News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Jerry Mathews Passes
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 11:03:57 PM »
I met him at Grand Haven Golf Club many many years ago. His family loved Michigan and Michigan golf. Good on ya Jerry.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2022, 08:13:06 PM »
I met him at Grand Haven Golf Club many many years ago. His family loved Michigan and Michigan golf. Good on ya Jerry.

I never met him, but, I have played most of his well received courses in Michigan:

Elk Ridge (Atlanta, MI)
A-Game-ng -Sundance (Torch Lake,MI)
Hunter’s Ridge (Howell, MI)
The Majestic (Hartland, MI)
Hawk Hollow (Lansing, MI)
Timber Ridge (East Lansing, MI)

The only course of his that is a highly rated public course in Michigan that I have not played is Timberstone.  I am not sure about the obit and the courses he did especially the out of state courses as I can think of only 5 to 6 that I know of that are not in Michigan.

His courses were usually good, but not great, used the land well, and he built better greens than his father.

Chris

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 04:52:39 PM »
At one time Grand Haven GC was in the top 100 public. Times were different, and tree lined tight courses were highly thought of.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 05:23:23 PM »
At one time Grand Haven GC was in the top 100 public. Times were different, and tree lined tight courses were highly thought of.

Bruce Matthews, Sr designed Grand Haven. (Now American Dunes) He also designed LE Kaufman, one of the best munis in the state with great conditioning.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

JLahrman

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 09:32:08 AM »

Bruce Matthews, Sr designed Grand Haven. (Now American Dunes) He also designed LE Kaufman, one of the best munis in the state with great conditioning.

I'm assuming you mean the Grand Rapids muni (I'm actually not sure if it's Grand Rapids or Kent County who runs it). I'm hoping to sneak out there someday soon.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 11:13:18 AM »

I'm assuming you mean the Grand Rapids muni (I'm actually not sure if it's Grand Rapids or Kent County who runs it). I'm hoping to sneak out there someday soon.

LE Kaufman is located in Wyoming/Kent County. Formally called Palmer Park.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

JLahrman

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 11:23:12 AM »
OK great, that's the one. As a recent transplant to Grand Rapids I was hoping to make this my next stop, with your recommendation I'll double my effort...

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2022, 10:47:48 AM »
Jerry was a talented and kind man. A true gentleman who was warm and friendly to all he came across. It was particularly fitting (not sure of a better word) that he passed away just minutes after being honored at a club with many members standing in ovation to his work and lifetime achievements. Bruce, his nephew, told me that Jerry was "in his glory" having just been honored, and simply slumped over and never recovered. As Bruce commented, "There is probably no better way to go than to have been honored and praised just moments before your time has come..."

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2022, 06:50:01 PM »

No we mean Grand Haven. It was long a staple in the area.
St. John of the Cross

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2022, 07:10:00 PM »
Jerry was a talented and kind man. A true gentleman who was warm and friendly to all he came across. It was particularly fitting (not sure of a better word) that he passed away just minutes after being honored at a club with many members standing in ovation to his work and lifetime achievements. Bruce, his nephew, told me that Jerry was "in his glory" having just been honored, and simply slumped over and never recovered. As Bruce commented, "There is probably no better way to go than to have been honored and praised just moments before your time has come..."

That is so cool.
usually you don't hear things like that about someone until the eulogy.
Nice he could hear it on this side.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Buck Wolter

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2022, 12:31:55 PM »
I played Mistwood in Lake Ann Michigan (w/Ray Hearn) many times ~20 years ago and always enjoyed it. Seems like a good reason to get back out there.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

JLahrman

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2022, 05:38:28 PM »

No we mean Grand Haven. It was long a staple in the area.

Sorry Tommy I was referring to Kaufman not Grand Haven, there were two courses mentioned.

Speaking of, I had the day off work Monday and tried to walk on over at Kaufman. Unfortunately I couldn't get out, there is a standing group of retired guys who have a block of tee times every day and they all showed up.

But wow did the several holes I could see from the clubhouse area look interesting. I can't wait to get back there and play the course. The day wasn't a total waste as I went over to Indian Springs and played nine holes, but this thread really piqued my interest in Kaufman.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I have never seen much about Kaufman on this site.

JLahrman

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2022, 01:40:16 PM »

I was finally able to get to Kaufman today, on probably the last good golf weather day we'll have in these parts for awhile.

I LOVED Kaufman. Even though the course is starting to get into its long underwear for winter, it was in great shape. The greens were fun and rolling nice, it was in great condition for this time of year, and the course was really walkable. And I paid...$28 to walk, which included a pull cart rental.

That will not be my last round at Kaufman!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back