News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Elvins

Re: Pebble Beach
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2022, 05:55:11 PM »
Pebble is wonderful, but it's awe & excellence ends on #10 and doesn't restart until #17.

I would say until after #17
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2022, 06:04:03 PM »
he walked off in the middle of the round.
He went directly to a bar.

Where did he go, downtown Carmel?!
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2022, 01:18:39 AM »
Anyone who doesn’t love 1,2 or 3 thinks they paid too much. Simply better than the first three at Spyglass.
No way I’d take the first three at Pebble over the same at Spyglass and it has nothing to do with money.
Tim Weiman

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2022, 01:45:52 AM »
Anyone who doesn’t love 1,2 or 3 thinks they paid too much. Simply better than the first three at Spyglass.
No way I’d take the first three at Pebble over the same at Spyglass and it has nothing to do with money.

Wow. I believe I may be wrong. I will schedule a revisit post haste for no better reason than to see why.

Rick Sides

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2023, 05:38:39 PM »
Just got off the phone with Pebble.  They now  require 3 night minimum starting at 1,110 a night to assure one round at Pebble and the course is going up to 625 this summer when I will be there.  Then I would ask myself is could I still get on as a single or is a round at Pebble worth over 4 grand? Any thoughts?

Rob Marshall

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2023, 08:00:55 PM »
Just got off the phone with Pebble.  They now  require 3 night minimum starting at 1,110 a night to assure one round at Pebble and the course is going up to 625 this summer when I will be there.  Then I would ask myself is could I still get on as a single or is a round at Pebble worth over 4 grand? Any thoughts?

I still think it's worth doing once but wow, I feel like I got a deal at two nights at lodge, round on Pebble, round on Spyglass, $200 pro shop credit for $2200.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 09:05:52 PM by Rob Marshall »
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2023, 08:07:35 PM »
Sat the 28th you can get one seat to see the Knicks play the Nets for $650. Row 28.

Pebble is courtside.

Rick Sides

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2023, 08:53:22 PM »
John I’m a sixers fan

Craig Sweet

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2023, 09:09:08 PM »
Those prices are ridiculous.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Rick Sides

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2023, 09:26:40 PM »
Yes Craig and that’s a minimum price not included taxes and resort fees . Sounds like they are trying to fleece people anymore … sad

Craig Sweet

« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2023, 07:56:02 PM »
No offense to those that love, and expect ostentation when recreating, it's just a golf course. And probably built on land stolen from the Indians.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2023, 01:44:05 AM »

Rick - only you can decide if that price tag (staggering) is worth it.  If you can afford it, then I'd say do it.  There are few things in golf as great as playing Pebble.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tim Leahy

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2023, 02:23:53 AM »
No offense to those that love, and expect ostentation when recreating, it's just a golf course. And probably built on land stolen from the Indians.
No, it is THE golf course. Nicklaus said if he had one round of golf left to play he would play it at Pebble Beach. Enough said.
And it's Native Americans you racist. :o
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2023, 03:15:36 AM »
You don't have to stay at the Lodge to play Pebble you just can only make reservations 24 hrs in advance if your not a guest.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Sean_A

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2023, 05:45:20 AM »
You don't have to stay at the Lodge to play Pebble you just can only make reservations 24 hrs in advance if your not a guest.

But its a long way to go without a guaranteed tee time if Pebble is The course. I spose its alright to take a punt if in the area and had $600+ burning a hole in your pocket. Doesn't interest me.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

astavrides

« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2023, 07:50:58 AM »
Not worth it to stay there. In the summer, you should be able to get on as a single.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2023, 07:59:46 AM »
If you're on here - you need to play it once.
I've always been paid per day that I work (even when I was an associate).
Back then when I worked an evening or an entire week-end, I put that money aside for something like this.
I've paid three times to play while I was an associate. That's sums up my positive feelings on playing Pebble.

I got more out of that experience than playing any Keiser project course or any of the other US Open sites.
I'm not saying its better than all of them, just the experience was more stirring for me.
It's the familiarity to every aspect of the property and then getting to experience it first-hand.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 11:28:30 AM by Ian Andrew »
-

Kalen Braley

« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2023, 02:23:51 PM »
Put me in the camp of too absurd a green fee as well.  I've walked it twice, got plenty of exhilaration each time.

And Tim, I don't mean this personally but Jack has spewed plenty of bollocks over the years.  I'm not saying he's wrong on this, just that I couldn't care less what his opinion of Pebble is.

Rick Sides

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2023, 03:42:52 PM »
I would love to play it, but it would be risky to drive from San Fran to Monterrey to drive to walk on as a single.  There is no guarantee  about getting on as a single. I would be fine with the lodge making a few extra bucks to have you spend one night there to assure you a tee time at 1,200 minimum a night, but to make you book 3 nights is greedy and terrible.  I feel like the course is not only raising prices, 650 a round, but now making you book extended stays to play golf. Pebble looks nice but Nooooooo course is worth 4,000 a round total.

Peter Flory

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2023, 04:03:02 PM »
Their pricing is weird because they aren't really charging the market rate for each component.  They are co-mingling/ packaging it and then sort of arbitrarily allocating the pricing. 

I think that most people would pay more to play a round at Pebble and not stay in the hotel than they would to stay in the hotel and not play a round at Pebble.  But the pricing doesn't reflect that reality. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2023, 04:51:36 PM »
Pebble looks nice but Nooooooo course is worth 4,000 a round total.

Rick,

I'd gather a guess that many would pay more than that for a round at ANGC...

Rick Sides

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2023, 05:32:08 PM »
Kales good point ! But even having played many of the top 10 courses in the US I still don’t know if I would have paid 4 grand to play a round . Plus Pebble has always prided itself as a public course but at 4000 for a round that’s a months pay for some people

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2023, 05:34:45 PM »
Put me in the camp of too absurd a green fee as well.  I've walked it twice, got plenty of exhilaration each time.

And Tim, I don't mean this personally but Jack has spewed plenty of bollocks over the years.  I'm not saying he's wrong on this, just that I couldn't care less what his opinion of Pebble is.

That explains why you don’t see the greatness of the first hole. You are consumed by the condos because you are jonesing to see the ocean. Why do you waste our time?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2023, 06:43:38 PM »

That explains why you don’t see the greatness of the first hole. You are consumed by the condos because you are jonesing to see the ocean. Why do you waste our time?

Thanks for the laughs Barney in somehow making this about the 1st hole!  ;D

Rob Marshall

« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2023, 10:18:05 AM »
Like I said early in this thread I paid $2200 about 13-14 years ago for a two nights in the lodge and a round on Pebble and Spyglass. After my round at Spyglass we drove into Carmel for lunch before heading to San Fran for the weekend. My father had recently passed and all I wanted to do was call him to tell him about it. I was close to tears in the car. It was almost a spiritual experience for me. If you can afford it do. I can still tell you what club I hit on every shot.

My father was friends with Shelly Hamlin. Shelly was from Fresno and played at Sanford. Wonderful woman with a great personality who would have been a great commentator after she retired from the LPGA. She won the Woman's California Am at Pebble Beach 1967-1970. She told me once the entry fee was something like $25. Nice deal.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 02:03:53 PM by Rob Marshall »
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back