News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Marshall

Davis and Mark Love courses
« on: September 20, 2022, 08:04:42 AM »
I've never played a course designed by Davis and Mark Love. What is their design philosophy? Memorable courses?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Max Prokopy

Re: Davis and Mark Love courses
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 02:30:37 PM »
They recently completed an overhaul of the UVa course in Charlottesville.  I thought they did a pretty good job with a tumbling piece of land with heavy soils.  This is a track that has to keep up with a D-1 golf team and also serve the local resort/faculty/students. 

There were some routing decisions I would personally rethink but the size and variety of hazards was welcome.  Some greens had a lot of interior contours where others kept a general pitch with the land, so the course did not seem too forced into the property.  Each nine had a reasonable variety of approach shots in terms of distance and uphill/downhill. 

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Rob Marshall

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 03:19:56 PM »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 08:50:53 PM »
I’ve played a number of Love courses, both original designs like Kinderlou Forest, and renovations like Forest Oaks.  I’ve liked them all, especially the greens, which are very imaginative and demanding without being over the top.

Are you by chance asking asking this because of the upcoming Love work at UNC Finley?
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Rob Marshall

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 10:18:02 AM »
I’ve played a number of Love courses, both original designs like Kinderlou Forest, and renovations like Forest Oaks.  I’ve liked them all, especially the greens, which are very imaginative and demanding without being over the top.

Are you by chance asking asking this because of the upcoming Love work at UNC Finley?

No, just heard an interview and he was talking about their design work.

John Blain

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 10:53:47 AM »
Rob-
There is a course in Altamomt, NY (just west of Albany) called Orchard Creek GC. It's a public course done by Davis Love's company. The architect was Paul Crowley. It is a really good course with lots of interesting holes and an easy walk. It opened in 1999.
I went there site unseen to qualify for the 2000 NYSGA Mid Am and was impressed. If you are ever in Albany looking for a decent place to play you could do a lot worse.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 07:02:28 PM »
A couple of months ago I was able to play The Nest in Charlottesville. I loved it.

Photos:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/TheNestPar3/index.html
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 07:08:49 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Rob Marshall

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 07:52:29 PM »
Rob-
There is a course in Altamomt, NY (just west of Albany) called Orchard Creek GC. It's a public course done by Davis Love's company. The architect was Paul Crowley. It is a really good course with lots of interesting holes and an easy walk. It opened in 1999.
I went there site unseen to qualify for the 2000 NYSGA Mid Am and was impressed. If you are ever in Albany looking for a decent place to play you could do a lot worse.

Thanks John

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2022, 09:49:25 AM »
I too played Riverhall in Florida without any idea it was a Love course. It was OK for a housing development course. Kinderlou Forest was decent enough as well, better than Riverhall.

I believe that Love redid Brunswick CC, a super flat Donald Ross course with some nice, restored green complexes.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 08:39:42 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Last 5:
Bobby Jones (FL) Arcadia Municipal (FL) Eisenhower Lakes (GA) Augusta Municipal (GA) Foresthills GC (GA)

Matt MacIver

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2022, 08:18:32 AM »
They renovated and rebranded Kannapolis CC to Irish Creek CC in north Charlotte some 15~ years back with some added land and it’s a nice course and layout.

SB

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2022, 04:13:45 PM »
I've played about 6 or so of their courses.  Most were public or resort courses, and were generally interesting but forgiving off the tee, while the greens had more slope than most but not overly crazy bunkering.  They are a more strategic than most architects.  Both are great guys to work with.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back