News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Next tee to previous green
« on: September 16, 2022, 03:51:15 PM »
As time goes bye the walk from a green back, seemingly always back, to the next tee appears to get ever longer.

Seems like some of the walks back are now so lengthy that they could even be played as short par-3’s.
Eg back tee of the 17th at TOC over the wall to the 16th green.
Other examples?
Atb

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Next tee to previous green
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 04:20:03 PM »
Wait til everyone sees the long walk from 12 green to the new 13th tee at Augusta.

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/color]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 04:27:07 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 04:25:34 PM »
Are you including walk backs to holes playing in the opposite direction as well as ones going in the same direction?

Do you differentiate? Which do you dislike more?

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 09:58:42 PM »
Doesn't  that depend on the tees that you are playing?  The examples of ANGC #13 or TOC #17 are only for the tour pros.  For us mere mortals there is no walk back - like the close proximity of ANGC 12 green to 13 members tee.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2022, 02:58:56 AM »
For discussion purposes any tee where you have to walk back to play the next hole.
The ANGC 13th-12th example posted by Tommy above would be a cracking hole either as a wee dog or with some trees removed.
atb

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2022, 03:48:53 AM »
For some reason, I tend to dislike walk backs more so on holes playing directly back in the same direction that you just came. Partly it’s because I feel that side by side holes are not taking you to a new part of the property and in themselves aren’t moving the journey on. So the walk back just compounds that.

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2022, 04:41:45 AM »
As time goes bye the walk from a green back, seemingly always back, to the next tee appears to get ever longer.

Seems like some of the walks back are now so lengthy that they could even be played as short par-3’s.
Other examples?
Atb

You know me David, I am usually quite happy to play the tee closest to the previous green unless there is a compelling reason not to do so. I don't consider putting daily cards in for handicap purposes compelling. I play few comps so that is a rarely compelling reason. I am not too fussed about the "view" so that is not often a compelling reason. Sometimes there is a more interesting tee which makes the hole better. I can go along with a bit of a walk a few times a round for this reason. Unfortunately, the overwhelming reason for walks is to add yards rather than interest.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2022, 05:01:42 AM »
I - and we - have said it a million times but on a 4 tee course, I try and put the middle two sets as close to the previous green as possible. Often the land dictates that this can’t - or even shouldn’t - be done but it’s a starting goal.

Funnily enough, at Strandhill I’m in the process of removing the third tees closest to the second green because they are so unsafe that groups have to wait for the following group to play from the 2nd tee (par-3) before stepping back on to the third. I can either walk back to the 400 yard tees or create a bland hole from 265 yards. Given Strandhill’s overall lack of length, I choose the former.

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 03:44:46 AM »
I recently played Erewash Valley and The Welcombe. Both have a few very good holes, especially The Welcombe due to some dynamic land. Both feature some long green to tee walks which effectively spoil the rounds to some degree. Most irritating, both had a few long walks which then featured a walk back to our tee of the day. I can't be bothered with cart mentality routings in a largely walking culture.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

James Reader

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 06:34:50 AM »

Other examples?
Atb

Not sure that’s a great example; it’s less than 20 yards from the edge of the green to that tee. The championship 14th tee in contrast must be close to 150 yards from the 13th green.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 09:00:59 AM »
Whilst routing a course we try to get the most popular tee closest to the green before as possible. The tees are now spread out more so that the course accommodates as many golfers of differing skill levels than ever before. This has led to more back tees to be a further walk 'back' generally however on the positive side golfers can see what's ahead closer prior to walking back to the back tee.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2022, 09:15:57 AM »
   When playing 7,8 and 9 at Galloway National, you walk the 8th hole 4 times. Playing 7, you walk it from green to tee. Then you play hole from tee to green. Then you walk from green to tee to get to #9 tee. Then you walk from tee to green to play #9.
   Routing genius, brought to you by Fazio!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2022, 04:08:25 PM »
Thomas you pick a poor example in the 17th on the Old Course. The back tee on 17 is level with the front of the 16th green and less than 15 paces away.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back