News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DFarron

Re: Pebble Beach
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2022, 07:26:21 PM »
In my opinion there are 3 things all golfers should no matter the cost …..

1 Attend the Masters
2. Play the Old Course
3. Play Pebble

I used to live an hour from Pebble and went there often. I miss it a lot.

On your death bed you will not say “Damn, I spent a grand playing Pebble”

Go and enjoy every minute !

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2022, 07:26:55 PM »
Ian,

What do you mean by “members”?

I'm assuming the Beach and Tennis Club (Yacht Club also), Dukes Club, or the old Spyglass Hill Golf Club that is past its terms of existence.  Now there is also the Spanish Bay Club and a practice membership which gets free golf at Peter Hay (24 hour advance times only).

Max Prokopy

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2022, 09:32:16 PM »
You should play and have a caddie. 

Request my friend Nick Galante, who has been there for years and really cares about Pebble.  I don't get a dime for this so I can honestly say his assistance will really add to your experience, especially if it's your first time. 

Jim Tang

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2022, 09:49:50 PM »

1 Attend the Masters
2. Play the Old Course
3. Play Pebble

I used to live an hour from Pebble and went there often. I miss it a lot.

On your death bed you will not say “Damn, I spent a grand playing Pebble”

Go and enjoy every minute !

These are wise words.

Jim Tang

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2022, 10:03:18 PM »
Love all the feedback! I will be playing as a single and not staying at the lodge.  Any advice how to book it?

Rick, I played it 10 years ago.  At that time the resort set aside one or two days each month where you could book a tee time on PB without staying at the resort.  Reservations let me know what day this would be during the month I was planning on visiting.  Bookings were not allowed until the day before.  The day before I was hoping to play I called the reservation center as soon as it opened and was able to book a tee time as a single for the next day.

Again, this was 10 years ago so I'm not sure if this option is still available.

David_Elvins

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2022, 01:45:06 AM »

1 Attend the Masters
2. Play the Old Course
3. Play Pebble

I think having Pebble Beach on that list is only true for people that have an oversized view of the US Open and it’s history. 

Like others, I have walked it several times but have no particular desire to play it.  Although I wouldn’t recommend against playing it, the gap between the enjoyment from walking vs playing is less than a lot of other courses.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

DFarron

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2022, 06:40:13 AM »

1 Attend the Masters
2. Play the Old Course
3. Play Pebble

I think having Pebble Beach on that list is only true for people that have an oversized view of the US Open and it’s history. 

Like others, I have walked it several times but have no particular desire to play it.  Although I wouldn’t recommend against playing it, the gap between the enjoyment from walking vs playing is less than a lot of other courses.

Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it 😉

Niall C

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2022, 07:47:58 AM »

Let me help you out with some of your typo's;

In my opinion there are 3 2 things all golfers should do no matter the cost …..

1 Attend the Masters Open
2. Play the Old Course
3. Play Pebble

That said, I have played Pebble Beach and enjoyed myself doing so. Just not blown away. However the upside is that I can at least join in on threads like this  ;D

Niall

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2022, 10:45:57 AM »
Ian,

What do you mean by “members”?

I said the exact same thing at the time.
Maybe they are part of the 80 or so guys who invested in the Pebble Beach Trust managed by Clint and Peter Ueberoth and the King I think.

But, I clearly remember their status as "members".

SL_Solow

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2022, 11:31:03 AM »
Been out of pocket for awhile.  First played and then walked with my bride on our honeymoon 44 years ago.  Played several times since.  If you can afford it, play.  The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.  The "weak" holes are diminished in comparison with the spectacular nature of those bordering the ocean.  It is a wonderful experience

David_Tepper

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2022, 02:08:00 PM »
The best day to "walk" Pebble Beach is the Sunday before Thanksgiving, during the final round of the Taylormade Pebble Beach Invitational (Nov. 20 this year). The event is a pro-am that features players from the PGA, Champions, Korn-Ferry and LPGA Tours.

https://www.pebblebeach.com/events/taylormade-pebble-beach-invitational/

Admission is free, parking is free and there are very few spectators. You may even see a few pros carrying their own bags. The only areas roped off are the greens and tee boxes. And, if you know where to look, there are even free hot dogs. ;)

Richard Choi

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2022, 05:11:14 PM »
Pebble is a must for anyone hanging out around here.

I would skip any other course on the property as they are just not worth the price. I would never hire a caddie there again as my experience (as everyone in the group of 12) was absolutely horrific (he walked off in the middle of the round, and we were happy he did).

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2022, 10:43:29 PM »
he walked off in the middle of the round.

Where did he go, downtown Carmel?!

Matt MacIver

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2022, 08:03:06 AM »
I finally got to play PB this summer along with the others at the resort (and Pasa!) and it was the experience I had hoped it would be - don’t miss it!

DFarron

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2022, 11:10:20 AM »

Let me help you out with some of your typo's;

In my opinion there are 3 2 things all golfers should do no matter the cost …..

1 Attend the Masters Open
2. Play the Old Course
3. Play Pebble

That said, I have played Pebble Beach and enjoyed myself doing so. Just not blown away. However the upside is that I can at least join in on threads like this  ;D

Niall

You could be right on attending the Open. My wife and I have been talking about going and doing the camping thing they have available there. Seemed like fun

Bart Bradley

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2022, 07:51:00 PM »
Where else can you go where you know you will spend 1.5 hours in heaven.  From hole 5-10 is the most beautiful, memorable hour and a half in your entire golfing life.  Heaven is a tough ask....that stretch provides it.  Of course it's worth the money for a golf architecture lover.  Go.  You won't look back years later and remember the cost, just the experience.

Bart

Matthew Rose

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2022, 10:10:37 AM »

For me, the inland holes were important - sometimes you just need to catch your breath a little, and play golf. Playing 6-10 the first time was a highly intense and emotional experience.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2022, 03:01:24 PM »

For me, the inland holes were important - sometimes you just need to catch your breath a little, and play golf. Playing 6-10 the first time was a highly intense and emotional experience.

What about 4 and 5?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Kalen Braley

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2022, 03:41:49 PM »

What about 4 and 5?

Chopped liver..  ;D

mike_beene

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2022, 11:25:46 PM »
For those of us of a certain age, 4 gets left out because 5 was such an odd angled uphill par 3. I often forget a small fortune was spent to fix the “5” problem. Adding a longer walk to 6 was worth it.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2022, 11:29:39 PM »
Anyone who doesn’t love 1,2 or 3 thinks they paid too much. Simply better than the first three at Spyglass.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2022, 12:53:55 AM »
There's nothing wrong with 4 and 5.

I admit I'd probably have liked 5 better if I didn't make double :)
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2022, 03:56:48 AM »
Anyone who doesn’t love 1,2 or 3 thinks they paid too much. Simply better than the first three at Spyglass.
1,2 and 3 at Spyglass may be the best first three holes of any course in the world especially if you add 4 & 5.
1,2 and 3 at Pebble are just warm up for the rest. 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2022, 06:24:25 AM »
1,2 and 3 at Spyglass may be the best first three holes of any course in the world especially if you add 4 & 5.

Spyglass?? Hardly...probably not even inside the top 5.

Pine Valley, NGLA, Sand Hills, Oakmont, Prairie Dunes, Ballyneal, Bandon Trails, Streamsong Red, Eastward Ho, Kingsley, ...and I could go on.

Pebble is wonderful, but it's awe & excellence ends on #10 and doesn't restart until #17.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Rob Marshall

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2022, 11:31:59 AM »

View from the 1st tee at Spyglass is one of the best I have ever seen.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back