News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Why Nebraska?
« on: September 15, 2022, 10:59:58 AM »
It’s not uncommon for people to ask me why I love Nebraska golf. What is the best picture that I could send by text that represents my affection? Btw: My friends aren’t the type to enjoy drone photos or surrealistic angle shots.

Sam Morrow

Re: Why Nebraska?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 11:04:22 AM »
Drive about 20 miles north of North Platte, pull over on the side of the highway, face east and take a picture. Send it to friends and they will ask what course it is and tell you how cool it looks.

You tell them it's not a course, it's just the sand hills, if that open expanse of dunes doesn't make them wanna visit then find new friends.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 11:48:14 AM »
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/color]
[color=rgba(0

Lots of variety
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 10:37:54 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 11:52:23 AM »
The answer is fairly simple John,

Just tell them its "land fit for golf"...and if they don't understand that, its as expected because few people are interested enough to understand what that means anyways.

P.S.  I didn't take you for an external validation kind of guy, you know why you love Nebraska and that's all you need right? ;)

Jason Thurman

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 12:51:01 PM »
I always think about this one (poached from Ran's SH profile, and I feel like I've seen other people take versions of the same pic):

"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

George Freeman

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 05:37:58 PM »
Thurman nailed it.  End of thread.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2022, 09:47:57 PM »
I always think about this one (poached from Ran's SH profile, and I feel like I've seen other people take versions of the same pic):

I could never get a 14 handicap to look at that turpitude of penalty and think fun. Thread on.   

V_Halyard

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2022, 10:08:48 PM »
It’s not uncommon for people to ask me why I love Nebraska golf. What is the best picture that I could send by text that represents my affection? Btw: My friends aren’t the type to enjoy drone photos or surrealistic angle shots.
Ha. I’ve been rocking UAV cinema cameras and drinks before the drone was a thing. Also fight for Nebraska public golf including the kid who is #1 in the state in his age group at rocks it on public and non famous tracks.

Careful, don’t hate the drone you don’t know. Content is a real business. The drone show folks features they never knew why that should be appreciated.
Drone hate is GCA self loathing.
If your friends don’t like them. It’s fine but stay in the lane.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 10:15:29 PM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2022, 10:24:52 PM »
When reality isn’t enough turn to content.

V_Halyard

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2022, 10:32:20 PM »
Again, if you don’t have access to reality or access to great gca golf, or even good golf, the content is informative, entertaining, illustrative, and aspirational.

You’re acting as if everyone can play a great golf course. Most can’t or don’t. The content gives folks access and expands the potential market.

You’re talking from the inside of a golf snob bubble. Some of the kids I work with have no idea what a decent gca course is, and the simple entree is a picture “that looks cool.”

Drones deliver something that looks cool, better, and, different than the shitty bunkerless circle mossy greens and rocky fairways they play. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 10:42:39 PM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2022, 10:42:55 PM »
Again, if you don’t have access to reality or access to great gca golf, or even good golf, the content is informative, entertaining, illustrative, and aspirational.

You’re acting as if everyone can play a great golf course. Most can’t or don’t. The content gives folks access and expands the potential market.

If I wasn’t clear in my opening post I wanted a picture for my friend. During a conversation this week my host asked me in a very genuine manner why I went to Nebraska to play golf. I could have used a picture that takes at most 3 seconds to view to illustrate my point. If he wanted a drone shot he’d fly over the damn course.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 10:44:27 PM by John Kavanaugh »

V_Halyard

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2022, 10:45:45 PM »

If I wasn’t clear in my opening post I wanted a picture for my friend. During a conversation this week my host asked me in a very genuine manner why I went to Nebraska to play golf. I could have used a picture that takes at most 3 seconds to view on my to illustrate my point. If he wanted a drone shot he’d fly over the damn course.
All good, just calling bullshit on you taking the time to snob shit on drone shots that have expanded appreciation of gca beyond the confines of this fine room.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2022, 10:53:28 PM »
I have a very long history of disliking drones. They are bad for golf and have no place in recreational life. Drones are the vape pens of cameras. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 10:58:12 PM by John Kavanaugh »

V_Halyard

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2022, 01:58:47 AM »
I have a very long history of disliking drones. They are bad for golf and have no place in recreational life. Drones are the vape pens of cameras.

Lol. You’re entitled to you’re opinion. Facts are they have expanded gca’s visual storytelling opportunities.  Like anything, not all output is equal but as a storytelling tool they are invaluable.

As a pro storyteller who has to work with all manner of visual film, audio, and musical production media, both analog and digital, the drone has expanded pop culture awareness of the value of golf’s architectural features. That is positive for golf and golf architecture.

They also add perspective and scale. As a professional, I embrace tools that improve the creative process, we embrace it. You almost sound as if you miss the VHS tape and Sony Trinitron.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2022, 09:41:49 AM »

As a pro storyteller who has to work with all manner of visual film, audio, and musical production media, both analog and digital, the drone has expanded pop culture awareness of the value of golf’s architectural features. That is positive for golf and golf architecture.

Agree with Vaughn, drones have taken the visuals of golf to a new level and welcomed. In the old days you had to rent a helicopter with a cameraman doing a low flyover. Or view from the blimp, or high cherry pickers at the Open. Drones provide great views not otherwise provided. Most courses have a drone video of each hole now on their website for a reason. Online golf sites post these when profiling a course. I can't imagine why anyone would be against this advancement.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2022, 10:05:05 AM »
The market is quickly proving that courses which ban drone videos are where we most desire to play.

V_Halyard

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2022, 10:34:22 AM »
The market is quickly proving that courses which ban drone videos are where we most desire to play.

That's elitist bullshit blather. Sure courses can ban drones. 
This one has made significant investment in golf architecture for public consumption and welcomes exposure.
Courses can choose to ban drones based on their desire for privacy, and that is not an issue.
You typing the phrase "The market is quickly proving that courses which ban drone videos are where we most desire to play." tells me you and I have fundamental philosophical differences with regard to more people gaining access to great golf architecture.

And let's be clear, I have been blessed to be able to play "Top 0-10’s" golf courses but will always actively fight for folks ability to access the best architecture available.
Landmand has made significant investments in golf architecture for public consumption and welcomes exposure.
Typing the phrase "The market is quickly proving that courses which ban drone videos are where we most desire to play" is exactly the crap the gives champions of great GCA golf a bad name and was used as a smoke screen to keep various classes and ethnicities from accessing great golf. That school is closed.

BTW, seems to be a really nice piece on this Sand Hills place showing Fried Egg Drone footage. 
Gosh I think that qualifies as a place "we might desire to play" in a thread about golf in Nebraska. 
You're pissing up a tree.  Don't use "we". I don’t want to be sprayed by your mist.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 11:03:01 AM by V_Halyard »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2022, 11:02:35 AM »
Why so angry? I just wanted a picture to show a friend.

V_Halyard

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2022, 11:04:20 AM »
Why so angry? I just wanted a picture to show a friend.
Typing things like "The market is quickly proving that courses which ban drone videos are where we most desire to play" is a trigger.
You've never been directed to park in an employee parking lot when you arrive at a private club to join your host as a guest and have to explain it to the guard to the point where they ask you to "Please wait here" while they call the host and general manager for verification that you are actually a guest coming to play golf.

You need to realign your lens. That will trigger the arrival of "LA Vaughn". 
You don't want him in here.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 11:30:14 AM by V_Halyard »

Noah Jurik

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2022, 11:08:04 AM »
#5, Dismal River Red

It feels like you're the only person on the planet while you're visiting Dismal.

(PS- as a photographer, I think people can tend to use equipment such as drones as a crutch when other ideas are sparse, but they've been a true asset to me in capturing the depth of golf landscapes)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2022, 11:20:41 AM »
Noah,

That is perfect. The fact that I was a member there gives my story quality content.

Eric Smith

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2022, 01:08:34 PM »
Kav,

Is this what you had in mind?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2022, 01:21:00 PM »
Those dudes climbing that hill are hilarious.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2022, 01:42:02 PM »
I have been enjoying the various threads about Nebraska. It strikes me if there is one place in the US where a tour operator similar to those in the UK&I could make a go of it is in the Sand Hills. One call and tee times, transportation, and lodging arranged.

Wisconsin/Michigan might be the other place. A boat ride across Lake Michigan included.

Ira

PS I agree with JK about drones although appreciate that there are exceptions. Nothing like being able to contemplate a great photo.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 08:33:01 AM by Ira Fishman »

Gary Kurth

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2022, 01:48:47 PM »

Ha. I’ve been rocking UAV cinema cameras and drinks before the drone was a thing. Also fight for Nebraska public golf including the kid who is #1 in the state in his age group at rocks it on public and non famous tracks.

It was great to chat with Tye at the Omaha CC putting green.  Real nice kid with a great swing.  He shot 1-under at Landmand from the whites last week.  Post round, he said his first time at Omaha CC didn't quite go as well.  Scary good.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back