News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Pebble Beach
« on: October 02, 2022, 09:16:45 PM »
So my wife and I want to do a California coast tour this spring . I have heard so many different opinions good , bad , and indifferent about Pebble Beach. A round at Pebble with fees , caddie, pro shop etc is probably about a grand . For those that played it, is it worth it or do I play other courses in the area for less , half moon bay, etc ? I don’t want to play a course just to say I played it

Tim_Weiman

Re: Pebble Beach
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 10:19:09 PM »
Rick,

I do think Pebble Beach is worth playing, but just to torture you, I’ll mention my first time playing the course (about forty years ago) I paid $60 if I remember correctly. On the other occasions it was always business entertainment and I didn’t even need to think about the cost.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 11:04:22 PM by Tim_Weiman »
Tim Weiman

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 10:24:34 PM »
Play it because it’s one of a kind and a solid 10 on the walk in the park criterion.  By my count there are seven world class holes that are beyond memorable.  A few warts?  Perhaps. But that’s nit-picking in my book. 

Others will likely complain about pace of play to which I respond “where else would you rather be?”

Do it.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 11:05:28 PM »
It is a must play.  Yes it is very expensive, but to hit a tee shot on 7, the approach on 8, and the 18th, plus walking on such iconic historical grounds makes at least one play bucket list+!  In spite of some ill conceived changes to a couple greens, I will pay to play there again in the future with no regrets.

Ian_L

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 11:20:34 PM »
Rick,

I would say absolutely, assuming it’s something you can reasonably afford. Skip the caddie if you want to save a bit of cash, the course is straightforward enough and with the yardage book you will be fine. I have found the caddies to be hit or miss anyway.

It is true that the inland holes are nothing to write home about, but that still leaves 9 holes on the ocean, most of which are spectacular.

Half Moon Bay is fine but not worth going out of the way for in my opinion. It’s better in pictures than real life.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 11:52:23 PM »
Well, as one alternative, I've walked all 18 holes several times on regular resort days and never been stopped or questioned. If it's a nice day you'll wish you were playing, though.

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 12:03:55 AM »
Play it. Whatever anyone thinks of the course, you will have a memorable day. Rather One round at Pebble than four at Spyglass or Half Moon.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 02:05:22 AM »
Well, as one alternative, I've walked all 18 holes several times on regular resort days and never been stopped or questioned. If it's a nice day you'll wish you were playing, though.

I did the same. Find the breakfast room terrace, walk down to the 18th and no one will question you if you stick to the sides. I sometimes recall this with a little smile when someone posts of the benefits of walking holes from green to tee.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 02:56:04 AM »
Play it.  I did so with some friends a few years ago, all of them well travelled golf-wise, and for me and all of them, the day stacked up with anything.  Take a caddy and enjoy yourself.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tim Leahy

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 04:35:09 AM »
I play in the Monterey/Pebble Beach areas at least 2 to 4 times a year for the last 45 years because I can drive there from my home in Sacramento. But even when I lived in SoCal I would drive up and meet friends or my parents there at least twice a year. Best months for weather and low crowds are May and October. June thru Sept you may encounter fog which is playable but limits the spectacular views and cools off the days except between 1 and 5 pm.
I try to play Pebble about every 4 years since the price of a round keeps climing from $40 in 1976 to $475 the last time I played there with an NCGA discount 4 years ago. Didn't take a caddy but got paired up with a twosome who did and he was very helpful to me without my asking.
It was worth every penny and I will be going back next year. If you plan on playing with a 4some or 2some on multiple courses in the area(Spyglass, Spanish Bay and Old Del Monte with seasonal specials at PB) you might want to check out the Dukes Card which is a discount card you purchase but pays for itself twice over in discounts and rewards as well as teetime benefits.
Skip Half-moon Bay and play Pasatiempo or spend more time in Monterey and play Bayonet/Blackhorse, Poppy Hills, and the Poor man's Pebble Beach Pacific Grove Lighthouse.
Even if you don't play there don't miss dinner at Roy's at Spanish Bay at sunset when the bagpipes comes out with spectacular ocean views over the golf course and a great happy hour.
Enjoy! You only live once.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2022, 07:41:32 AM »
It's worth every penny
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Matthew Rose

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2022, 08:45:46 AM »
One of the best days of my life. No regrets.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Steve_Roths

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2022, 08:54:19 AM »
Play it as it will be even more expensive the next time you are in the neighborhood.

Look at what it costs to play Pinehurst 2, Whistling, TPC Sawgrass, etc.  They are all fighting to have the highest price.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2022, 09:04:56 AM »
 Pebble Beach should be played at least once. It is indeed a spectacular course.

Bring a camera and take plenty of pictures so as to never have to feel guilty about paying that egregious a price again. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to take out the camera. Your round will likely be 5+ hours.

The good news is with that long a round your per-hour value will seem far more reasonable.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2022, 09:16:08 AM »
Play it for sure, but not so easy to access unless you are staying at the Lodge.
You cant book a time unless it's within 24-48 hours I think w/o being a guest.

Golf at Half Moon Bay is just OK.
If you are going to pass on Pebble, then do it for Pasatiempo or for "the poor man's Pebble" - Pacific Grove.

I first played it in 1990 for a $75.00 twilight rate after 4:00 pm.... ;D

Paul Jones

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2022, 09:44:34 AM »
If you are on this site, you are more than just an everyday golfer and need to play it.  I played it for a second time with my best friend and it was a day I will never forget.  The money you spend on that memory is worth it (in my humble opinion).
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

MCirba

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2022, 10:45:25 AM »
As others mentioned, I walked most of it after playing down the road that morning.   My friend attended Stanford and used to play it for $25 so he wasn't interested in forking out several bills so we moved on.

If all goes as planned, I'll be there with my wallet next September. 
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2022, 12:48:05 PM »
My all-time favorite course, starting playing it in 1969 and then over 25 years, played it over 100 times, making the trek in the 3rd week of October. There is nothing like #7 and the 2nd shot on 8. The poa is very grainy and even a 2' putt can't be taken for granted.

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

David Kelly

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2022, 01:02:38 PM »
Half Moon Bay will be 1/3 the cost but 1/100th (or less) of the experience.  Play Pebble Beach, you'll never regret it even if pace of play and maintenance can sometimes be maddening.  See if you can be first off and you'll be in golfing heaven as you hit the holes with nobody in front of you.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2022, 03:03:09 PM »
   My philosophy is that I will pay the going rate at pretty much any Doak 9 or 10, but only once.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 10:21:27 PM by Jim_Coleman »

Rick Sides

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2022, 04:48:32 PM »
Love all the feedback! I will be playing as a single and not staying at the lodge.  Any advice how to book it?

astavrides

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2022, 05:05:53 PM »
Love all the feedback! I will be playing as a single and not staying at the lodge.  Any advice how to book it?

Call the pro shop and ask.
I think they told me to call at the end of the day the day before, but that was 9 years ago.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2022, 06:07:54 PM »

I once got out as a single there by just lingering around the pro shop and letting them know that I was in if there was a no-show.

This was mid-90's though.
Buick was having a big sales meeting there and a golf outing. One of the car dealers had too much sauce the night before and he couldnt make it so i filled in as the 4th in their group.

It was hilarious.

Another time i got out as a single and ended up playing with members.
Sadly, this was the day after John Denver had died in a plane crash in Monterrey Bay and these 3 all knew him well.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2022, 06:33:49 PM »

I once got out as a single there by just lingering around the pro shop and letting them know that I was in if there was a no-show.

This was mid-90's though.
Buick was having a big sales meeting there and a golf outing. One of the car dealers had too much sauce the night before and he couldnt make it so i filled in as the 4th in their group.

It was hilarious.

Another time i got out as a single and ended up playing with members.
Sadly, this was the day after John Denver had died in a plane crash in Monterrey Bay and these 3 all knew him well.

There are members at PB?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2022, 06:40:49 PM »
Ian,

What do you mean by “members”?
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back