News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Do you ever play foursomes?
« on: October 09, 2022, 10:45:35 PM »
By that I mean alternate shot. I know some UK courses play it regularly. I have played it in a few club tournaments years ago but I never enjoyed it.
Do many of you play it?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Doug Bolls

Re: Do you ever play foursomes?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 11:24:21 PM »
The only time I played it was at Muirfield after lunch - don't remember much about it - too much Kummel I think.  Never play it here in the USA.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 02:04:58 AM »
Yes in UK and a few times in US with some friends. Usually first group out and play in 3 hours or less. I really enjoy the format after being introduced to it in the UK.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 02:09:23 AM »
Bar a couple of comps in the summer, my club tends to leave its foursomes for the winter where we have quite a few weekends dedicated to the format.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 03:57:54 AM »
Had the misfortune to once play foresomes as a last minute substitute, “please play, we’re one short”, with a semi-beginner as my partner and the only balls in my bag were balata Titleists. After the first hole ‘our’ ball looked like something a dog had been chewing on for weeks.

Atb

DFarron

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2022, 05:39:16 AM »
Yes once at Muirfield and it was a scream! Played in 2 hours….

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2022, 07:17:12 AM »
Occasionally in a club tournament but never for regular play.

Steve Lang

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2022, 10:16:01 AM »
In tournaments, but never more than 9 holes there, and most often with a Shamble start... both players tee off, pick the best go alternate from there, minimum 3 tee shots used by each team member

Team spirit/strategy phrases:

1) Sorry is not in our vocabulary...
2) I got that shot...
3) Do what you can do!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2022, 10:28:39 AM »
Rarely but I have loved it when I have played it.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2022, 10:34:02 AM »
I like foursomes, but no one I know ever wants to play it in the U.S. My friends object when I suggest it (very strenuously when we visit new courses) as they always want to play their own ball . The only times I've played it in the U.S. were for a segment of an annual Ryder Cup style event at my old club. I've played foursomes as a PM round at Muirfield. On a recent visit to Scotland we played Corbie Hill as a PM round following Cruden Bay in the morning. Everyone was a bit tired so we played foursomes on the back nine and it was a lot of fun, with the match going to the final hole. Next year I'm hoping visit Rye. I understand foursomes is a main format there and would look forward to playing it there.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2022, 10:43:51 AM »
Consider this: At Royal Worlington (9-holes) they have the same number of members as any other "Royal" 18-hole course. They play the same amount of golf...i.e., they play the same number of 18-hole equivalents. How? Because they ONLY play foursomes. Each 9-hole 'round' is only, give or take, 1.25 hours (2.5 hours per '18-hole equivalent')

Imagine if we did that worldwide how much water, labor, etc,. could be saved.

---

Conversation among Americans visiting Royal Worlington and the club secretary:

SEC  "Greetings gentlemen, welcome to Royal Worlington...who are your teams today for your foursomes match?"

AMERICANS  "Oh, we'll be playing stroke play..."

SEC  "Really, then at what course will you be playing...?"

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Jim Sherma

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2022, 10:59:04 AM »
Foursomes is hard. Couple of club events a year will have 9 holes as a shamble/alternate shot. In 40+ years of playing I've never heard of anyone playing it by choice as part of their normal rounds in the states.

I think a lot of the American aversion to foursomes is that people don't think they are getting their money's worth since they aren't playing all the shots themselves.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2022, 11:14:24 AM »
I love foursomes as a format for golf, and as some lucky people here know, we have made it a feature of the Renaissance Cup for the last two or three matches.  It eliminates the tendency in best-ball for one partner to dominate the team's result; the weaker player doesn't have to hit great shots, but he has to perform.

It's also a great format for getting a beginner out there; if they whiff or top a shot, they hand off to their partner, and don't get so frustrated.

And, as mentioned, it's a much faster round, especially because you only have to look for half as many balls.

Americans generally hate the format because they are too focused on posting a score of their own.  Meanwhile there are a few clubs in the UK that are strictly "two-ball" clubs, as Forrest described of Royal Worlington & Newmarket . . . and nearly all of these are among my favorite places in the country to play.  What a coincidence!

Ken Moum

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2022, 12:00:12 PM »
I got married so I could play in a foursomes comp...the SD State Husband and Wife.

My wife and I have played in every foursomes conp we can find for more than 30 years.

Oddly, we've shot scores equal to or better than either of us could do on our own ball.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

David Jones

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2022, 01:09:58 PM »

It's also a great format for getting a beginner out there; if they whiff or top a shot, they hand off to their partner, and don't get so frustrated.

My 10 year old daughter is just showing an interest in the game and the two of us have gone out a few evenings and played alternate shot. We've been doing greensomes so both hit drives. As Tom says it is great way to keep the frustration levels down. It means she doesn't get 'stuck' on one type of shot for too long and keeps us moving along.

JohnVDB

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2022, 01:15:21 PM »
I’ve played in a few at Dornoch. During our captains weekend coming up in two weeks, we have a team event where it is mixed foursomes with three sides of two on the team with the best ball of the three counting, it is also net Stableford. it is a lot more fun than serious golf.  My first year, my partner was an 80-year old woman and we laughed all the way around.

The Western Pennsylvania Golf Association has two foursomes events. The Fred Brand Foursomes is at Longue Vue and brings in some of the best players in Western PA every year. The Simple Century Foursomes is held at Allegheny CC. The combined age of the two players must be 100 or greater.  I played in it when I lived there and it was great fun.  Both events are 36 holes in one day.  The player who hit the second shot on #1 in the morning had to tee off on #1 in the afternoon so you got to hit every shot over the course of the day.

David Ober

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2022, 01:26:28 PM »
By that I mean alternate shot. I know some UK courses play it regularly. I have played it in a few club tournaments years ago but I never enjoyed it.
Do many of you play it?

I love the format.

Have played the SCGA Foursomes most years for the last 15 or so years. Have three "runner-up" plates for 2nd and 3rd-place finishes with three different partners over the years. I love the format. Why? Because I'm a very, very short hitter for a competitive am. Give me a moderate to long-hitting partner, strategically choose who tees off on odds and who tees off on events, and we can do some damage. :-)

One of the years my partner and I were on our way to winning in a playoff over a couple elite teams. Unfortunately, I returned a 15th club to my bag after the round (I had left it with the assistant pro prior to teeing off that day and he returned it to me after the round while we were on the putting green). Completely unprepared to be in a playoff and zoned out, I then teed off with it in my bag in the playoff.

My partner noticed it because I told him that morning I was taking my 2H out of my bag in order to use my 5W. It was the only club I had with a white shaft. He notice on our third playoff hole and said: "What do we do???"

We drove up to the 12th at Bear Creek, I held the club aloft and said: "We're done. DQ us." LOL

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2022, 02:16:57 PM »
A few times in club tournaments, but never otherwise. 
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2022, 02:17:52 PM »
I got married so I could play in a foursomes comp...the SD State Husband and Wife.

My wife and I have played in every foursomes conp we can find for more than 30 years.

Oddly, we've shot scores equal to or better than either of us could do on our own ball.

Ken when can we expect the pair of you at BUDA? ;D  Most years we manage one round in our "Ryder Cup" style 5 rounds.

It's yet another great thing about Golf.  If golf is really a mental game (I believe it is), then the added pressure of not letting your partner down, elevates it to a new level.  (And its the most sociable form of golf).
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2022, 03:02:15 PM »
We have 2 club strokeplay competitions that are foursomes and I always play in them.  We also have a (very popular) foursomes knock-out cup.  On my visits to Muirfield we always play foursomes in the afternoon.  And then, of course, it normally features at BUDA.

I love the format.  It's quite demanding, very quick and great fun.  Those who don't play it because they want to play their own ball are missing out, I think.  What's interesting is how many US BUDA participants are or were reluctant on their first match but become real converts.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2022, 03:56:04 PM »
Fell in love with the format in the PM round at Flossmoor with Mark Chapin's group from RCP quite a few years ago. Have been asking/requesting that the CDGA at least try to run a couple of foursomes events as part of their tournament schedule, but with no success so far...

It's a fabulous format for a group on a trip playing 36 holes per day. The only real problem is that you play so quickly that if there are other non-foursomes groups in front you'll be standing around a lot.

Peter Flory

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2022, 04:02:19 PM »
I recently played in an eightsome with 4 alt shot teams.  It was so much fun and I would do that again in a heartbeat, especially for a second round of the day.  The best part was that you were roaming in a pack and could have a lot of conversations in between shots while still getting done quickly. 

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2022, 05:12:27 PM »
Do You Know the Game You’re Playing?

We can’t choose the game. We can’t choose the rules. We can only choose how we play. In finite games, like football or chess, the players are known, the rules are fixed, and the endpoint is clear. The winners and losers are easily identified. In infinite games, like business or politics or life itself, the players come and go, the rules are changeable, and there is no defined endpoint. There are no winners or losers in an infinite game; there is only ahead and behind.
The above is from the introduction to the Infinite Game by Simon Sinek.
If you see golf a finite game where the score matters the most, then foursomes seems to be torture for these players, the score dictates how they feel about the game and they can't figure out their contribution to the score or how they feel about it.
If you see golf as an infinite game, to paraphrase Bagger Vance, a game that can't be won only played, then foursomes is a great game. It's a terrible pity that the card and pencil spirit means we see little of such a great format.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2022, 06:17:49 PM »
Golf is supposed to be a GAME. Unfortunately, we Americans turned it into some sort of test of athletic skill based on the “what did you shoot” mentality. I’ve had some of my most fun playing golf participating in foursomes matches. What difference does it make what “score” you have when your team can squeeze out a win on a hole with a 7? 🤣 You won the the hole!!! What else matters? Then you start all over on the next hole. It’s a brilliant game!!!

At Deal and Gullane we have team matches against other clubs that usually feature a fourball game in the morning, followed by lunch, then a foursomes match in the afternoon. What a glorious day of golf and fellowship. Doesn’t get much better.

In my old age, I have come to the conclusion that team golf is the highest form of the game. Singles golf tends to be “golf masturbation.” 😉
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 06:19:23 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2022, 07:33:38 PM »
Score has nothing to do with me not enjoying foursomes nor is it fear that I or my partner might hit a poor shot. Whenever my partner has hit a shot I think, “Boy, I wish I could have hit it.”
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back