News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Johnson

President's Cup Hole Sequence at Quail Hollow
« on: September 16, 2022, 12:10:02 PM »
https://www.presidentscup.com/content/dam/presidentscup/tournament-site/plan-your-visit/2022/PRE-2022-CourseMap-FINAL.pdf

To bring the "Green Mile" (holes 16-18) more likely into match play those holes are now 13-15.  Holes 1-8 remain the same, then 12 to 18 become 9 to 15, and finally 10, 11, 9 become 16, 17, 18.  I think I have that right.  The club is just about outside my back door now, but I will attend only through the magic of TV.  Local golf fans are excited.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: President's Cup Hole Sequence at Quail Hollow
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 04:32:38 PM »
I normally do not like it when the hole sequence is disrupted, but moving the green mile three holes earlier will create excitement as the inevitable car wrecks happen.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Carl Johnson

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 07:31:30 PM »
Tommy, that's the idea, as I understand it.  Showtime!

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 09:53:03 AM »
I think it will really improve the flow of the course from a match-play perspective. Once golfers walk off the 6th green, they'll play particularly volatile holes at:

7 - reachable 5
8 - short/reachable 4
11 (normal 14) - short/reachable 4
12 (normal 15) - reachable 5
13 (normal 16) - potentially very hard 4
14 (normal 17) - lots-of-water par 3
15 (normal 18) - one of the hardest par 4s on the PGA Tour

I reckon some players will go from 2 or 3 down to 2 or 3 up in this stretch, and vice versa. Should be fun if the weather cooperates and the place can be firm and fast.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 12:06:45 PM »
The same thing was done when the PGA matchplay & President's Cup were held at Harding Park in San Francisco. The routing was changed to move up holes 16-17-18 earlier into the back-9. They are the more dramatic and most photogenic holes on the course.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 10:42:26 PM »
Regarding course conditions (from my home near QH in Charlotte).  I heard one of the players interviewed on TV today (may have been Spieth) saying the course was not firm and fast now, which he hoped it would become.  It's been dry here recently and so that surprises me a little.  Maybe they aren't cutting the fairways tight.  He also said that the rough, which is Bermuda, wasn't bad.  Of course, by Thurs. it could be getting worse.  At this time of year the Bermuda rough can be difficult here.  I wonder, though, for match play would it not make sense to keep the rough down, to give the guys a better chance to "go for it?"  Just asking.

If you haven't noticed (and for what it's worth) you can pull up the course on Google satellite view, drag the little yellow man onto the golf course and look around a bit.  On the other hand, you can't take him into Seven Eagles, the gated part of the subdivision around the west side of the course.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 11:00:18 PM by Carl Johnson »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back