News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Multiple Plays on a Trip?
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2022, 03:28:31 PM »
The post trip glow of telling the world where you played is overrated. No one cares.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2022, 03:53:40 PM »
The post trip glow of telling the world where you played is overrated. No one cares.

John,

Although I have never had the pleasure of meeting you, I follow your travels in a “Where’s Waldo?” spirit. And I mean that as a compliment. Not only do you pop up all over the place, but you are more than willing than most posters to challenge the conventional wisdom on this discussion board. You also have joined and left more clubs than any person about which I have heard.

Ira

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2022, 08:52:33 PM »
My golf highlight by far was having the whole year overseas right after college.  I saw 172 courses that year, but I was also not on a schedule, so I was free to spend a couple of months in St. Andrews and a few days each at Dornoch, Ballybunion, Lahinch, North Berwick, and other places that caught my fancy.  You do learn more about a great course the more you stay, or the more you go back, but some courses have far more to teach than others.

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2022, 03:50:45 AM »
Too many golfers who play mediocre courses over and over at home go somewhere else and play far superior courses only once. In practical terms it makes very little sense. Why would you go to southwest Ireland and play Lahinch one day and then Doonbeg the next when you could stay in Lahinch and get to know not just the golf course but the town a little bit?

Variety?

Ciao

You wouldn't experience a satisfactory variety of golf shots over the course of two rounds on consecutive days at Lahinch, one of the best golf courses in the world?

I probably wouldn't do it for Lahinch these days, but I would for other courses. I usually prefer to stay in one small area and hit courses to/from on the journey, but sometimes that doesn't work well if there are plenty of courses I want to see. There really isn't a wrong answer.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2022, 05:28:36 AM »
I agree with Sean that there really isn’t a wrong answer. It mostly depends on circumstance and preference.

I will have some trips where I play one or two courses multiple times and others - to a new area - where I want to see a number of courses.

I do have a couple of personal parameters: I dislike playing at more than one club at any given day. I like to experience the club with course properly, be it for 18 or 36. Shooting off quickly at lunchtime to get somewhere else is a bit miserable…. Similarly, I prefer my travel to a new accommodation to be first thing in the morning rather than last thing at night so that I can enjoy my evening. Perhaps because of that, I always try and minimise accommodations on a trip.

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2022, 05:46:00 AM »
Ohh man, shooting off quickly to another course for a second 18 doesn't appeal to me in the least. I don't mind if there is a good break, then take a view and maybe see a 9 holer. But rushing around is not for me. That's usually why I dislike scheduled 36 hole days. Invariably it leads to rushing around to get on the tee for the PM round.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back