News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

I love English golf.
« on: September 21, 2022, 07:28:21 PM »
I played
  Swinley , Southport and Ainsdale, Wallasey, Royal Lytham, Formby and Hillside in one day, Royal Liverpool, West Lancs, both courses at Woodhall Spa with the main one twice, and Hollinwell.

I will leave the Bracken course at Woodhall Spa out of my statements because I was sick and I took a single buggy which was designed to dissuade anyone from taking a buggy.

Rather than ranking the courses I will say that all were enjoyable but West Lancs was my personal favorite. It was in the best shape and had the subtlety I like but with challenging greens.

Of course there is also the other things about a trip like this that matter.

1) The incredibly hospitable UK gca guys top the list.
2) Southport and Woodhall were good places to stay.
3) The Brits and their dogs impress me all of the time.
4) The weather is great for golf in the 50/60’s. The occasional rain is welcome but the steady variety we saw at Wallasey is too much if it goes for a few days which thankfully it didn’t.

Southport and Ainsdale was simple with an occasional explosion of quirk.

Wallasey had a great finishing green and was fine but rainy.

Royal Lytham gave the same feel  I had at Muirfield of championship quality. I hear they took out 50 bunkers. I didn’t think the bunkers were outrageous.

Formby had a stretch in the trees that was quite fun. I liked the variety.

Hillside was solid. I thought all the talk about the back must come from those who never saw Irish dunes.

Royal Liverpool was already preparing for the Open so the greens were slow. The course was sublime.

West Lancs called itself the Real Links. I like that attitude. The course charmed me.

We missed Royal West Norfolk as I went through the British health system (satisfactorily I might add). I ended up with a doctor who asked why I was there and then we talked golf architecture for ten minutes and sinus infection for two.

The Hotchkin course was a little much the first time around but after Richard Latham’s informative talk at dinner the second time was much better.

Ended at Hollinwell with James Boon as our host who gave us a great education. I loved the middle of the course.

I hope to return next year if only for the quirky Painswick.

It gets tougher each year with age and some additional health considerations but I’ll try.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 07:41:58 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Philip Caccamise

Re: I love English golf.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 11:37:29 PM »
Mike-
ME TOO. English golf has a simple, understated beauty to it. I'm doing a similar trip in a few weeks-
Sunday 10/2 Formby Ladies
Monday Southport & Ainsdale
Tuesday Formby
Wednesday Royal Birkdale
Thursday Woodhall Spa
Friday Ganton

First travels since reinjuring my back in Scotland and 5,000 hours of physical therapy later. I'm excited to say the least.

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 04:32:56 AM »
Philip,

Good luck. The architecture is compelling.
It was our 2020 trip plan that had Birkdale  and Formby Ladies. We wanted both but it didn’t work out.

I wondered if Southport is a top three destination for a week of golf.

Delays for physical problems make the trip that much more satisfying.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 04:46:45 AM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Dan Boerger

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 07:08:55 AM »
Agree with you Mike! And -- after spending time in the Adirondack Mountains this Spring -- there are no bugs to deal with on those English courses. Another benefit.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 08:50:28 AM »
Agree with you Mike! And -- after spending time in the Adirondack Mountains this Spring -- there are no bugs to deal with on those English courses. Another benefit.

Dan,

You suggested St.George’s Hill to me years ago. I loved it.
AKA Mayday

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2022, 11:49:11 AM »
England is my favorite place for golf. It has links, heath, and parkland. It has many top 100 courses, but there are also some sleepers like Delamere Forest, Whittington Heath, and Reddish Vale. You can't go wrong there.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2022, 09:31:14 PM »
Philip,

Good luck. The architecture is compelling.
It was our 2020 trip plan that had Birkdale  and Formby Ladies. We wanted both but it didn’t work out.

I wondered if Southport is a top three destination for a week of golf.

Delays for physical problems make the trip that much more satisfying.

Thank you Mike!

In researching this trip, I would have to agree with you. I could have booked another two weeks of spectacular golf, no problem. Within an hour's drive there's 3 Open rota courses, 10-15 more with significant architectural interest, and another set of lesser names that look quite playable as well. Amazing!

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2022, 10:48:46 PM »
I played from Hoylake to Lytham-St. Anne's in 1985. I think that stretch of coastline could have the best collection of links golf in GB&I. East Lothian out to Dunbar is the only place that comes close.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2022, 03:16:11 AM »
There's also some great golf in the South East of England at Deal, St Georges, Rye, and Littlestone. Totally agree with the love for English golf.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2022, 09:21:36 PM »

Played all but two of those Mike. Love them all.  Anyone here ever played Sheringham Golf Club?  Curious what they think? 

Steve Lang

Re: I love English golf. and Golfers Encountered
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2022, 09:47:16 PM »
 8)  Can only comment on Ganton and Reddish Vale...  but the folks encountered were great to this Yank

Enjoyed engaging with the pro at Ganton as we created a rental set of sticks for me and touring the clubhouse..

and Duncan Cheslett was a great host at Reddish Vale, bringing in sunshine, high winds, rain, and sunshine for the full experience !
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2022, 12:39:26 PM »
They have also cut prices for Americans by about 21% in the last six months as the GBP is approaching parity with the USD.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2022, 02:07:02 PM »
Reviewing the courses mentioned in this thread is interesting as one or two apart they don’t at least in my eye represent English golf as a whole where the huge majority of courses are parklands on clay soli with fairways bordered by row upon row of trees. As to the dogs on courses position, I’m far from convinced that it’s as prevalent as some might be inclined to think, far, far from it in fact.
Atb

Brian Finn

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2022, 05:27:54 PM »
The more I travel overseas, the more impressed I am with English golf.  Having explored portions of Kent, Surrey / Berkshire, the Cotswolds, Cheshire / Lancashire, Cornwall / Devon / Somerset, and even a little bit of Northumberland, I can safely say it is my favorite country to visit (for golf and other pursuits).  Everywhere I have been, I have felt welcomed.  The people are great.  The golf is clearly great.  And unlike many other parts of the UK & Ireland, England rarely seems overrun with American visitors.  I hope to start spending progressively greater amounts of time in England in the coming years.
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2022, 02:17:00 AM »

Played all but two of those Mike. Love them all.  Anyone here ever played Sheringham Golf Club?  Curious what they think?

Sheringham is pretty good. A few outstanding holes, but the greens are of little interest. I don't think it's worth extra night to see nor should Brancaster or Hunstanton be skipped in its favour.

English golf is superior to the other home nations, but that shouldn't be surprising as it has a load more courses.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 02:23:14 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back