News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

Re: William Watson Article - New Course Credits
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2020, 10:59:37 PM »
Mark:

If you're talking about the 1920 Ad where he only noted seven courses, it doesn't surprise me at all.  Interlachen was the better known course in the area at the time, and with the limited amount noted, there were a bunch he left out.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2020, 12:51:11 AM »
Kevin,

My question pertained to the first paragraph and the club being put together by Irving Kahn, Harry Camp and Mervin Samuels in Oakland. 

Sven

It appears that Irving Kahn's 1969 obituary is available online (if you pay to access it), so perhaps it mentions any clubs he belonged to.  Doubtful though, that it would help with your question, since the number of courses in and around Oakland is limited and well known.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2022, 10:54:18 AM »
A photo of Watson.

May 8, 1910 Minneapolis Journal -

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2022, 11:01:59 AM »
The entire May 8, 1910 Minneapolis Journal article, noting in his own words his work laying out Interlachen and noting this was only his third course design in Minnesota.

The article also notes that during the last seven years Watson had either laid out a course, renovated a course or taught the game in the following locations, suggesting there might be a few course credits of which we are not yet aware:

Sacramento
Tacoma
Seattle
Helena
Butte
Duluth
Superior
Pueblo
Denver
Spokane
Lima

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back