News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Bandon Poll
« on: December 05, 2022, 08:10:52 PM »
No agenda, just thought data on people's favorite and least favorite courses at the resort would be interesting. This will take you about 10 seconds.

Link to poll

Please use the link above. Posting your answer as a reply to this thread will not be useful. :)

Tom_Doak

Re: Bandon Poll
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 08:24:23 PM »
It is, of course, all a matter of opinion.  But I would note that the rankings ask what one thinks is the “best” course, not which is your personal favorite, so I wouldn’t expect the results to correlate exactly.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 12:23:45 AM »
Favourite = Pacific Dunes
Least Favourite = Bandon Dunes

Qualifier = I have not seen Sheep Ranch or Preserve

MCirba

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 10:16:32 AM »
For the record, I voted Old Mac and Bandon Dunes in that order.

I'm confident it's a minority opinion.   ;D
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Ira Fishman

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2022, 10:32:51 AM »
If the bonus question were does Preserve produce the most joy and laughter, my answer would be 100% yes.

Jon Heise

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 11:11:28 AM »
My favorite is the one that I'm currently on.  Easy.
I still like Greywalls better.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 12:02:53 PM »
With 70 replies...

Favorite:
Pacific Dunes 55%
Old Mac 20%
Bandon Trails 19%
Bandon Dunes 4%
Sheep Ranch 1%

Least Favorite:
Sheep Ranch 29%
Bandon Dunes 29%
Pacific Dunes 16%
Old Mac 16%
Bandon Trails 9%

20% said that Bandon Preserve was their least favorite overall, while 1% said it was their favorite overall.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 12:06:31 PM by Matt_Cohn »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 12:17:28 PM »
If the bonus question were does Preserve produce the most joy and laughter, my answer would be 100% yes.

Yeah, but that's kind of a loaded question.  People have a different attitude when they are playing a few holes in a six-some, with beers in hand, and not keeping score.  There is joy and laughter to be had on any of the other courses if you go into them with the same attitude.

However, two things of note:

1.  Joy and laughter do not seem to correlate with 300-yard drives and long walks in between shots, it's more about the short game, and

2.  For many people, keeping score ruins the fun.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 12:29:06 PM »
Tom,

Absolutely an intentionally loaded question. And I agree with your deconstruction except I almost never keep score on any course.

Preserve is a blast, beer or no beer.

Ira

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2022, 07:29:52 AM »
Agree Preserve is a blast.  As is Wine Valley and the pair at Silves.  Hixson may not be getting the due he deserves.  Can't wait to see Bar Run.  Will be on my "to see" list when visiting Bandon next summer.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2022, 08:52:21 AM »
Agree Preserve is a blast.  As is Wine Valley and the pair at Silves.  Hixson may not be getting the due he deserves.  Can't wait to see Bar Run.  Will be on my "to see" list when visiting Bandon next summer.

I think you confused the Preserve with Bandon Crossings?

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022, 09:54:24 AM »
I am not surprised with Pacific Dunes being at the tope  Pacific Dunes is outstanding and the 4 hole stretch from 9-12 is simply amazing.  The 6th hole is a personal favorite as I love the massive bunker in front of the green on that shorty hole.  I also love #17 although it does not setup well for my slice if the pin is far left:)

Overall I would say that Pacific Dunes is the best Doak course I have every played when comparing to Lost Dunes, Black Forest, Streamsong Blue, The Loop, and High Pointe.  My second favorite would def have to be Streamsong Blue :)  Hopefully Doak builds another course near Kalamazoo Michigan before he retires :)  I do like Stoatin Brae but I want something 100% Doak closer to my home so make it happen Tom!
"Pure Michigan"

Peter Flory

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2022, 01:53:26 PM »
I've had some of the most fun and most memorable rounds of my life at OM in the wind.  It may be my favorite modern course anywhere.

And although it was an homage to CBM in concept, I really view it as a unique expression. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2022, 11:45:42 PM »
I'm not certain that there is worth in a poll like this. Actually, I am certain that there is no worth in a poll like this. Each of these golf courses is a superb expression of wonderful design, collaboration, and execution. Nothing was sacrificed in the development of each. Favorite status changes each time you play a sequence, and often, it is influenced by irrelevant factors (unless that's what we are after.)

I'm certain that folks who played the original Sheep Ranch, have an opportunity to consider the new Sheep Ranch in ways that others do not. That certainly influences opinion.

I missed playing the original by a week in 2015. As I recall, the course/playground traditionally "opened" on November 1st, and we were away to the north by then.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tim Martin

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2022, 07:06:47 AM »
I'm not certain that there is worth in a poll like this. Actually, I am certain that there is no worth in a poll like this. Each of these golf courses is a superb expression of wonderful design, collaboration, and execution. Nothing was sacrificed in the development of each. Favorite status changes each time you play a sequence, and often, it is influenced by irrelevant factors (unless that's what we are after.)

I'm certain that folks who played the original Sheep Ranch, have an opportunity to consider the new Sheep Ranch in ways that others do not. That certainly influences opinion.

I missed playing the original by a week in 2015. As I recall, the course/playground traditionally "opened" on November 1st, and we were away to the north by then.

On a forum that ranks/rates virtually everything to do with golf courses and golf course architecture what is the downside in having members express their opinions in the form of a vote on the courses at Bandon? I’ve found it interesting to read the comments describing what factors enter into such a decision and hope the thread continues to roll out.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back