News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

Landmand merits discussion - All 18 holes under discussion
« on: September 15, 2022, 07:15:07 PM »
Ok people, do like we used to do and let's talk through this course.

Starting with hole 1. Probably the most comfortable tee shot until the 10th. Unless maybe you play further back than the chicken shit tees I play. Somebody else would know.

Cool green. Good preview of what's to come in that regard. My first putt could've been played 20 feet right or 15 left. I went right and lagged it well the first play - that was nice. Subsequent play stunk.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 05:53:06 PM by Jason Thurman »
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

John Mayhugh

Re: Landmand merits discussion - Hole 1
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 09:08:00 PM »
It's a friendly start of a tee shot. You can probably carry the bunkers to set up an easier second shot (better visibility), but you don't have to. We didn't have much wind, but that tee shot and subsequent ones would be a lot more worrisome into the wind. The green is one that you really have to pay attention to hole location to set up your approach, but then that's most of the greens!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 09:16:52 PM »
The first tee sets the stage for what you are about to experience. You can see for miles in the Nebraska prairie. The fairway is so wide you'd be embarrassed to miss it. I wasn't certain I could carry the bunkers so I hit it left and was left with a semi-blind uphill second shot. I could not see the bottom of the flagstick for the third shot and the green was full of movement. It is a benign beginning but a precursor of what is to come,
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

V_Halyard

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 10:11:01 PM »
Remember the audience though. It’s a ton of public golfers playing a big track for the first time. Those bunkers at the front edge of he fairway eat well. They are visual warning placed in a manner to encourage you to play your own game.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 09:02:11 AM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

David Kelly

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 10:12:58 PM »
Carrying the bunkers is probably doable if you are on the right tee but how many people trust their game enough on the first tee to take that on?  The greens are so large you really have to figure out your yardages because if you just shoot for the middle of the greens you are going to be left with long puts.  Our pin was on the back on #1, which was a couple of clubs difference from the front of the green.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Doug Bolls

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 11:53:03 PM »
As the short hitter of the group, and hitting from the forward (black) tees, I played well left of the bunkers on my tee shot.  The pin was front left just behind the greenside bunker - required a delicate shot to get close without going into the bunker. 
I couldn't see the flag on my 2nd shot, but got close on my 3rd and one putted.  Green is relatively flat in that area.
With the first part of the hole downhill and the 2nd part uphill, it's not exactly a "gentle handshake" - but it does serve as a good example of what's coming.
Hard fairway to miss unless you go straight at the bunkers.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2022, 11:57:23 PM »
When you are driving in from a long distance it’s all you can do to get to the first tee. Aim way left and don’t expect your legs to help. Perfect start to the trip.

Gary Kurth

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2022, 02:09:01 AM »
The first time player is likely to find the second shot problematic if the prevailing south wind is blowing.  They will play left off the tee and likely have a blind second shot.  They will need to favor the left side on the second shot, over the left fairway bunker.  If they push the 2nd, with a south wind and combined with a left to right sloped fairway, the ball will likely roll into the...I don't know what to call it; the half bare dirt or long grass/stuff.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2022, 08:56:42 AM »
Let's get to 2 quickly. The course is routed for that, after all.

The tee shot provides the course's first true outside-the-box moment. Standing on the tee, I could hear my weekend buddies back home asking "Where in the hell are we supposed to hit it?"

I found the answer pretty straightforward though. This introduces a dichotomy at play at Landmand - as audacious as the course gets, the path to success often is fairly simple. Stay left of the bunker right. No need to take on undue risk challenging the bunker left. Hit straight at it with something that will stay short, and leave yourself a simple approach with a wedge or short iron. The green looks savage but holds shots well.

Hacks like me are prone to bad shots, but isn't this one just a simple test of execution? Is there any reason to take a different tact?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jason Thurman

Re: Landmand merits discussion - Hole 2 in progress
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2022, 08:59:19 AM »
Gary raises a good point - the gunsch or wooga or whatever we're going to call it at Landmand needs a name...

V_Halyard

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2022, 09:06:50 AM »
Hole 2 gives some visual cues. There is a crease in the fairway that hints at a safe line of charm. The subtle tilt to the right is a warning.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

David Wuthrich

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2022, 09:43:41 AM »
Let's get to 2 quickly. The course is routed for that, after all.

The tee shot provides the course's first true outside-the-box moment. Standing on the tee, I could hear my weekend buddies back home asking "Where in the hell are we supposed to hit it?"

I found the answer pretty straightforward though. This introduces a dichotomy at play at Landmand - as audacious as the course gets, the path to success often is fairly simple. Stay left of the bunker right. No need to take on undue risk challenging the bunker left. Hit straight at it with something that will stay short, and leave yourself a simple approach with a wedge or short iron. The green looks savage but holds shots well.

Hacks like me are prone to bad shots, but isn't this one just a simple test of execution? Is there any reason to take a different tact?

There is a reason to take a different tact.  If you challenge the bunker on the left and hit it left of that, there is a "speed slot" there and your ball will likely funnel all the way onto the green.  Big risk, but big reward!

Jason Thurman

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2022, 11:02:41 AM »
David, have you seen that happen? I tried that shot once the intensity of Mashie competition gave way to a hit-and-giggle skins game. I hit it about as well as I could have and flew the bunker, which I need to mention because who knows how many more times in my life I'm going to carry a ball 250 yards. I ended up with a very downhill 95 yarder.

Are you telling me I'm just not a long enough hitter to pull this one off even from the chicken shit tees I insisted on playing? Totally fair if so, but I'm not sure that play is viable for anyone other than, well, guys who don't even think twice when faced with a 250+ yard carry. That's a pretty small subset of golfers, and the numbers get more stringent the further back the tees go.

Joe Melchiors

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2022, 11:25:45 AM »
Cal flew the bunker on the left and ended up on the fringe of the 2nd when we were playing for fun.  Good play if you are feeling pretty good and can fly it.  I actually liked to hit just short of the left bunker where I could still see the green.  Short shot from there and takes out all the trouble and potentially right kicks when going through the slot or over the right bunker.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2022, 11:32:42 AM »
David, have you seen that happen? I tried that shot once the intensity of Mashie competition gave way to a hit-and-giggle skins game. I hit it about as well as I could have and flew the bunker, which I need to mention because who knows how many more times in my life I'm going to carry a ball 250 yards. I ended up with a very downhill 95 yarder.

Are you telling me I'm just not a long enough hitter to pull this one off even from the chicken shit tees I insisted on playing? Totally fair if so, but I'm not sure that play is viable for anyone other than, well, guys who don't even think twice when faced with a 250+ yard carry. That's a pretty small subset of golfers, and the numbers get more stringent the further back the tees go.

Jason,

I was there the same day as David and 2 players in our afternoon group hit their drives into the slot (from the tips mind you) and ended up wishing 5yds of the green's edge. These guys were big hitters (inc. Rob Collins), but it reminded me that that the rest of us mere mortals should be choosing closer tee boxes to have the most fun.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2022, 11:40:40 AM »
Gary raises a good point - the gunsch or wooga or whatever we're going to call it at Landmand needs a name...

We were there last Friday.
I suggest we call it "The Corn."
(Thematically it works.)
All I know is you can't chip out of it like a regular greenside chip.
Or I couldn't.

V_Halyard

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2022, 11:41:06 AM »
Cal flew the bunker on the left and ended up on the fringe of the 2nd when we were playing for fun.  Good play if you are feeling pretty good and can fly it.  I actually liked to hit just short of the left bunker where I could still see the green.  Short shot from there and takes out all the trouble and potentially right kicks when going through the slot or over the right bunker.
Yep, that is a speed slot and "Line of Charm". That said, the right side bunker marks a "Line of Woe..."

Gary Kurth

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2022, 01:38:50 PM »
The only 'problem' for Hole #2 is that when you are on the green trying to read a putt, it's too easy to lose focus if you happen to look to the south.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2022, 01:57:53 PM »
If we had a picture to go with the hole number it might facilitate discussion. I’m blessed to never know and rarely care the hole number of which I play. Its an odd affliction that I don’t care to cure.

Joe Melchiors

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2022, 03:14:58 PM »
Here's a pic of 2 from Tim Gavrich - Golf pass. This seems to be taken from just past the left bunker.

You can see how the safe shot over/in between the bunkers will tend to collect towards the right.  The left, hero, shot can tumble off the knob on the left, though there is a risk that it will end up left off the green and that's really bad.

(If I'm not allowed to cross post this, let me know)
https://www.golfpass.com/travel-advisor/photo-galleries/photos-every-hole-at-the-brand-new-landmand-golf-club

V_Halyard

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2022, 04:19:55 PM »
The only 'problem' for Hole #2 is that when you are on the green trying to read a putt, it's too easy to lose focus if you happen to look to the south.
Quite a reveal

Jason Thurman

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2022, 04:25:09 PM »
Honestly I was thinking "corn" too, Bruce. It's more accurate than 98% of the uses of "heather" when it's inaccurate, and it's accurate 25% of the time.

V_Halyard

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2022, 04:37:14 PM »
Landmand #2 tee shot with our pal Tye

Landmand 2 Fairway

Landmand 2 Green

Jake Marvin

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2022, 04:53:00 PM »
I would like to see some form of explanation of pin placement on the #2 tee box. An arrow or something would do fine. One could derive an advantage by going left of the bunker for a few pin positions, but I'm never going to default to that angle unless I know what I'm hitting to.

Because of that, it struck me as one of the more one-dimensional holes on the course. I'm always going to try to hit the drive between the bunkers and hit a wedge in.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2022, 05:36:25 PM »
Landmand #2 tee shot with our pal Tye

Landmand 2 Fairway

Landmand 2 Green

Was Tye the young man mentioned on the Rob Collins podcast (TGH 90 -- very good interview if you haven't listened)? That backswing would seem like a fit for the story.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back