News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Fisher

Golf between Carlisle and Edinburgh??
« on: September 17, 2022, 06:23:56 AM »
Any particular recommendations for a place to play en route? Next Monday I am driving from just north of Carlisle to Edinburgh and only have to reach the Scottish capital by 5pm.  Up to 10 miles off the direct route would work, I guess. Any thoughts from the usual suspects much appreciated.

Sean_A

Re: Golf between Carlisle and Edinburgh??
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 07:26:30 AM »
Any particular recommendations for a place to play en route? Next Monday I am driving from just north of Carlisle to Edinburgh and only have to reach the Scottish capital by 5pm.  Up to 10 miles off the direct route would work, I guess. Any thoughts from the usual suspects much appreciated.

Not played it, but Roxburghe may work.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

James Reader

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2022, 10:12:18 AM »
Lanark is a bit further out of your way but is well worth a detour.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2022, 04:08:38 PM »
I've not been but Peebles is a Colt course that I would quite like to see.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Michael Moore

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2022, 05:59:04 PM »
Peebs
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

JJShanley

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2022, 07:09:09 PM »
I quite enjoyed West Linton when I played it in an open this summer. A playing partner that day played out of Peebles and that also seems interesting as several people have said.

Richard Fisher

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2022, 11:34:20 AM »
Many thanks to all. I'll investigate Peebles and Lanark a bit further.

That said, it is also quite tempting to drive around the south of Edinburgh, hit the coast near Gullane and take my chances there...

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 11:42:17 AM »
Richard

I assume that you are staying over in Carlisle on the way up ?

If so you may want to start the day with a game at Carlisle GC. I haven't played for several years but I always enjoyed it when I played there. Laid out in 1936 by Dr MacKenzies brother Charles with input by Theodore Moone. MacKenzie Ross later did some revisions (according to the club website) and I think also Pennink/CK Cotton (not on the club website). From memory there aren't any real clunkers and a lot of very good holes, in particular a short par 3 which I really liked.

A few miles to the east of Carlisle GC is Brampton GC which is a Braid course. Good fun but also a bit up and down. If you are going to be playing a good bit of golf on the trip I'd opt for Carlise to save the legs and because it is basically a better course.

If you are then travelling north up the M74 before you cut across country at the A702 you have several courses "just off" the motorway. Lockerbie which I haven't played and not really heard anything about, Moffat which I also haven't played but have been reliably informed is an ideal course if you have one leg shorter than the other and like hill walking, and Lochmaben which I have played. Originally a 9 hole Braid course it has been extended to 18 holes producing two distinct nines. I played it a couple of times a number of years ago and I quite enjoyed it from what I remember.

Once you cut across country on the A702 the only course I've played is Biggar, which is the home course of Alfie and Harry Ward. It's largely a David Adams course from 1922 and is fairly inoffensive but nothing to write home about from what I recall. 

Niall

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 05:05:36 PM »
I'm a little late to the party here, but here goes a ranking of courses in interest within 10 or so mins of the main routes from Carlisle to Edinburgh:

1. Lanark

2. Peebles
3. Carnwath
4. Moffat
5. Glencorse

6. Leadhills (on a beautiful day)
7. Selkirk

8. Galashiels
9. Newbattle
10. Hawick
11. Lochmaben
12. Broomieknowe
13. Innerleithen

14. St Boswells
15. Melrose
16. Biggar
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 05:07:13 PM by Clyde Johnson »

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2022, 08:42:49 AM »
Richard

Which course did you pick in the end and what did you think about it ?

Niall

Richard Fisher

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2022, 01:33:17 PM »
Niall (and others)
Many thanks indeed. Sadly family crisis overtook me and in the end I went direct from Cambridge to Edinburgh by train. Lots to ponder in the chain though, and clearly Lanark (where ironically some of my Gogs friends in Cambridge used to play) is well worth a visit. I like moorland golf (see e.g. Appleby - very good fun indeed).
Anyway to be pursued in 2023 - I think my ‘away’ frolics are now finished for 2022!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2022, 02:16:01 PM »
I am absolutely DESPERATE to play Lanark. The photos I have seen are totally mesmerising.
I grew up about fifteen miles from it, but never ventured over.
Count me in for next year, please!
Cheers,
F.

PS I just checked their website. It’s 30quid a round from Nov 1st. Anyone interested?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 02:18:52 PM by Marty Bonnar »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Michael Graham

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2022, 04:51:13 PM »
I am absolutely DESPERATE to play Lanark. The photos I have seen are totally mesmerising.
I grew up about fifteen miles from it, but never ventured over.
Count me in for next year, please!
Cheers,
F.

PS I just checked their website. It’s 30quid a round from Nov 1st. Anyone interested?

Marty,

Despite talking about it for seemingly years, I’ve still not played Lanark. Count me in for a visit, whether it’s the tail end of this year or into next. Perhaps one to dust off a long dormant clan gathering?

Niall C

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2022, 04:57:44 PM »
FBD

Have you any idea how exposed it can get around there in the middle of winter ? It's 5 layers of clothing guaranteed !

So when are we playing ?

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back