them to be fluid in exactly the way the LIV idiots want them to be is also not "common sense."

A ranking system's only function is to rank golfers.

Not quite, no.

The OWGR Mission says (emphasis mine):
The mission of the OWGR is to administer and publish, on a weekly basis, a transparent, credible, and accurate Ranking based on the relative performances of players participating in male Eligible Golf Tours worldwide.

What is the point of excluding golfers?

Okay, so Eric Cole, Ben Crane, and two other guys ranked 1235 and 1473 swing by a local country club every Tuesday and play a nine-hole scramble. Should those competitions award OWGR points? After all, they're ranked golfers, right?

In other words, you have to draw the line somewhere, and the OWGR has drawn the line at:
  • Meet these requirements.
  • Do so for a year.
[size=78%]The people operating the system are too bone idle (a charitable interpretation) to develop a new way to rank golfers based on the current landscape of pro golf.[/size]
Why should they have to?
If a ranking system cannot or will not include certain players, then it must necessarily be the case that the system doesn't function properly as a World Ranking. World Ranking - X players = Not a World Ranking.
So your ranking system, the SAWGR, would include the nine-hole Tuesday men's league? Why not?
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2022, 09:38:18 PM »
$8 a month. The world is ending.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2022, 11:42:42 PM »
The LIV still can't get a national TV deal while Cornhole and Bowling are being televised. The Golf Channel doesn't even show LIV highlights or include results on their ticker. The Saudi's have already said they are pulling out in 2025. Face it LIV is dead. :P
If you want to watch a bunch of overpaid hasbeens you can put on a Lakers or Nets game.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2022, 12:14:45 AM »
LIV Golf was televised in Canada this year on CHCH-TV Hamilton, a superstation there akin to WTBS in the old days of cable in the U.S. There were local commercials, just dropped into the LIV feed, albeit carefully, by CHCH. Coverage would be picked back up in mid-sentence.

I'd imagine a network deal would force a rearrangement of the no-commercial policy, unless LIV succeeded in just buying the time. Which would be a drop in the budget bucket compared to some other expenses. LIV didn't want to do it this year, figuring it would hurt the value of whatever rights fee they're aiming for in 2023. But if they don't get a rights fee, then I think they write the check, the way Champ Car did for races on CBS in the late 1990s-early 2000s and other entities have done to get air time over the decades.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Rob Marshall

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2022, 08:20:53 AM »
I would like someone to ask one of the players and their wife if they would live in Saudi Arabia for the life of their contract for the money. I would love to hear an honest answer
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back