News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Cronin

Re: President’s Cup
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2022, 08:13:47 PM »
Fun stuff this afternoon.

Yes. It makes Sunday watchable. Not that many in the U.S. will against the NFL, but if you have two TVs or a DVR, you're set.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2022, 08:15:02 PM »
Just like the Detroit Lions. The franchise makes plenty of money, so no reason to change. Not sure income is the measure of success in either case here.
The PGA Tour certainly cares how much money it makes. Many of you here are arguing from the fan's perspective.

Fun stuff this afternoon.
Don't tell anyone here.  ;)
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2022, 09:56:06 AM »
I can’t pinpoint why I don’t care for these team events, but it has something to do with wives and girlfriends running around and maybe this playing for your country stuff. Granted it is not as bad as the War by the Shore. The people who are playing for their country are in the fight of their lives with Russia. This is just a silly golf exhibition.

All the professional tournaments are, in effect, exhibitions.  I put only the true opens and the amateur events in the competition category.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2022, 10:59:59 AM »
If the PGA wants money do a LIV vs PGA Sheik Cup. The Saudi’s would gladly pony up a cool Billion for a 10 yr 5 tournament deal. And who knows, we may be entertained.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2022, 11:41:11 AM »
There is no point except that I found it interesting that the USA does not field very many world-class tennis players.

The last time an American male won a tennis major was 2003 when Agassi win the Australian Open and Roddick won the US Open. More important, it was also the year Federer won his first. The only non-European to win one since was Del Potro at the US Open. Hence Europe v The World makes total sense.
Next!

DFarron

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2022, 03:02:08 PM »
The President’s Cup is another meaningless, silly season money grab for all
[size=78%]involved.[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]When will the PGA Tour learn that golf needs a break from Labor Day to New Year’s Day ?[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%] [/size]

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2022, 04:40:40 PM »
I guess I look at the Cup competitions a little differently. I’m somewhat interested in which team wins but I just enjoy watching each match. There are always some good ones.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Rob Marshall

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2022, 05:44:50 PM »
I didn’t watch a lot with the Bills playing outcome is what was expected.

I just wish JT would play great golf without making a big deal about not being given a putt. He comes off as a whiny brat. Zinger said he never had a problem not being given a putt. You’re a great player, a multiple major winner. Just knock it in. You think Arnie or Jack would act that way when not given a putt? It’s something I would expect Sergio to do. Show some class.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Carl Rogers

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2022, 05:59:41 PM »
2 suggestions
- singles should have shotgun start.  Matches would end at approx the same time
- dissolve both Ryder & Pres Cup.  Have a Western Hemisphere vs Everyone else match.  Format requires all to play all sessions.  Match would be every 4 years on non Olympic years.

Never happen...
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Craig Sweet

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2022, 07:24:36 PM »
Just a thought, but I think this tournament would be better if the two teams and their captains parachuted in on opening day!  This could be followed by a long drive contest and a skills challenge!  The winners would get points for their team.  If the matches result in a tie, the two captains jump into the "squared circle" and hold a best out of three falls, no holds barred.

LOCK HIM UP!!!

Anthony Butler

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2022, 11:42:21 AM »
I find it interesting that while The President's Cup is USA VS world, minus Europe and the Ryder Cup is USA VS Europe, minus the rest of the world, The Laver Cup is Europe VS the entire world. There is no point except that I found it interesting that the USA does not field very many world-class tennis players.
Since Agassi won the Australia Open in 2003, exactly three non-Europeans have won a men's tennis major out of the last 79 played.. 2003 US Open (Roddick - US) 2004 French Open (Gaston Gaudio - Argentina) and the 2009 US Open (del Potro - Argentina).

There's a number of good US & Australian players, but they will have to stick around for another couple years until age catches up with Nadal and Djokovic to make a dent in the majors. To that point, Nadal looked like he might be near the end at the Laver Cup over the weekend. Hard to see him winning anything except another French Open (yawn)
Next!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2022, 12:04:56 PM »
I find it interesting that while The President's Cup is USA VS world, minus Europe and the Ryder Cup is USA VS Europe, minus the rest of the world, The Laver Cup is Europe VS the entire world. There is no point except that I found it interesting that the USA does not field very many world-class tennis players.
Since Agassi won the Australia Open in 2003, exactly three non-Europeans have won a men's tennis major out of the last 79 played.. 2003 US Open (Roddick - US) 2004 French Open (Gaston Gaudio - Argentina) and the 2009 US Open (del Potro - Argentina).

There's a number of good US & Australian players, but they will have to stick around for another couple years until age catches up with Nadal and Djokovic to make a dent in the majors. To that point, Nadal looked like he might be near the end at the Laver Cup over the weekend. Hard to see him winning anything except another French Open (yawn)
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2022, 12:21:50 PM »
I thought the President's Cup was LIV for a second there. The belly dude just needed a LIV hat to set off the photo.

To me, the President's Cup is a fake Ryder Cup event.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 12:28:27 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2022, 02:37:23 PM »
I thought the President's Cup was LIV for a second there. The belly dude just needed a LIV hat to set off the photo.

To me, the President's Cup is a fake Ryder Cup event.

I fall for things but that must be an edited picture. Now I can't unsee it.
St. John of the Cross

David Kelly

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2022, 05:44:00 PM »
Eliminate the captains.  Pick the teams by points and appoint a playing captain to be in charge. 
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2022, 10:57:51 AM »
Regardless if it becomes the next evolution of the President's Cup, or a new standalone event, a mixed Cup would be a fantastic edition to the golf landscape. I could envision an event where day one would have Women's Fourball and Men's Foresomes, day 2 would be Men's Fourball and Women's Foresomes, Day 3 Mixed Foresomes and Mixed Fourball, and finally day 4 is singles (MvM & WvW).
We have enough recent examples of mixed professional events, concurrent professional events, and professional events in sequence that I would not be concerned about a course being setup well for both groups. In actuality, an event like this may tap into a classification of courses that has been bypassed by the Men's tour. Leading to a place like Cypress Point potentially being an idea venue.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back