News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re: Why Nebraska?
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2022, 01:56:45 PM »
Those dudes climbing that hill are hilarious.

I've made a similar climb on my local muni many times, maybe a hundred. The game is about the walk, as said in GITK. I hated that book, but love that sentiment.

Why Nebraska? The land looks compelling. That's the most interesting thing to me, as a well-above-14 handicapper. I don't get to play often enough to get that down, but it certainly looks interesting.

The people who post on here are spoiled. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's worth considering. Most golfers simply don't have the ways or means to play that much.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2022, 02:07:03 PM »

I've made a similar climb on my local muni many times, maybe a hundred. The game is about the walk, as said in GITK. I hated that book, but love that sentiment.

Why Nebraska? The land looks compelling. That's the most interesting thing to me, as a well-above-14 handicapper. I don't get to play often enough to get that down, but it certainly looks interesting.

The people who post on here are spoiled. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's worth considering. Most golfers simply don't have the ways or means to play that much.

George,

Me and you have spent the last 20 years discussing access. How does maximum exposure help anyone, outside the storytellers, get a tee time at a private club?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2022, 03:55:44 PM »
Barney,

If pictures and drone shots are no good, (which I will go on record in 100% agreeance with what Vaughn said), sounds like you need to schedule a BuddyUpTM trip with your guys and head to Landmand.  I've already got my trip in the planning stages to get out that way next fall...

Jason Thurman

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2022, 04:09:34 PM »
John has already been to Landmand. His thoughts were quoted, poorly, all weekend.

I do shiver to think how ridiculous we must've looked on Monday afternoon. I sure hope Vaughn didn't have the drone running when we left 16 green.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2022, 05:05:55 PM »
John has already been to Landmand. His thoughts were quoted, poorly, all weekend.

I do shiver to think how ridiculous we must've looked on Monday afternoon. I sure hope Vaughn didn't have the drone running when we left 16 green.

Jason,

Thanks. I bet more happiness would have been had had my advice been heeded. Specifically, don’t drive or walk past your ball to evaluate your options. Embrace the unfairness of innocence. Yea, I found the right rough on my layup on 1. Nobody cares.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2022, 08:29:08 PM »
Drive about 20 miles north of North Platte, pull over on the side of the highway, face east and take a picture. Send it to friends and they will ask what course it is and tell you how cool it looks.

You tell them it's not a course, it's just the sand hills, if that open expanse of dunes doesn't make them wanna visit then find new friends.

I second this emotion.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2022, 06:41:49 PM »
There is no conflict with college football on Saturdays. :D

(When Frank Leahy moved on from coaching at Notre Dame he moved to Oregon. When asked why he said that there was no college football there. The Leahy's were next door neighbors when I was doing K-12.)

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2022, 04:44:06 AM »

George,

Me and you have spent the last 20 years discussing access. How does maximum exposure help anyone, outside the storytellers, get a tee time at a private club?

As a guy who dislikes golf course photos, drone shots must really get up yer nose. I am not sure why it all matters to you so much, but I do notice you are mellowing with age .

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 03:36:02 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Matthew Rose

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2022, 05:40:22 AM »

Yeah, that one hurts.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2022, 11:42:03 AM »

Yeah, that one hurts.

So I take it the answer is not that the local economy needs a boost to fund Scott Frost’s buyout.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Hendren

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2022, 11:50:51 AM »
She needs wide open spaces.
- The Dixie Chicks

I love the vastness of the state.

Just bringing if the full circle Barney as I recall you once referred to Natalie as “the fat Dixie Chick.”
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 11:57:07 AM by Mike Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Josh Bills

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2022, 12:59:06 PM »
Here are a few from my visit in 2014. Loved it all.

Ken Moum

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2022, 05:38:11 PM »
My best answer is based on my reaction to the sand hills back in the 1980s when I drove through several times on my way to Arizona from Pierre, SD.

Every time I thought, "This looks like a golf course."

It did, and it does.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Terry Lavin

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2022, 05:54:59 PM »
It’s interesting that Hutchinson Kansas was discovered many decades earlier, when the Carey family decided to build a golf course on the land above their played-out salt mine. Without Prairie Dunes, would Sand Hills and Dismal River still have come to be?

Probably so, but isn’t it interesting that PD may have invented the Midwestern sand/land model, only to wait decades for Dick Youngscap to fly over Mullen NE and decide to give it a go?

I’m all fired up bc I’m headed to PD for a few days. One of the greatest road trips in American golf.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 05:56:54 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2022, 06:13:24 PM »
PD is a miracle.

Steve Lang

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2022, 06:24:28 PM »
Josh,Thank you for those pictures. I have forwarded them to my friend. I was hoping that you were going to post a painting you had created from the region. I would be thrilled if you shared a few. Or even better, post that painting you did of me at TOC. Be nice to get it entered into the anals of GCA.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2022, 08:19:26 PM »
PD is a miracle.

The result of a volcanic event that started in Mexico, or so I’ve heard. I just love the course and the welcoming nature of the local members.

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2022, 04:31:18 PM »
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 04:57:04 PM by Edward Glidewell »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2022, 09:31:27 AM »
Why Nebraska?

The people.

I visited Sand Hills in 2011.   July 4, 2001, to be exact.   Drove out from Pennsylvania.

The staff there and at Dismal River was beyond wonderful.   At SH, they urged us to go to the Mullen fireworks show (we didn't do it, and it's still a regret).   I enjoyed my time at Ben's porch talking with Coach that we didn't do a 2nd round.    And the entire crew at Dismal was friendly, kind, and knew how to laugh with us.

No sense of entitlement.   No sense of snootiness.   Just friendly people, the type of which you too rarely find in golf adventures.

Steve Lang

« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2022, 03:58:33 PM »
 8)  Besides Wild Horse played with Adam and the Fifth Major experienced at Dismal's Red & White , it could also be the Ogallala Aquifer or maybe just the fried chicken at the North Platte Airport.

So who grew more corn this year? Nebraska or Iowa??
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Buck Wolter

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2022, 03:57:51 PM »
8)  Besides Wild Horse played with Adam and the Fifth Major experienced at Dismal's Red & White , it could also be the Ogallala Aquifer or maybe just the fried chicken at the North Platte Airport.

So who grew more corn this year? Nebraska or Iowa??

Nebraska isn't even second --probably too many acres of production turned into golf courses
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2022, 04:41:23 PM »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2022, 08:07:43 PM »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

George Pazin

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2022, 04:48:48 PM »
I always think about this one (poached from Ran's SH profile, and I feel like I've seen other people take versions of the same pic):

Of all of the photos I've seen of Nebraska golf, this is one of the least compelling to me. Swap out native grasses for cactus and it's too much like the Arizona golf I haven't enjoyed, other than it's golf, which is admittedly better than most things.

I'll take a Dick Daley photo of Wild Horse any and every day of the week.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back