News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ward peyronnin

Palmetto Bluff: A surfeit of
« on: September 14, 2022, 12:00:40 PM »
golf riches.
As many of you know the May River Golf Course is a top flight Nicklaus course; one of his top ten in some circles.
Now new ownership has committed to add more high quality golf on property.
Starting next month King Collins will build a reversable play "executive style" course in a very accessable part of the community.
Then Coore and Crenshaw will layout an 18 hole course on the west part of the property. I was allowed to peek the proposal King Collins submitted for this regulation layout and the piece of property dedicated at that allows for 10 or more holes along the water and should result in one of the more exciting additions to eastern seaboard golf in the last decade.
All in all quite a golf compound on the horizon
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Steve_Roths

Re: Palmetto Bluff: A surfeit of
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 12:47:17 PM »
All remaining public?

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 05:10:11 PM »
All remaining public?

We were down there in in June of 2021. Buddy of mine (at home course) is club champ at May River and I played it twice.
Liked it all and exceeded expectations.

Spoke to dir of golf, too. They had been speaking with CC, TD (I believe), Gil Hanse and I think DMK, too. I think the CC selection was deemed to be "safest" for them especially in light of Chechessee Creek being so well-regarded.

Def NO public access. In fact, you cannot even enter the property gate that is some 5+ miles away unless you are "on the list".
There is a Montage Hotel there and there is limited guest access from the Montage at a $350 rate I believe and it may include a caddy (no tip).

The whole Palmetto Bluff vibe is a tad surreal. A little too "Truman Show" for us....;-)

Plus, I dont want to see some tech-douche sales reps on their "presidents club" incentive award trip at the Montage riding bikes around MY neighborhood...;-)...unless I had a sling-shot and a bowl of pachinko balls....;-)

But at 20,000 acres and only 4000 or so homesites (or is it 2000), it def works for some.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 04:32:23 PM »
Ian
Pretty close summarization.

PB is 20000 acres 10K of which are marsh and other unbuildable areas. The golf is public only in the sense that you have to be an inn guest and those rooms start at $700 a night. The development is open to the public and anyone can get a day guest pass at the gate to dine or shop or wander around.
I tried for years to convince management to consider my friend Rob Collins and the (former) director of golf threw cold water on them. When the property sold last year the new management did add King Collins to the mix you mention and it is their very cool proposal for the new 18 I was able to view. C&C was scheduled to design the second 18 back in 2006 when I first came down to look over the property so they had a strong position entering the fray.  All the infrastructure in PB is world class and I expect no less going forward. Full disclosure though; I have recently left PB and set up at Colleton River down the road.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 07:46:32 AM »
Ward,

This is great news! While your friends will miss sleepovers at Mt Pelia, I'm sure we will be more than satisfied with the new digs.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back