News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Design feature as entry point
« on: September 26, 2022, 06:05:50 PM »
When I try to explain to my golfing friends who do not think a lot about architecture why I find the field so fascinating, I struggle. I can mention particular courses or concepts such as strategic v. penal, but those are broad topics that are not concrete to them. I wonder if there are design features that they probably have encountered that would be an entry point for a fuller exploration. For my wife, false fronts, speed slots, and recently the Redan have registered with her. That probably is because watching the ball move on the ground is so attention grabbing and concrete.

For me, it was how the bunker at the corner of number 12 at Mid Pines in relation to the angle of the green affected the strategy of the hole. And then it was the 3-5 stretch of quirk at Lahinch that got me hooked.

Other suggestions on what features I should relate to my friends? And yes, I know that most golfers will never really care.

Ira

Ben Hollerbach

Re: Design feature as entry point
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 07:10:04 PM »
In my experience, going to micro too soon will just confuse someone who has not considered architecture before.

My go too is the basic strategy around a hole design players will see in virtually every course they play. A mid length par 4 with a fairway bunker on one side of the landing zone and a corresponding greenside bunker on the opposite side short of the green. This is a good example to discuss how tee shot selections impacts the difficulty of an approach shot. A challenging shot will have to be hit at one point on the hole, as a player you have the choice as to where that shot is played.

Typically after this brief example their mind is a bit more primed to think of strategic intent around a design feature and the cause / effect relationship to architecture.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 07:41:33 PM »
My observations have been that really bouncy turf is the best introduction to architectural features, and their relevance to the game. When the golfer is forced to find a different way to play because of the ground, they start to understand things like contour, bunker placement, etc.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Steve Lang

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2022, 07:49:43 PM »
Grandpa Joe,

You mean like the Par 3's at The Mines?

Ira, I typically start with big view... what's that feature doing there?  Did the designer get paid by the yard, cubic yard or per diem???  Small view discussion only works when one can hit the ball distance and where aimed, so most appropriate for discussing greens first.
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2022, 08:28:11 PM »
Ira -

You might start by discussing 2 or 3 of the holes at Augusta National. Just about any (maybe even every) U.S. golfer has watched the Masters over the years and has some sense of how the holes look and play, especially those on the back-9.

Holes 12 & 13 offer a lot to talk about in terms of their design.

DT 

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022, 08:46:56 PM »
Since these are typically discussions we have while golfing, I usually ask what their two favorite and least favorite holes are on the course we are playing (assuming they've played it before). What do they like about their favorites? What would they change about the ones they don't like. The exchange usually expands from there. Many just think it's too much to think about.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2022, 09:15:27 PM »
Green to next tee walks/other negative space.

If they’re cart riders then get them to consider the walk.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2022, 01:50:17 AM »
In my experience, going to micro too soon will just confuse someone who has not considered architecture before.

My go too is the basic strategy around a hole design players will see in virtually every course they play. A mid length par 4 with a fairway bunker on one side of the landing zone and a corresponding greenside bunker on the opposite side short of the green. This is a good example to discuss how tee shot selections impacts the difficulty of an approach shot. A challenging shot will have to be hit at one point on the hole, as a player you have the choice as to where that shot is played.

Typically after this brief example their mind is a bit more primed to think of strategic intent around a design feature and the cause / effect relationship to architecture.

This is exactly how I introduce the topic.

archie_struthers

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2022, 08:04:39 AM »
 8)
Joe Hancock well said! Ira it's nice to see your partner might be leading the family forward LOL ;D

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2022, 09:04:30 AM »
Bunker placement.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2022, 09:21:48 AM »
8)
Joe Hancock well said! Ira it's nice to see your partner might be leading the family forward LOL ;D

Archie, the wallpaper on her phone is a photo from The Island Club!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back